How to Solve Partial Fractions Expansion?

In summary, the partial fractions expansion for the given expression is found by first expanding as \frac{1}{(s+1)(s^2+4)} = \frac{A}{s+1} + \frac{Bs+C}{s^2+4}, and then expanding \frac{1}{s^2+4} as \frac{E}{s+2i} + \frac{F}{s-2i}.
jegues

Homework Statement

Find the partial fractions expansion in the following form,

[tex]G(s) = \frac{1}{(s+1)(s^{2}+4)} = \frac{A}{s+1} + \frac{B}{s+j2} + \frac{B^{*}}{s-j2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I expanded things out and found the following,

[tex]1 = A(s^{2} + 4) + B(s^{2} + (1-j2)s -j2) + B^{*}(s^{2} + (1+j2)s + j2)[/tex]

From this I get the following equations,

[tex]A + B + B^{*} = 0[/tex]

[tex]B(1-j2) + B^{*}(1+j2) = 0[/tex]

[tex]4A - Bj2 + B^{*}j2 = 1[/tex]

This doesn't seem like a pleasant set of equations to solve.

I did another partial fractions expansion like so,

[tex]G(s) = \frac{1}{(s+1)(s^{2}+4)} = \frac{D}{s+1} + \frac{Es + F}{s^{2}+4}[/tex]

and found,

[tex]D = \frac{1}{5}, E = - \frac{1}{5}, F = \frac{1}{5}[/tex]

but this doesn't give me the form I need.

Any ideas? Any convenient ways to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: if ##B^*## is the complex conjugate of ##B##, then ##B+B^* = 2\text{Re}(B)## and ##B - B^* = 2i\text{Im}(B)##. You can use these facts to simplify the unpleasant equations you obtained.

solve by inspection

$$\frac{1}{(s+1)(s^{2}+4)} =\frac{1}{(s+1)((-1)^{2}+4)}+\frac{1}{(2j+1)(2j+2j)(s-2j)}$$
$$+\frac{1}{(-2j+1)(s+2j)(-2j-2j)}= \frac{A}{s+1} + \frac{B}{s+2j} + \frac{B^{*}}{s-2j}$$

in general

$$\prod_k \frac{1}{x-a_k}=\sum_l \frac{1}{x-a_l}\prod_{k \ne l} \frac{1}{a_l-a_k}$$

Last edited by a moderator:
jbunniii said:
Hint: if ##B^*## is the complex conjugate of ##B##, then ##B+B^* = 2\text{Re}(B)## and ##B - B^* = 2i\text{Im}(B)##. You can use these facts to simplify the unpleasant equations you obtained.
or in Engineering terms where usually ##\ j=\sqrt{-1}\ ##, you have

##\ B - B^* = 2j\text{ Im}(B) \ ##

Sorry, I just couldn't bring myself to type ##j##. :tongue:

jbunniii said:
Sorry, I just couldn't bring myself to type ##j##. :tongue:
I know what you mean. Also, when I saw j2 in the first post, I first thought he meant j2. I like 2j better than j2, and 2i better than 2j.

jegues said:

Homework Statement

[tex]G(s) = \frac{1}{(s+1)(s^{2}+4)} = \frac{A}{s+1} + \frac{B}{s+j2} + \frac{B^{*}}{s-j2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]1 = A(s^{2} + 4) + B(s^{2} + (1-j2)s -j2) + B^{*}(s^{2} + (1+j2)s + j2)[/tex]

[tex]G(s) = \frac{1}{(s+1)(s^{2}+4)} = \frac{D}{s+1} + \frac{Es + F}{s^{2}+4}[/tex]

and found,

It is probably easier to first expand as
[tex] \frac{1}{(s+1)(s^2+4)} = \frac{A}{s+1} + \frac{Bs+C}{s^2+4}[/tex]
then expand
[tex] \frac{1}{s^2+4} = \frac{E}{s+2i} + \frac{F}{s-2i}[/tex]
BTW: in TeX (or LaTeX) you do not need to write 's^{2}'; just plain 's^2' will do. You only need the '{.}' if the super-script (or sub-script) is more than one term. (Even a multi-letter single command can do without the '{.}'; for example, look at ##s^\alpha##, which was entered as s^\alpha.)

jegues said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

and found,

It is probably easier to first expand as
[tex] \frac{1}{(s+1)(s^2+4)} = \frac{A}{s+1} + \frac{Bs+C}{s^2+4}[/tex]
then expand
[tex] \frac{1}{s^2+4} = \frac{E}{s+2i} + \frac{F}{s-2i}[/tex]
BTW: in TeX (or LaTeX) you do not need to write 's^{2}'; just plain 's^2' will do. You only need the '{.}' if the super-script (or sub-script) is more than one term. (Even a multi-letter single command can do without the '{.}'; for example, look at ##s^\alpha##, which was entered as s^\alpha.

1. What is partial fraction expansion?

Partial fraction expansion is a process used to simplify a rational function into smaller fractions. It involves breaking down the rational function into smaller, simpler fractions that can be added together to equal the original function.

2. When is partial fraction expansion used?

Partial fraction expansion is commonly used in integration, as it allows for integration of complex rational functions by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. It can also be used in algebraic equations and in solving differential equations.

3. How do you perform partial fraction expansion?

To perform partial fraction expansion, the rational function must first be written in the form of a numerator divided by a denominator. Then, using algebraic techniques, the denominator is factored into smaller, simpler terms. The coefficients for each term are then determined using simultaneous equations, and the final result is written as a sum of the smaller fractions.

4. What is the purpose of partial fraction expansion?

The purpose of partial fraction expansion is to simplify complex rational functions into smaller, more manageable fractions. This allows for easier integration, solving of algebraic equations, and solving differential equations. It also allows for a better understanding of the behavior of rational functions.

5. Are there any limitations to partial fraction expansion?

Yes, there are limitations to partial fraction expansion. It can only be used for rational functions, meaning the numerator and denominator must be polynomials. It also cannot be used if the denominator has repeated factors or complex roots. In these cases, other methods must be used.