1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Derivatives and Implicit Function Thm.

1. Oct 12, 2009 #1
    Hi.

So I'm reading a physics book and I come across the following passage:

Ok, up to this point I'm fairly confident I'm following along. But then they do the following:

and I have no idea where this comes from. I am guessing here that [itex]p_i=\phi _i(q)[/itex] is only in some sufficiently small region and not the entire space, since they do not explicitly say anything in this regard, so that [itex]p_i-\phi _i[/itex] is not identically zero on the whole space, so I do not know where the above comes from. This is probably something really simple and I'm just being stupid, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2009 #2
    Anyone :frown:
    Please?

4. Oct 13, 2009 #3

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is the implication of

[tex]\frac{\partial p_i}{\partial q_h}\,=\,0[/tex]

5. Oct 13, 2009 #4
    If
    [tex]\frac{\partial p_i}{\partial q_h} = 0[/tex]
    then
    [tex]\frac{\partial \phi _i}{\partial q_h} = 0[/tex]
    in the region where [tex]p_i=\phi _i[/tex], and outside this region, well, it's identically zero since [tex]p_i[/tex] is not explicitly a function of the [tex]q_i[/tex]'s. Am I on the right track? I don't see where these train-tracks are leading.

6. Oct 13, 2009 #5
    Aha! Does this mean that, regardless of where we are in the space, if we have the [tex]p_i[/tex] as a function of the [tex]q_i[/tex] or not, the adding of the term [tex]p_i[/tex] has no effect of the partial derivative because:
    If we are in the region where [tex]p_i-\phi _i=0[/tex] the partial derivatives
    [tex]\frac{\partial g_s}{\partial q_h} = 0[/tex]
    anyway, and if we are outside this region then
    [tex]\frac{\partial p_i}{\partial q_h} = 0[/tex]
    Is this right?

7. Oct 14, 2009 #6
    Ok, anyone please? Even if it's just a " yea I don't get that either"...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook