Parity and time reversal on derivatives and electric field?

In summary: P}}_{\mu}=\mathrm{diag}(1,0,0,0)\,.$$In summary, the electric field, ##A_\mu##, is the 4-vector potential that is the sum of the electric field due to every point charge and the electromagnetic force. The four operators that transform the electric field are parity reversal, time reversal, charge conjugation, and the antiunitary time-reversal operator.
Jonsson
I am trying to learn how parity and time reversal transform the electric field, ##A_\mu## and ##\partial_\mu##. In other words what: what are ##P \partial_\mu P##, ##T \partial_\mu T##, ##T A_\mu T## and ##P A_\mu P##?

My first guess was that ##P A_\mu(t,\vec{x}) P = A_\mu(t,-\vec{x})##, ##T A_\mu(t,\vec{x}) T = A_\mu(-t,\vec{x})##, ##P \partial_\mu(t,\vec{x}) P = \partial_\mu(t,-\vec{x})##, ##T \partial_\mu(t,\vec{x}) T = \partial_\mu(-t,\vec{x})##, but this gives the wrong answer when I try to do exercises. So there's probably something that I don't understand correctly.

I've looked in Peskin, and searched the internet, and I cannot find the the answer to this. These would be useful to anyone starting out with QED, so it would be good if someone would give me the answer I'd be very greateful :)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Jonsson said:
the electric field, ##A_\mu##

The 4-vector ##A_{\mu}## is the electromagnetic potential, not the electric field. The electromagnetic field (which is the proper term) is ##F_{\mu \nu} = \partial_{\mu} A_{\nu} - \partial_{\nu} A_{\mu}##. But for this discussion we should probably stick with the potential ##A_{\mu}##.

[Edit: removed incorrect statement about how the operators are applied.]

Jonsson said:
there's probably something that I don't understand correctly.

In addition to the above, yes, there is. You are thinking of ##P## and ##T## as "flipping spacetime" (so to speak) along a spatial or time axis. But that's not really the right way to think of them. You need to think of them as transforming vectors at a point into different vectors at the same point.

It might help to take a step back and see where these things ##P## and ##T## come from in the spacetime picture. Consider the entire set of 4-vectors at some point in Minkowski spacetime; call this set ##V##. There is a group ##L## of transformations, which is usually called the "Lorentz group" (though that term is also used for one of its subgroups, see below), that consists of all possible transformations that take every vector in ##V## to some other vector in ##V##. But it turns out that these transformations fall into four classes.

The first class, which is a subgroup of the full group ##L##, is correctly called the "proper orthochronous Lorentz group", but is sometimes just called the "Lorentz group", with its elements being called "Lorentz transformations" (instead of "proper orthochronous Lorentz transformations"). This class includes the identity transformation, and consists of all transformations in ##V## that are continuously connected to the identity. It is often broken up further into "rotations" (more precisely spatial rotations) and "boosts" (though some transformations in this class are combinations of the two). This class takes timelike vectors into other timelike vectors in the same light cone (future or past), and takes right- (left-) handed triplets of spacelike vectors into other right- (left-) handed triplets of spacelike vectors. In other words, these transformations "preserve orientation" in both time and space.

The three other classes of transformations in ##L## are just those that are obtained by combining some transformation in the first class with one of three discrete transformations: ##P##, ##T##, or ##PT##. The first two are usually called "parity reversal" and "time reversal"; the third is just a combination of both. Given a transformation ##\Lambda## in ##L##, the transformation ##P \Lambda## takes timelike vectors into other timelike vectors in the same light cone, but takes right- (left-) handed triplets of spacelike vectors into left- (right-) handed triplets. So it reverses spatial orientation but not time orientation. The transformation ##T \Lambda##, by contrast, takes timelike vectors in the future (past) light cone into timelike vectors in the past (future) light cone, so it reverses time orientation but not spatial orientation. The transformation ##P T \Lambda## reverses both orientations.

