1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Fraction Decomposition

1. May 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am just trying to do partial fraction decomposition on an equation. I'm not too good with it, as far as knowing if I need just A or Ax+B, etc.

[e^(-2s) / (s^2+1)(s-1)(s+1)^2]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not quite sure how to work with the e^-2s, but as far as doing the partial fractions, is this right: ?

Ax+B/(s^2+1) + C/(s-1) + D/(s+1) + E/(s+1)

I really just need help with that first step, making sure I set it up right, and also on how to deal with the e^(-2s). Do I take it out and treat it as 1? Do I set what I get from the partial fraction decomposition equal to e^(-2s) or something else??

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The last one should be E/(s+1)^2.

No, you do not treat e^(-2s) as 1- it isn't!
    You write
    [tex]\frac{e^{-2s}}{(s^2+1)(s-1)(s+1)^2}= \frac{As+B}{s^2+1}+ \frac{C}{s-1}+ \frac{D}{s+1}+ E/(s+1)^2[/itex]
    for all x and solve for A, B, C, D, E.

Probably the simplest way is to multiply both sides by [itex](s^2+ 1)(s- 1)(s+1)^2[/itex] to get rid of the fractions, then take s equal to whatever 5 numbers you wish so you get 5 equations to solve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?