1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle kinetic energy

1. Jul 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle with charge -3e is accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 200v .
    This gives the particle a kinetic energy of????
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    what does a charge of -3e mean???(-3*2.71...???) to kind the KE wouldn't i need a mass too??

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2010 #2
    e = charge of an electron.
    Try using conservation of energy?

4. Jul 18, 2010 #3
    ok so the P.d = Ke??
    I cant see that - can you give me a bit more please.

5. Jul 18, 2010 #4
    when a charged particle passes through a PotDif it "gains energy." (from the fields) since this is a particle of (assumed) no internal structure, the energy it gains will be in kinetic, not potential. Therefore you dont need a mass, the question just wants the energy.

the equation you need is indeed E = q.V (where q is the charge on the particle)

to better understand this, remember that we assume the particle does not "see" the potential when it is at an infinite distance from it (potential **difference** from that at infinity).
    So in essence, the value of KinEn is how much the potential "wants" the particle to pass through it.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  6. Jul 18, 2010 #5
    thanks Onamor - problem solved

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook