Particle in a circular path due to magnetic field

In summary: Yes, you get the speed from the kinetic energy, and you can measure energy in eV units, but it should be converted to joules, by multiplying the electron-volts by e. Here e is the elementary charge, not the charge of the particle in question.Yes, you get the speed from the kinetic energy, and you can measure energy in eV units, but it should be converted to joules, by multiplying the electron-volts by e. Here e is the elementary charge, not the charge of the particle in question.
fight_club_alum
Homework Statement
What will be the radius of curvature of the path of a 3.0-keV proton in a perpendicular
magnetic field of magnitude 0.80 T?
a . 9.9 mm <-- answer
b. 1.1 cm
c. 1.3 cm
d. 1.4 cm
e. 7.6 mm
Relevant Equations
v = sqrt( (2 * q * potential) / mass)
mv/bq = r
v = sqrt( (2 * charge of proton * 3000/e) / (mass of proton))
v = 1.893986024 x 10^`15
r = ( (mass of proton) * (velocity) ) / ((magnetic field) * (charge of proton))
r = 24715769.68 m

Anyone please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your units!

Likes fight_club_alum
fight_club_alum said:
Relevant Equations: v = sqrt( (2 * q * potential) / mass)
mv/bq = r

v = sqrt( (2 * charge of proton * 3000/e) / (mass of proton))
v = 1.893986024 x 10^`15
r = ( (mass of proton) * (velocity) ) / ((magnetic field) * (charge of proton))
r = 24715769.68 m

Anyone please help
What is 'e' in the formula for the speed? What is the unit of speed you got?

Likes fight_club_alum
ehild said:
What is 'e' in the formula for the speed? What is the unit of speed you got?
e is the charge of the electron on the constant list in the calculator, which is the same as the proton without the sign

fight_club_alum said:
e is the charge of the electron on the constant list in the calculator, which is the same as the proton without the sign
Why did you divide by it?

Likes fight_club_alum
ehild said:
Why did you divide by it?
to convert from ev to v. Am I correct?

The answer comes out if I convert the ev to joule and work normally using the kinetic energy equation 1/2 m v^2 = E
But what is the mistake when I use the other equation?

fight_club_alum said:
to convert from ev to v. Am I correct?
No. The conversion happened when you multiplied the potential difference with q.
1 eV = Potential difference multiplied by the elementary charge e (which is equal to q in your case)

Likes fight_club_alum
I'm sorry but I don't understand
is v = sqrt( (2q(potential)/ mass)
If yes
isn't ev/electron charge = volt
Thank you

fight_club_alum said:
The answer comes out if I convert the ev to joule and work normally using the kinetic energy equation 1/2 m v^2 = E
But what is the mistake when I use the other equation?
That equation is wrong as you multiplied and divided the eV-s by the elementary charge.

Likes fight_club_alum
So, the equation should be v = sqrt( (2 * q * ev ) / mass)

fight_club_alum said:
I'm sorry but I don't understand
is v = sqrt( (2q(potential)/ mass)
If yes
isn't ev/electron charge = volt
Thank you
The equation 'v = sqrt( (2q(potential)/ mass)' is wrong. Instead of 'potential' it must be energy, but you have the energy in eV-s here, which converts to joules, if you multiply the potential value (3000) with the electronic charge.
If an electron or proton travels across a potential difference of U Volts, it gains e U kinetic energy. But we say that it gained U eV energy. So we measure energy by the potential difference which would accelerate the electron/proton to that energy.

Likes fight_club_alum
ehild said:
The equation 'v = sqrt( (2q(potential)/ mass)' is wrong. Instead of 'potential' it must be energy, but you have the energy in eV-s here, which converts to joules, if you multiply the potential value (3000) with the electronic charge.
If an electron or proton travels across a potential difference of U Volts, it gains e U kinetic energy. But we say that it gained U eV energy.
thank you
so the right one should be
v = sqrt ( (2 * e * (3000e) / (Mass of proton) ) <--- e is just the charge of the proton

ehild said:
The equation 'v = sqrt( (2q(potential)/ mass)' is wrong.
It is not wrong, but eV is not a unit of electric potential, it is an energy unit, ie, the value given is the charge multiplied by the accelerating potential. In fact, there is no reason to even talk about an accelerating potential here as it does not matter how the proton was accelerated. The only thing that matters is that it has a given kinetic energy.

Likes fight_club_alum
fight_club_alum said:
thank you
so the right one should be
v = sqrt ( (2 * e * (3000e) / (Mass of proton) ) <--- e is just the charge of the proton
No. ##energy=0.5 mv^2 = 3000e##
So ## v=\sqrt{2*3000e/m}##

Likes fight_club_alum
When I do this
v = sqrt ( 2 * e * 3000/ mass of the proton) <---- where e is the charge of the proton and 3000 is the ev I get the right answer
So normally I should use (ev) not v

great! thank you so much
Sorry if I confused the whole forum

fight_club_alum said:
When I do this
v = sqrt ( 2 * e * 3000/ mass of the proton) <---- where e is the charge of the proton and 3000 is the ev I get the right answer
So normally I should use (ev) not v
Yes, you get the speed from the kinetic energy, and you can measure energy in eV units, but it should be converted to joules, by multiplying the electron-volts by e. Here e is the elementary charge, not the charge of the particle in question.
If it was an oxygen ion with charge 2e, and energy 3000 eV, the energy in joules would be 3000*e again.

Likes fight_club_alum
ehild said:
Yes, you get the speed from the kinetic energy, and you can measure energy in eV units, but it should be converted to joules, by multiplying the electron-volts by e.
Thank you
but
if I did this to convert ev to j
sqrt(2 * e * (3000e) / mass) <---- where e is the charge of a proton and 3000e is the ev to joule conversion
I get the wrong answer

fight_club_alum said:
Thank you
but
if I did this to convert ev to j
sqrt(2 * e * (3000e) / mass) <---- where e is the charge of a proton and 3000e is the ev to joule conversion
I get the wrong answer
You multiplied by e twice. v=sqrt(2*energy/mass) and energy (in joules) = e*energy (in electron-volts)

Likes fight_club_alum
Oh, I see what I've been doing
Thank you and sorry for taking too long

You are welcome :smile:

Likes fight_club_alum

1. What is a particle in a circular path due to magnetic field?

A particle in a circular path due to magnetic field refers to a phenomenon where a charged particle, such as an electron, is placed in a circular path due to the influence of a magnetic field. This is known as circular motion and is a result of the Lorentz force acting on the particle.

2. How does a magnetic field cause a particle to move in a circular path?

A magnetic field exerts a force on a charged particle, known as the Lorentz force. This force acts perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the velocity of the particle. This results in the particle moving in a circular path around the magnetic field lines.

3. What factors affect the radius of the circular path?

The radius of the circular path is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the charge of the particle, and the velocity of the particle. A stronger magnetic field, higher charge, or faster velocity will result in a larger radius of the circular path.

4. Can a particle in a circular path due to magnetic field change its speed?

Yes, a particle in a circular path due to magnetic field can change its speed. This can occur if the strength of the magnetic field or the charge of the particle changes, resulting in a change in the radius of the circular path and therefore the speed of the particle.

5. What are some real-world applications of particles moving in circular paths due to magnetic fields?

Particles moving in circular paths due to magnetic fields are used in a variety of technologies, including particle accelerators and mass spectrometers. They are also used in medical imaging techniques, such as MRI machines, to create detailed images of the human body.