1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivatives question

1. May 22, 2006 #1
    I'm trying to follow a derivation in given in a text book. Part of this derivation goes like this:

[tex]\frac{d}{ds}\left(\frac{1}{c}\frac{dx}{ds}\right)=c\left(\frac{\partial^2\tau}{\partial x^2}\frac{\partial \tau}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial^2\tau}{\partial x \partial y}\frac{\partial \tau}{\partial y}\right)[/tex]
    [tex]=\frac{c}{2}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left[\left(\frac{\partial \tau}{\partial x}\right )^2 + \left (\frac {\partial \tau}{\partial y}\right )^2 \right][/tex]

I worked through that and came up with the same answer, but without the factor of 1/2. Can anyone tell me where it comes from?

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2006 #2

J77

Differentiate out those last terms...

d/dx(d tau/dx)^2=2d tau/dx * (d^2 tau/dx^2)

4. May 22, 2006 #3
    Ah, gotcha! Thanks :)

5. May 22, 2006 #4
    Hang on, after looking at it a bit more I'm not so sure...wouldn't that give you a factor of 2 out the front rather than 1/2?

6. May 23, 2006 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Doesn't performing the differentiation in the bottom line result in the top line, since the 2 cancels the 1/2?

If it does, then isn't everything OK?

Regards,
    George

7. May 24, 2006 #6

J77

Yep - the '2' in my previous post cancels with the '2' of Blob's last term, giving the middle term...

8. May 24, 2006 #7
    Haha, I see now...as you may have noticed, I'm not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed :)

Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?