Now, from the above, it should be evident that there is no single answer to the questions of what is ##P A_{\mu}##, ##T A_{\mu}##, ##P \partial_{\mu}##, ##T \partial_{\mu}##. You need to know what kinds of vectors these are (timelike or spacelike--or null, but we can leave those out for the time being). For example, if we are talking about the vector ##\partial_t##, which is timelike, then it will be unaffected by ##P## but will change sign under ##T##; but if we are talking about the vector ##\partial_x##, which is spacelike, it will change sign under ##P## (as will ##\partial_y## and ##\partial_z##), but will be unaffected by ##T##.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the Op's notation. Are you dealing with quantum fields (i.e., field operators)? Then you have unitary parity and charge conjugation operators and a antiunitary time-reversal operator ##\hat{P}##, ##\hat{C}##, and ##\hat{T}##, defined on Fock space. From these you have to distinguish the corresponding matrices transforming the space-time arguments. Let's concentrate on parity (space reflection). The corresponding Lorentz matrix is ##{\mathcal{P}^\mu}_{\nu}=\mathrm{diag}(1,-1,-1,-1)##. QED admits a parity transformation, i.e., it is space-reflection co-variant. Thus you have (for the field operators),
$$A^{\prime \mu}(x)=\hat{P} \hat{A}^{\mu}(x) \hat{P}={\mathcal{P}^{\mu}}_{\nu} \hat{A}(\mathcal{P} x),$$
where I've used ##\mathcal{P}^{-1}=\mathcal{P}##.

vanhees71 said:
Are you dealing with quantum fields (i.e., field operators)?

Yes exactly.

My professor hasn't taught this, yet we are expected to know it. o_O The whole class is stuck :smile:

So how do the rest transform? I am just making a wild guess, please let me know if it's right or wrong:

Does there exist a matrix ##{\mathcal{T}^\mu}_\nu = \text{diag}(-1,1,1,1)## such that:
$$
T A^\mu(x) T = {\mathcal{T}^\mu}_\nu A^\mu ({\mathcal{T}^\mu}_\nu x), \qquad T \partial^\mu(x) T = {\mathcal{T}^\mu}_\nu \partial^\mu ({\mathcal{T}^\mu}_\nu x) ?
$$

And
$$
P \partial^\mu(x) P = {\mathcal{P}^\mu}_\nu \partial^\mu ({\mathcal{P}^\mu}_\nu x)?
$$

Or are these not completely correct?

Thank you for your time :)

I don't undestand your notation. ##\hat{P}## commutes with c-numbers and derivatives with respect to c-numbers. It's an operator in Hilbert space (Fock space of photons in this case). Forget time reversal for a moment. It's more complicated since ##\hat{T}## is antiunitary.

vanhees71 said:
Are you dealing with quantum fields (i.e., field operators)?

Jonsson said:
Yes exactly.

Ah, ok, in this case ##P A P## (which should actually be ##P A P^{-1}##, but as vanhees71 says, ##P = P^{-1}##) is correct, since you're applying ##P## to an operator, not a state. (But there is still an additional wrinkle with ##T##, as vanhees71 says.)

Ok, thank you for your replies :)

(1) Did i get guess the transformation rule for parity acting on the derivative correctly?

(2) Clearly if T is antiunitary, then ## {\mathcal{T}^\mu}_\nu \neq \mathrm{diag}(-1,1,1,1) ##

Will you please correct me and show me what the transformation rule for ##A_\mu## and ##\partial_\mu## is under time reversal? :)

Jonsson said:
(1) Did i get guess the transformation rule for parity acting on the derivative correctly?

Your notation still doesn't make sense. First of all, you have the same indexes ##\mu## and ##\nu## appearing too many times in your expressions; that doesn't make sense. Second, ##x## is a 4-vector (spacetime position), so it has an index too; you can't properly express the result of applying the matrix ##\mathcal{P}## to ##x## without the index.

