Partial Derivatives and Implicit Function Thm.

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a system of algebraic equations and the use of partial derivatives to do so. The participants are confused about a specific step, where the partial derivatives are expressed in a certain form. They discuss the implications of this and come to the conclusion that the adding of the term p_i has no effect on the partial derivative.
qspeechc
Hi.

So I'm reading a physics book and I come across the following passage:

Let [itex]p=(p_1,p_2,...,p_n)[/itex] and [itex]q=(q_1,q_2,...,q_n)[/itex] and the system of n algebraic equations
[itex]g_r(p,q)=0, \quad r\in \{1,2,...,n\}[/itex]
can be solved with respect to the [itex]p_i[/itex] in the form [itex]p_i=\phi _i(q)[/itex] for [itex]i\in \{1,2,...,n\}[/itex]
Then we have
[itex]\frac{d}{dq_h}g_r(\phi ,q)=0[/itex]
where [itex]\phi =(\phi _1,...,\phi _n)[/itex]. If we denote [itex]G_r(q)=g_r(\phi ,q)[/itex] then the last relation gives

[itex]0=\frac{\partial}{\partial q_h}G_s = \Big[\frac{\partial g_s}{\partial q_h} + \sum_{i=1}^{n}\frac{\partial g_s}{\partial p_i}\frac{\partial \phi _i}{\partial q_h} \Big]_{p=\phi (q)}[/itex]

Ok, up to this point I'm fairly confident I'm following along. But then they do the following:

Therefore the partial derivatives can be expressed in the form
[itex]\frac{\partial g_s}{\partial q_h} = \sum_{i=1}^n\frac{\partial g_s}{\partial p_i}\frac{\partial (p_i-\phi _i)}{\partial q_h}[/itex]

and I have no idea where this comes from. I am guessing here that [itex]p_i=\phi _i(q)[/itex] is only in some sufficiently small region and not the entire space, since they do not explicitly say anything in this regard, so that [itex]p_i-\phi _i[/itex] is not identically zero on the whole space, so I do not know where the above comes from. This is probably something really simple and I'm just being stupid, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Anyone :frown:
Please?

What is the implication of

[tex]\frac{\partial p_i}{\partial q_h}\,=\,0[/tex]

If
[tex]\frac{\partial p_i}{\partial q_h} = 0[/tex]
then
[tex]\frac{\partial \phi _i}{\partial q_h} = 0[/tex]
in the region where [tex]p_i=\phi _i[/tex], and outside this region, well, it's identically zero since [tex]p_i[/tex] is not explicitly a function of the [tex]q_i[/tex]'s. Am I on the right track? I don't see where these train-tracks are leading.

Aha! Does this mean that, regardless of where we are in the space, if we have the [tex]p_i[/tex] as a function of the [tex]q_i[/tex] or not, the adding of the term [tex]p_i[/tex] has no effect of the partial derivative because:
If we are in the region where [tex]p_i-\phi _i=0[/tex] the partial derivatives
[tex]\frac{\partial g_s}{\partial q_h} = 0[/tex]
anyway, and if we are outside this region then
[tex]\frac{\partial p_i}{\partial q_h} = 0[/tex]
Is this right?

Ok, anyone please? Even if it's just a " yea I don't get that either"...

1. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a type of derivative used in multivariable calculus to measure how a function changes with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant.

2. What is the difference between partial derivatives and ordinary derivatives?

Partial derivatives are calculated with respect to one variable while holding all others constant, while ordinary derivatives are calculated with respect to one variable without considering the others.

3. What is the Implicit Function Theorem?

The Implicit Function Theorem is a fundamental theorem in multivariable calculus that states that under certain conditions, a function defined implicitly by an equation can be expressed explicitly in terms of one of its variables.

4. How is the Implicit Function Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Implicit Function Theorem is used in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to analyze relationships between variables that are not explicitly defined. It allows for the study of systems that may be too complex to solve explicitly.

5. What are some common uses of partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives have various applications in fields such as optimization, economics, and physics. They are used to find maximum and minimum values of functions, analyze the sensitivity of a system to changes in variables, and calculate rates of change in multivariable systems.