Transforming Partial Differential Equations into Constant Coefficient Form

They have attempted several transformations and are open to any suggestions or comments about the problem. In summary, Chetan is seeking a change of variable or series of changes that can transform the equations into ones with constant coefficients, and is open to any feedback or input on the matter.
Nuel1647

Homework Statement

The problem statement can be expressed in one of these forms listed in order of preference.
upload_2015-1-7_3-59-23.jpeg
upload_2015-1-7_3-59-23.jpeg
[/B]

Every character with exception of x, y, t, and C are constants.

Homework Equations

I require a change of variable or series of subsequent change of variables that can convert anyone of these equations into an equation having constant coefficients.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried x1=(U0*beta + x*Ud)
I have also tried d/dx=((U0*beta/x)+Ud) d/dx1 and d/dy=y d/dy1

where x1 and y1 are the new variables for x and y respectively.
I know how to do the rest, like changing the boundary conditions and finding an a solution, I just need an appropriate equation for my variable transformation.
Any comment at all (including things like this equation is not solvable and why that is so) regarding the problem will be welcomed.

Is phi a function of x and y?

Chet

1. What is a partial differential equation?

A partial differential equation (PDE) is a mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between these variables and how they change in a given system or process.

2. What are the applications of partial differential equations?

PDEs have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, finance, and biology. They are used to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena, including heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and population dynamics.

3. How do you solve a partial differential equation?

The process of solving a PDE involves finding a function that satisfies the equation and any given boundary conditions. This can be done analytically, using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or Fourier transforms, or numerically, using computational methods like finite difference or finite element methods.

4. What is the difference between a partial differential equation and an ordinary differential equation?

The main difference between a PDE and an ordinary differential equation (ODE) is the number of independent variables. A PDE involves multiple independent variables, whereas an ODE only has one. This makes PDEs more complex and requires different techniques for solving them.

5. Can you give an example of a real-world application of a partial differential equation?

One example of a real-world application of a PDE is the Navier-Stokes equation, which is used to model the flow of fluids such as air or water. This equation has many practical applications, including predicting weather patterns, designing airplanes, and optimizing industrial processes.