Particle Accelerator Project: Building a Linear Accelerator or Cyclotron

In summary, building an accelerator is complex and dangerous, and would require a lot of technical knowledge. There is a risk of making a mistake, and even more of spending too much money on something that is not suitable. I would recommend finding another project.
rsilva.pt
Hi!

I'm interested in building a particle accelerator... maybe a linear accelerator or a cyclotron.

What do you suggest as a starting project? The linear accelerator or the cyclotron?

About the linear accelerator, is it suitable only for electrons? Is it possible to build a small (and affordable) linear accelerator capable of accelerating heavier charged particles?

And about the cyclotron... is it too expensive and complex as a first accelerator project? What would be the cost of a small cyclotron?

I'd like to contact other accelerator enthusiasts who could help me.

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Building an accelerator is dangerous. It's clear from your message that you don't know enough to build one successfully or safely. I'd recommend another project.

Hello, I agree with Vanadium 50.
However, old CRT televisions do accelerate electrons so they are infact linear electron accelerators. For the record: a linear accelerator would be far far easier to make.

Vanadium 50 said:
Building an accelerator is dangerous. It's clear from your message that you don't know enough to build one successfully or safely. I'd recommend another project.

I'm aware that it is complex and dangerous... I've worked with a Van de Graaff accelerator before to perform some RBS studies when attending to a Nuclear Safety course.

I have no technical knowledge to build an affordable accelerator. That is why I'm asking for help.

rsilva.pt said:
Hi!

I'm interested in building a particle accelerator... maybe a linear accelerator or a cyclotron.

What do you suggest as a starting project? The linear accelerator or the cyclotron?

About the linear accelerator, is it suitable only for electrons? Is it possible to build a small (and affordable) linear accelerator capable of accelerating heavier charged particles?

And about the cyclotron... is it too expensive and complex as a first accelerator project? What would be the cost of a small cyclotron?

I'd like to contact other accelerator enthusiasts who could help me.

Thank you :)

rsilva.pt said:
I'm aware that it is complex and dangerous... I've worked with a Van de Graaff accelerator before to perform some RBS studies when attending to a Nuclear Safety course.

I have no technical knowledge to build an affordable accelerator. That is why I'm asking for help.

As explained, we do not give advice on dangerous projects here at the PF. Thread is closed.

1. What is a particle accelerator?

A particle accelerator is a scientific instrument that is used to accelerate particles to high speeds and energies. This is achieved by using electromagnetic fields to push and guide the particles through a series of tubes or rings at increasing speeds.

2. What is the purpose of a particle accelerator?

Particle accelerators are used for a variety of scientific research purposes, such as studying the properties of particles, creating new particles, and understanding the fundamental laws of physics. They are also used in medical and industrial applications, such as cancer treatment and material analysis.

3. How does a particle accelerator work?

A particle accelerator works by using a series of electromagnetic fields to accelerate particles and guide them along a specified path. The particles are then directed into collisions with other particles or targets, producing data that can be analyzed by scientists.

4. What are the benefits of using a particle accelerator?

The use of particle accelerators has led to many significant scientific discoveries and advancements in fields such as physics, medicine, and materials science. They also provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces and building blocks of the universe.

5. Are there any risks associated with particle accelerators?

While particle accelerators are generally safe to operate, there are some risks involved, such as radiation exposure and potential equipment malfunctions. However, these risks are carefully managed and mitigated by scientists and technicians to ensure the safety of both users and the general public.