1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial fraction decomposition

1. Nov 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Go here: http://www.unl.edu/amc/a-activities/a7-problems/putnam/-pdf/1999s.pdf

You do not need to read the problem. In solution two for 1999 A3, I can do the partial fraction decomposition but I get something different from that... I am wondering whether that comes from the partial fraction decomposition or something else...

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

We don't need to read the problem and you won't tell us what you did- but you want someone to tell you if what you did was right? How, exactly?
  4. Nov 6, 2007 #3
    It would take me like 6 lines of latex to show what I did, so I am asking whether it was the right choice of technique not whether I performed it right. I want to know how they arrived at the equality after "Note that".
  5. Nov 6, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

1- 2x- x2= -(x2+ 2x+ 1-1)+1= 2- (x-1)2 so 1- 2x- x2= 0 has roots [itex]x= 1\pm \sqrt{2}[/itex] and so can 1-2x-x2 can be factored as [itex](x-1-\sqrt{2})(x-1+\sqrt{2})[/itex]. Using "partial fractions" then
    [tex]\frac{1}{1-2x-x^2}= \frac{A}{x-1-\sqrt{2}}+ \frac{B}{x-1+\sqrt{2}}[/tex]
    gives A= [itex]-1/2\sqrt{2}[/itex] and B= [itex]1/2\sqrt{2}[/itex]. The final form is got by dividing both numerator and denominator of the first fraction by [itex]1+\sqrt{2}[/itex] and the numerator and denominator of the second fraction by [itex]1-\sqrt{2}[/itex].
  6. Nov 6, 2007 #5
    I tried that and then x is divided by what you want it to be multiplied by!
  7. Nov 7, 2007 #6
    Can you explain how that gives the final form? I cannot figure out how to manipulate that any more.

EDIT: never mind I see
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  8. Nov 7, 2007 #7
    You're factorization is wrong. The roots of it should be x = -1 +/- sqrt(2).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?