For example, vanhees71's expression

vanhees71 said:
Thus you have (for the field operators),
$$
A^{\prime \mu}(x)=\hat{P} \hat{A}^{\mu}(x) \hat{P}={\mathcal{P}^{\mu}}_{\nu} \hat{A}(\mathcal{P} x)
$$​

would be written in index notation as

$$
\hat{A^{\prime \mu}} (x^{\alpha}) = \mathcal{P}^{\mu}{}_{\nu} \hat{A^{\nu}} (\mathcal{P}^{\alpha}{}_{\beta} x^{\beta})
$$

Notice how the free indexes match on both sides of the equation, and how indexes that are repeated appear once "upstairs" and once "downstairs", indicating summation.

Likes vanhees71
It should have said ##T A(x) T = {\mathcal{T}^\mu}_\nu A^\nu ({\mathcal{T}^\sigma}_\rho x^\rho), \ T \partial(x) T = {\mathcal{T}^\mu}_\nu \partial^\nu ({\mathcal{T}^\sigma}_\rho x^\rho)## and ## P \partial(x) P = {\mathcal{P}^\mu}_\nu \partial^\nu ({\mathcal{P}^\sigma}_\rho x^\rho)##. But I think these are incorrect.

Are you kindly able to tell me the correct transformation rules for ##A_\nu## and ##\partial_\gamma##?

Jonsson said:
I am trying to learn how parity and time reversal transform the electric field, ##A_\mu## and ##\partial_\mu##. In other words what: what are ##P \partial_\mu P##, ##T \partial_\mu T##, ##T A_\mu T## and ##P A_\mu P##?

My first guess was that ##P A_\mu(t,\vec{x}) P = A_\mu(t,-\vec{x})##, ##T A_\mu(t,\vec{x}) T = A_\mu(-t,\vec{x})##, ##P \partial_\mu(t,\vec{x}) P = \partial_\mu(t,-\vec{x})##, ##T \partial_\mu(t,\vec{x}) T = \partial_\mu(-t,\vec{x})##, but this gives the wrong answer when I try to do exercises. So there's probably something that I don't understand correctly.

I've looked in Peskin, and searched the internet, and I cannot find the the answer to this. These would be useful to anyone starting out with QED, so it would be good if someone would give me the answer I'd be very greateful :)

Thanks!

