Solving the Particle Velocity at Time t=5

In summary, a particle with a mass of 1 kg moves under the force F=6(i+t j) N at time t s. Using F=ma, the acceleration vector is determined to be a=6i+6t j. Integrating this gives the velocity as v=(6t+c)i+(3t^2+c)j, where c is a constant. At t=0, v=0, therefore the velocity is v=(6t)i+(3t^2)j. At t=5 s, the velocity is v=(30)i+(75)j and the magnitude can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. It is important to note that the constants in the integration for the i and
thereddevils

Homework Statement

At time , t s , a particle with a mass 1 kg moves under the action of force F=6(i+t j) N. If the particles starts to move at time t=0 ,find the velocity of the particle at t=5 .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

By F=ma

the acceleration vector , a = 6i+6t j

integrate this gives , v= (6t+c)i+(3t^2+c)j

and when t=0 , v=0

therefore , v=(6t)i+(3t^2)j

and at t=5 s, v=(30)i+(75)j and my next job is to find its magnitude

Is everything all right ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes that looks to be correct, although you can leave your answer in the vectro form v=30i+75j. If you just put the magnitude, you'd need to put the angle as well since velocity is a vector quantity in that it has both magnitude and direction.

Just a tiny comment... you write F = ma and then write down a at once. You have used that the mass is equal to 1 here, you might have mentioned that more explicitly, perhaps.

Also the integrations are independent, so the "+ c" that goes with the i-component is not necessarily the same as the "+ c" in the j-component. You would better use different letters for those, for example

v= (6t+c1)i+(3t^2+c2)j
Then from v(t = 0) = 0 (= 0 i + 0 j) it indeed follows that c1 = c2 = 0 (but in general, you can get different constants).

Just some nitpicking from my side though, because you did correctly solve the problem.

thank you !

Your solution looks correct so far. To find the magnitude of the velocity, you can use the formula v = √(v_x^2 + v_y^2), where v_x and v_y are the x and y components of the velocity. Substituting in the values at t=5, we get v = √(30^2 + 75^2) = √(900 + 5625) = √6525 ≈ 80.74 m/s. This is the magnitude of the velocity at t=5.

1. What is the equation for calculating particle velocity at time t=5?

The equation for calculating particle velocity at time t=5 is v = v0 + at, where v is the velocity at time t, v0 is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do you determine the initial velocity of a particle?

The initial velocity of a particle can be determined by measuring its displacement and time, and then using the equation v = ∆x/∆t, where v is the initial velocity, ∆x is the displacement, and ∆t is the time interval.

3. Can you use the same equation to calculate particle velocity at any time t?

Yes, the equation v = v0 + at can be used to calculate particle velocity at any time t, as long as the initial velocity and acceleration remain constant.

4. What units are used for particle velocity?

The units for particle velocity can vary depending on the specific system of measurement, but they are typically represented as meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).

5. How does particle velocity affect the motion of an object?

The particle velocity determines the speed and direction of the object's motion, as well as how quickly it changes position. A higher velocity indicates a faster movement, while a negative velocity indicates a change in direction. Additionally, any changes in the particle's velocity can also affect its acceleration.