Derivation of Partial Derivatives in a Textbook: Understanding the Factor of 1/2

In summary, the conversation involves a question about a derivation given in a textbook, specifically regarding a factor of 1/2 in the final outcome. After some discussion and differentiation, it is determined that the factor of 1/2 is correct as it cancels out with another factor of 2.
Luminous Blob
I'm trying to follow a derivation in given in a textbook. Part of this derivation goes like this:

[tex]\frac{d}{ds}\left(\frac{1}{c}\frac{dx}{ds}\right)=c\left(\frac{\partial^2\tau}{\partial x^2}\frac{\partial \tau}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial^2\tau}{\partial x \partial y}\frac{\partial \tau}{\partial y}\right)[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{c}{2}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left[\left(\frac{\partial \tau}{\partial x}\right )^2 + \left (\frac {\partial \tau}{\partial y}\right )^2 \right][/tex]

I worked through that and came up with the same answer, but without the factor of 1/2. Can anyone tell me where it comes from?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Differentiate out those last terms...

d/dx(d tau/dx)^2=2d tau/dx * (d^2 tau/dx^2)

Ah, gotcha! Thanks :)

Hang on, after looking at it a bit more I'm not so sure...wouldn't that give you a factor of 2 out the front rather than 1/2?

Luminous Blob said:
Hang on, after looking at it a bit more I'm not so sure...wouldn't that give you a factor of 2 out the front rather than 1/2?

Doesn't performing the differentiation in the bottom line result in the top line, since the 2 cancels the 1/2?

If it does, then isn't everything OK?

Regards,
George

Yep - the '2' in my previous post cancels with the '2' of Blob's last term, giving the middle term...

Haha, I see now...as you may have noticed, I'm not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed :)

Thanks again.

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its independent variables, while holding the other variables constant.

2. How is a partial derivative denoted?

A partial derivative is denoted using the symbol ∂ (pronounced "partial") followed by the variable with respect to which the derivative is taken. For example, ∂f/∂x represents the partial derivative of the function f with respect to the variable x.

3. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a regular derivative?

A partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while keeping the other variables constant. A regular derivative, on the other hand, measures the rate of change of a function with respect to its single independent variable.

4. What are some real-life applications of partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are used in many fields, including physics, economics, and engineering. Some examples of real-life applications include optimizing production processes in manufacturing, predicting stock market trends, and analyzing changes in temperature over time.

5. How do you solve a partial derivative question?

To solve a partial derivative question, you first need to determine which variable the derivative is being taken with respect to. Then, treat all other variables as constants and use the rules of differentiation to find the derivative. Make sure to use the correct notation and simplify the expression as much as possible.