How can I find the values for B and C in a partial fractions equation?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the values of B and C in a partial fraction equation, where the value of A can only be obtained by substituting a value for x. The speaker recalls a method involving the power of x on each side to find the values of B and C. They provide a link for more information and express gratitude for the help.
rusty009
Hey guys, I have a quick question concerning partial fractions, say i have the values A(..)+B(..)+C(..) and i can only get A b substituting a value for x, but I can not make A or C go zero or A and B go to zero at the same time, if you understand ? How do I get the values B and C ? I remember there was a way using the power of x on each side ? Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
thats exactly what i want, thank you !

1. What is the partial fractions method?

The partial fractions method is a mathematical technique used to simplify and evaluate complex algebraic fractions. It involves breaking down a rational function into simpler fractions, making it easier to integrate, differentiate, or solve for unknown variables.

2. When is the partial fractions method used?

The partial fractions method is commonly used in calculus, differential equations, and other branches of mathematics to solve equations involving rational functions. It is especially useful when dealing with improper or complex fractions.

3. How is the partial fractions method applied?

To apply the partial fractions method, the rational function is first expressed in the form of a sum of simpler fractions. This is done by finding the common denominator and then equating the coefficients of the terms with the same denominator. The resulting equations can then be solved to determine the values of the unknown coefficients.

4. What are the benefits of using the partial fractions method?

The partial fractions method allows for the simplification of complex algebraic expressions, making it easier to solve for unknown variables or integrate in calculus. It also helps to break down difficult problems into smaller, more manageable parts, making it a useful tool for problem-solving.

5. Are there any limitations to the partial fractions method?

The partial fractions method is not applicable to all types of rational functions. It can only be used for proper rational functions, meaning the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator. In some cases, the method may also result in complex fractions, which may be more difficult to work with. Additionally, the process of equating coefficients can be time-consuming and tedious for more complex functions.