In field theory, you have to distinguish between the parity [itex]P[/itex] and time reversal [itex]T[/itex] transformations of coordinates from the corresponding quantum unitary [itex]\mathscr{P}[/itex] and anti-unitary [itex]\mathscr{T}[/itex] operators on the states and field operators:
[tex]P: \ (t , \vec{x}) \to (t , - \vec{x}) , \ \mbox{or} \ \ Px^{\mu} = x_{\mu} ,[/tex] [tex]T: \ (t , \vec{x}) \to (-t , \vec{x} ) , \ \mbox{or} \ \ Tx^{\mu} = - x_{\mu} ,[/tex]
[tex]\mathscr{P}: A_{\mu}(x) \to \mathscr{P} A_{\mu}(x) \mathscr{P}^{\dagger} = A^{\mu} (Px) , \ \ \ (1)[/tex] [tex]\mathscr{T}: A_{\mu}(x) \to \mathscr{T}A_{\mu}(x) \mathscr{T}^{\dagger} = A^{\mu}(Tx) . \ \ \ \ (2)[/tex]
These transformation laws of the photon field operator can be deduced from the invariance of the interaction term in the action integral [tex]S(t_{1},t_{2}) = \int_{\mathbb{R}^{3}} \int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}} \ dt \ d^{3} \vec{x} \ A_{\mu}(x) J^{\mu}(x) , \ \ \ \ (3)[/tex] and the known behaviour of the charge and current densities [itex](J^{0} , \vec{J})[/itex] under parity and time reversal: The electric charge is invariant under parity (looking at the charge from left or from the right should not change its value), i.e., [tex]\mathscr{P} Q \mathscr{P}^{\dagger} = Q = \int d^{3}\vec{x} \ J^{0}(x) .[/tex] This implies [tex]\mathscr{P} J^{0}(t , \vec{x}) \mathscr{P}^{\dagger} = J^{0}(t , - \vec{x}) .[/tex] However, parity reverses the direction of the current [itex]\vec{J}[/itex], i.e., [tex]\mathscr{P} \vec{J}(t , \vec{x}) \mathscr{P}^{\dagger} = -\vec{J} (t , -\vec{x}) .[/tex] So, for the 4-vector current, we have [tex]\mathscr{P} J^{\mu}(x) \mathscr{P}^{\dagger} = J_{\mu}(Px) . \ \ \ (4)[/tex] Thus, from (4) and the invariance of the action (3) we can read off the transformation law (1).
By the same reasoning, we deduce the transformation of [itex]J^{\mu}[/itex] under time reversal: [tex]\mathscr{T}J^{\mu}(x) \mathscr{T}^{\dagger} = J_{\mu}(Tx) \equiv J_{\mu} (-t , \vec{x}) . \ \ \ (5)[/tex] Now, you can easily show that (2) and (5) leave the action (3) invariant (up to time translation): Since now we have, under time reversal, [tex]A_{\mu}(x) J^{\mu} (x) \to A^{\mu}(-t , \vec{x}) J_{\mu}( -t , \vec{x}) ,[/tex] then
[tex]\mathscr{T}S(t_{1},t_{2}) \mathscr{T}^{\dagger} = \int_{\mathbb{R}^{3}} \int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}} d^{3}\vec{x} \ dt \ \mathcal{L}_{int}(-t , \vec{x}) .[/tex] Changing the integration variable [itex]t \to –t[/itex], we get
[tex]\mathscr{T}S(t_{1},t_{2}) \mathscr{T}^{\dagger} = \int_{\mathbb{R}^{3}} \int_{-t_{2}}^{-t_{1}} d^{3}\vec{x} \ dt \ \mathcal{L}_{int}(t , \vec{x}) = S(-t_{2} , -t_{1}).[/tex]
However, [itex]S(-t_{2},-t_{1})[/itex] can be related to the original action [itex]S(t_{1},t_{2})[/itex] by a time-translation which is also an assumed symmetry.
As for [itex]\partial_{\mu}[/itex], you need to know that, just like [itex]x^{\mu}[/itex], [itex]\partial_{\mu}[/itex] is not an operator in field theory. It transforms just like the coordinates: [tex]P \partial_{\mu} = \partial^{\mu}, \ \ \ T\partial_{\mu} = - \partial^{\mu} .[/tex]

Likes vortextor, Carrock, Jonsson and 1 other person
Thanks man! :)

1. What is parity in relation to derivatives and electric field?

Parity is a mathematical concept that refers to the symmetry or asymmetry of an object or system. In the context of derivatives and electric field, it represents the behavior of the system under a spatial inversion, where all coordinates are changed to their negative values. This can affect the properties and behavior of the system, such as the direction of the electric field or the sign of the derivative.

2. How does time reversal affect derivatives and electric field?

Time reversal is another mathematical concept that refers to the reversal of the direction of time in a system. In the context of derivatives and electric field, it represents the behavior of the system when time is reversed. This can have an impact on the behavior of the system, such as the direction and magnitude of the electric field or the sign and value of the derivative.

3. What is the relationship between parity and time reversal in derivatives and electric field?

In derivatives and electric field, there is a close relationship between parity and time reversal. This is because both concepts involve a change in the direction or orientation of the system. The combination of these two transformations can have a significant impact on the properties and behavior of the system, leading to interesting and complex phenomena.

4. How do parity and time reversal apply to real-world systems?

Parity and time reversal are fundamental concepts in physics and can be applied to various real-world systems, including derivatives and electric field. For example, the behavior of molecules and atoms can be affected by these transformations, leading to phenomena such as optical activity and magnetic moments. These concepts are also relevant in particle physics and cosmology, where they help explain the behavior of subatomic particles and the evolution of the universe.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding parity and time reversal in derivatives and electric field?

Understanding the concepts of parity and time reversal in derivatives and electric field has numerous practical applications in different fields, such as engineering, materials science, and telecommunications. It can help in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, sensors, and devices by predicting their behavior under different conditions. It also has applications in signal processing and image recognition, where understanding the symmetry and asymmetry of a system is crucial.