Partial fraction decomposition

In summary, a person is seeking help with a problem from a specific PDF. They have performed a partial fraction decomposition but are unsure if they did it correctly. They ask for clarification on how the final form is obtained and make a note about a possible error in their factorization.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

Go here: http://www.unl.edu/amc/a-activities/a7-problems/putnam/-pdf/1999s.pdf

You do not need to read the problem. In solution two for 1999 A3, I can do the partial fraction decomposition but I get something different from that... I am wondering whether that comes from the partial fraction decomposition or something else...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
We don't need to read the problem and you won't tell us what you did- but you want someone to tell you if what you did was right? How, exactly?

It would take me like 6 lines of latex to show what I did, so I am asking whether it was the right choice of technique not whether I performed it right. I want to know how they arrived at the equality after "Note that".

1- 2x- x2= -(x2+ 2x+ 1-1)+1= 2- (x-1)2 so 1- 2x- x2= 0 has roots [itex]x= 1\pm \sqrt{2}[/itex] and so can 1-2x-x2 can be factored as [itex](x-1-\sqrt{2})(x-1+\sqrt{2})[/itex]. Using "partial fractions" then
[tex]\frac{1}{1-2x-x^2}= \frac{A}{x-1-\sqrt{2}}+ \frac{B}{x-1+\sqrt{2}}[/tex]
gives A= [itex]-1/2\sqrt{2}[/itex] and B= [itex]1/2\sqrt{2}[/itex]. The final form is got by dividing both numerator and denominator of the first fraction by [itex]1+\sqrt{2}[/itex] and the numerator and denominator of the second fraction by [itex]1-\sqrt{2}[/itex].

I tried that and then x is divided by what you want it to be multiplied by!

HallsofIvy said:
The final form is got by dividing both numerator and denominator of the first fraction by [itex]1+\sqrt{2}[/itex] and the numerator and denominator of the second fraction by [itex]1-\sqrt{2}[/itex].

Can you explain how that gives the final form? I cannot figure out how to manipulate that any more.

EDIT: never mind I see

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
1- 2x- x2= -(x2+ 2x+ 1-1)+1= 2- (x-1)2 so 1- 2x- x2= 0 has roots [itex]x= 1\pm \sqrt{2}[/itex] and so can 1-2x-x2 can be factored as [itex](x-1-\sqrt{2})(x-1+\sqrt{2})[/itex]. Using "partial fractions" then
[tex]\frac{1}{1-2x-x^2}= \frac{A}{x-1-\sqrt{2}}+ \frac{B}{x-1+\sqrt{2}}[/tex]
gives A= [itex]-1/2\sqrt{2}[/itex] and B= [itex]1/2\sqrt{2}[/itex]. The final form is got by dividing both numerator and denominator of the first fraction by [itex]1+\sqrt{2}[/itex] and the numerator and denominator of the second fraction by [itex]1-\sqrt{2}[/itex].

You're factorization is wrong. The roots of it should be x = -1 +/- sqrt(2).

What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a method used in mathematics to break down a complex fraction into simpler fractions. It involves writing the fraction as a sum of smaller fractions with simpler denominators.

Why is partial fraction decomposition used?

Partial fraction decomposition is used to simplify complex algebraic expressions, solve equations, and integrate functions. It is especially useful in calculus and engineering applications.

What are the steps involved in partial fraction decomposition?

The steps involved in partial fraction decomposition include: 1) factoring the denominator of the fraction, 2) setting up equations with unknown coefficients, 3) solving for the coefficients using algebraic techniques, and 4) writing the original fraction as a sum of the simpler fractions with the solved coefficients.

What are the different types of partial fraction decomposition?

There are two types of partial fraction decomposition: proper and improper. A proper fraction has a degree of the numerator that is less than the degree of the denominator, while an improper fraction has a degree of the numerator that is equal to or greater than the degree of the denominator.

What are some real-world applications of partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition has a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve differential equations, simplify circuits, and analyze transfer functions in control systems, among others.