Partial Pressures: Solving Complex Equations

• Thread starter Qube
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Partial
In summary, the lecturer is trying to explain that the number of moles of nitrogen atoms in a mixture doesn't change throughout the reaction, but the reason it is the other way around is because mass is conserved.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://i.minus.com/jbzyIAyMvUrADW.png

Homework Equations

Conservation of mass in a closed system.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what the lecture is getting at here. Why is it that the number of moles of NO2 added to twice the number of moles of N2O4 = the total moles? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Attachments

• jbzyIAyMvUrADW.png
    jbzyIAyMvUrADW.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 457
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Number of moles of what is calculated?

I think 0.330 moles refer to the total moles of gas in the flask. I'm not sure why the equivalency on the bottom of the slide holds.

Qube said:
I think 0.330 moles refer to the total moles of gas in the flask.

Have you READ the text you posted? It clearly explains what is calculated.

I don't understand what I posted

Do you understand

0.330 mol of NO2 and therefore the same number of moles of nitrogen atom atoms

?

I understand that but nothing else.

Does the number of moles of N atoms change throughout the reaction?

No, there are two moles on either side

OK (although the reason is slightly different - mass is conserved, nitrogen is not produced out of nothing, actually the fact that there are two moles on both sides on of the reaction equation is a conclusion of the mass conservation, not a proof of the mass conservation as you seem to be implying. Also, it doesn't have to be two moles - what if you start with half o mole of nitrogen atoms?).

There is an identical amount of nitrogen atoms before and after the reaction.

How many moles of nitrogen atoms per mole of NO2?

How many moles of nitrogen atoms per mole of N2O4?

There are n moles of nitrogen atoms per mole of NO2 and 2n moles of nitrogen atoms per mole of N2O4.

No, not "n moles" per mole. n has a well known value.

What is a mole definition?

There is one mole of N in one mole of nitrogen dioxide. And two moles of N in one mole of dinitrogen tetraoxide

OK, you have a mixture of nNO2 (containing 1 mole of nitrogen atoms per one mole of gas) and nN2O4 (containing 2 moles of nitrogen atoms per one mole of gas). How many moles of nitrogen atoms are in the mixture?

There are n plus 2n moles of nitrogen.

More specifically, the first n refers to nitrogen dioxide and the second n refers to dinitrogen tetraoxide.

OK, so now you know that the mixture contains nNO2+2nN2O4 moles of nitrogen atoms, you know that initially there were 0.330 moles of nitrogen atoms, and you know that amount of nitrogen atoms didn't change. Get back to the original text.

Related to Partial Pressures: Solving Complex Equations

What is a partial pressure?

A partial pressure is the pressure exerted by a single gas in a mixture of gases. It is the hypothetical pressure that the gas would have if it alone occupied the entire volume of the mixture at the same temperature.

Why is it important to calculate partial pressures?

Calculating partial pressures allows us to understand the behavior of gases in mixtures and predict their movement and reactions. It is also important in industries such as gas processing and chemical engineering.

How do you calculate partial pressures?

Partial pressures can be calculated using Dalton's Law of Partial Pressures, which states that the total pressure of a gas mixture is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of each gas in the mixture.

What factors affect partial pressures?

The partial pressure of a gas is affected by its concentration, temperature, and the total pressure of the mixture. Changes in any of these factors can alter the partial pressure of a gas in a mixture.

What are some real-world applications of partial pressures?

Partial pressures are used in many industries such as gas processing, chemical engineering, and atmospheric studies. They are also important in scuba diving, where the partial pressure of oxygen is controlled to prevent oxygen toxicity.