Partial Diff qn

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Does the following differential equation for u(x,y) have solutions which have the form of a product of functions of each independent variable:

[tex]\partial[/tex]2u/[tex]\partial[/tex]x[tex]\partial[/tex]y=u

3. The attempt at a solution[/]

=>[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]u dx dy =uxy=f(x)f(y) ???

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. im not sure if that even makes sense, but if u(x,y)=f(x)f(y) and d*f(x)/dx=u/constant and d*f(y)/dy=constant... i think, i don't know im confused..

4. Dick

Dick 25,887
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Set u(x,y)=f(x)*g(y). What is your partial derivative in terms of f(x), f'(x), g(y), and g'(y)?

5. so [tex]\partial[/tex]2u/[tex]\partial[/tex]x[tex]\partial[/tex]y=f(x)g(y)??
    so in terms of f'(x) and g'(y) im not sure..

6. Cyosis

Cyosis 1,495
    Homework Helper

You have an equation that equates the derivative of u to u itself. You can already guess what u will be, but lets not guess.

Setting u(x,y)=f(x)g(y), then the equation becomes [tex]\frac{\partial^2 f(x)g(y)}{\partial x \partial y}=f(x)g(y)[/tex]. Now what Dick asks you to do is to calculate [tex]\frac{\partial^2 f(x)g(y)}{\partial x \partial y}[/tex].

Hint:

[tex]
    \frac{d}{dx}f(x)= ?
    [/tex]

In terms of f'(x)

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  7. Dick

Dick 25,887
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I actually meant u(x,y)=f(x)g(y). There's no reason why the function of x would have to be the same as the function of y. And yes, evaluate the derivative.

8. Cyosis

Cyosis 1,495
    Homework Helper

Sorry, that was sloppy of me I actually meant f(x)g(x). I will fix it.

9. hmm d/dx of f(x).. isn't that just f'(x)??.... is it something like the integral of f'(x)g'(y)??

10. so... [tex]
    \frac{\partial^2 f(x)g(y)}{\partial x \partial y}
    [/tex] =[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]f'(x)g'(y) dx dy??

11. Cyosis

Cyosis 1,495
    Homework Helper

What you've written down now is the equivalent to [itex]\frac{d}{dx}f(x)=\int f'(x) dx[/itex]. Which is wrong. Lets test it, f(x)=x then [itex]\frac{d}{dx}x=1 \neq \int 1 dx=x+c[/itex].

This is right, so if you evaluate [tex]\frac{\partial^2 f(x)g(y)}{\partial x \partial y}[/tex] you get....?

12. u get f'(x)g'(y)?? Im confused becasue when u take partial of f(x), u get d/dy(d/dx*f(x))=0??

13. Cyosis

Cyosis 1,495
    Homework Helper

Yes that's correct, but you're not taking the partial of f(x), you're talking the partial derivative of f(x)g(y).

[tex]
    \frac{\partial^2 f(x)g(y)} {\partial x \partial y}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x} f(x) \frac{\partial}{\partial y}g(y)=f'(x)g'(y)
    [/tex]

14. ok so since f(x)g(y)=f'(x)g(y)=u(x,y)=??

15. Cyosis

Cyosis 1,495
    Homework Helper

You forgot a prime it should be [itex]f'(x)g'(y)=f(x)g(y)=u(x,y)[/itex]. You can instantly see which function satisfies the equation, but you can also separate the variables.

16. e^x+y?? so f(x)=e^x and g(y)=e^y same as the derivativeS?

17. Cyosis

Cyosis 1,495
    Homework Helper

That would be a solution indeed, you're on the right track. it is not the general solution however. The general solution will involve integration constants and a constant in the argument of the exponential. Can you see how to integrate the differential equation?

18. e^xy?? so f(x)=e^x and g(y)=e^y same as the derrivativeS?

srry this was an accident

19. Cyosis

Cyosis 1,495
    Homework Helper

Don't randomly guess, [itex]f'(x)g'(y)=y e^{xy}xe^{xy} \neq e^{xy}[/itex]. Separate the variables first, that is all the x dependent stuff on one side and all the y dependent stuff on the other side.

20. na im confused now... like f(x)=e^c1 g(y)=e^c2 and u(x,y)=e^c1+c2??

21. Cyosis

Cyosis 1,495
    Homework Helper

If c are constants then f'(x)=g'(y)=0, which doesn't fit either. Can you please separate the variables first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?