Partial differentiation question. Would all three methods work?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Jacobians in solving equations and finding partial derivatives. The method of using Jacobians is compared to other methods and the question of when they are better or worse to use is raised. The solution and methods are not shown in detail, and the conversation ends with an offer for further review and clarification.
s3a
I'm attaching the question and solution.

I'm talking about the first part since the second part is the same just with different variables and stuff. I get what the solution is saying but:

1) What if I computed a Jacobian, with
F = x^2 + xy + y^2 - z = 0
G = 2r + s - x = 0
H = r - 2s - y = 0
would it work? Whether it works or not, why does it work or not?

2) Why am I getting it wrong when I substitute x and y with the r and s equivalents and then attempt taking ∂z/∂r? Am I just making a mistake whenever I compute it or is this attempt just bound to fail for some theoretical reason?

I'm not necessarily concerned about the detailed algebra for (1) and (2) but rather just if the methods should work in theory and why or why they would or wouldn't work and if I was doing something wrong (sorry, the file which had my work was corrupted but I'm not concerned about the detailed algebra anyway apart from the part where you set things up prior to the tedious algebra/computation). Part of the reason why I am asking this is because, instinctively, I would have done method (2) and, for method (1), I'm just trying to see when Jacobians are better or worse to use. So, if Jacobians work for this problem, I'd be great if I can also be told how to recognize when Jacobians are the better or worse to use. Sorry, if I repeated myself a bit but I wanted to make my concerns very clear.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• P16.jpg
    P16.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org
s3a said:
I'm attaching the question and solution.

I'm talking about the first part since the second part is the same just with different variables and stuff. I get what the solution is saying but:

1) What if I computed a Jacobian, with
F = x^2 + xy + y^2 - z = 0
G = 2r + s - x = 0
H = r - 2s - y = 0
would it work? Whether it works or not, why does it work or not?

2) Why am I getting it wrong when I substitute x and y with the r and s equivalents and then attempt taking ∂z/∂r? Am I just making a mistake whenever I compute it or is this attempt just bound to fail for some theoretical reason?

I'm not necessarily concerned about the detailed algebra for (1) and (2) but rather just if the methods should work in theory and why or why they would or wouldn't work and if I was doing something wrong (sorry, the file which had my work was corrupted but I'm not concerned about the detailed algebra anyway apart from the part where you set things up prior to the tedious algebra/computation). Part of the reason why I am asking this is because, instinctively, I would have done method (2) and, for method (1), I'm just trying to see when Jacobians are better or worse to use. So, if Jacobians work for this problem, I'd be great if I can also be told how to recognize when Jacobians are the better or worse to use. Sorry, if I repeated myself a bit but I wanted to make my concerns very clear.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
attachment.php?attachmentid=43810&d=1329059321.jpg

For your Question #1:
How do you propose using that Jacobian to find ∂z/∂r and ∂z/∂s ?​

For your Question #2:
Yes, that should work. Without you showing your work, it's hard for us to tell what the problem is.​

For (2), I think the problem was that I was tired and sick ;). As for (1), is what I'm uploading now correct?

Attachments

• MyWork.jpg
    MyWork.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 425
s3a said:
For (2), I think the problem was that I was tired and sick ;). As for (1), is what I'm uploading now correct?
I'll look over #1 when I get a chance. Hopefully that won't be a whole lot later or perhaps someone else will come along & look it over.

attachment.php?attachmentid=43824&d=1329085725.jpg

For #2, you can even show more generally that both methods give the same result.
You have that [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial z}{\partial r}=14r-3s\,.[/itex]

The attachment you had in your Original Post, has:

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial z}{\partial r}=5x+4y[/itex]

Substituting for x & y gives:

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial z}{\partial r}=5(2s+r)+4(r-2s)[/itex]
[itex]\displaystyle =14r-3s\,.[/itex]

1. What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is often used in multivariable calculus to solve optimization problems and to better understand the behavior of a function.

2. Why do we use partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation allows us to analyze how a function changes as one variable changes, while keeping other variables constant. This is useful in real-world applications where multiple variables may affect a system, and we want to understand how changing one variable impacts the outcome.

3. What are the three methods used in partial differentiation?

The three methods used in partial differentiation are the explicit method, the implicit method, and the logarithmic method. The explicit method involves taking the derivative of each term in a function separately. The implicit method involves using the chain rule to differentiate a function with respect to one variable while treating the other variables as constants. The logarithmic method involves taking the natural logarithm of both sides of a function and then differentiating.

4. Can all three methods be used to solve any partial differentiation problem?

Yes, all three methods can be used to solve any partial differentiation problem. However, some problems may be easier to solve using one method over the others. It is important to be familiar with all three methods and know when to apply each one.

5. How can I check my partial differentiation solution?

To check your partial differentiation solution, you can plug in the values of the variables into the original function and into the derivative you calculated using partial differentiation. If both equations give the same result, then your solution is correct. Additionally, you can use graphing software to plot the original function and its derivative to visually confirm the solution.