1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle motion

1. Jun 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At time , t s , a particle with a mass 1 kg moves under the action of force F=6(i+t j) N. If the particles starts to move at time t=0 ,find the velocity of the particle at t=5 .

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

By F=ma

the acceleration vector , a = 6i+6t j

integrate this gives , v= (6t+c)i+(3t^2+c)j

and when t=0 , v=0

therefore , v=(6t)i+(3t^2)j

and at t=5 s, v=(30)i+(75)j and my next job is to find its magnitude

Is everything allright ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Yes that looks to be correct, although you can leave your answer in the vectro form v=30i+75j. If you just put the magnitude, you'd need to put the angle as well since velocity is a vector quantity in that it has both magnitude and direction.

4. Jun 5, 2010 #3

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just a tiny comment... you write F = ma and then write down a at once. You have used that the mass is equal to 1 here, you might have mentioned that more explicitly, perhaps.

Also the integrations are independent, so the "+ c" that goes with the i-component is not necessarily the same as the "+ c" in the j-component. You would better use different letters for those, for example

v= (6t+c1)i+(3t^2+c2)j
    Then from v(t = 0) = 0 (= 0 i + 0 j) it indeed follows that c1 = c2 = 0 (but in general, you can get different constants).

Just some nitpicking from my side though, because you did correctly solve the problem.

5. Jun 5, 2010 #4
    thank you !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook