Particle moving in a rotating disc

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of ##\vec a_b## using trigonometry and the known values of ##\vec \omega##, ##v_{relx}##, and ##a_{relx}##. The conversation also brings up the question of how to calculate ##v_{rely}## and ##a_{rely}## and clarifies the difference between ##\vec a_{rel}## and ##\vec a##, with the suggestion to think about the time dependence of ##y_{rel}##. It is determined that the given data is relative to the disk and not the earth.
Like Tony Stark
Homework Statement
The particle ##A## moves along the groove while the disc turns about ##O## with an angular velocity ##\omega##. Find the ##x## and ##y## components of the acceleration of ##A## with respect to Earth when ##\omega =3 rad/s ; \dot{\omega}=-10 rad/s^2 ; x=7.5 cm ; v_x =10 cm/s## and ##a_x =15 cm/s^2##.
Relevant Equations
##\vec a=\vec a_B + \vec{\dot \omega} \times \vec r + \vec \omega \times (\vec \omega \times \vec r) + 2. (\vec \omega \times \vec v_{rel}) + \vec a_{rel}##
Well, I tried plugging the data in the formula. I know that ##\vec a_b = 0; \vec \omega=3 rad/s ; \vec r## can be calculated using trigonometry. Then I also know that ##v_{relx}= 10 cm/s##, ##a_{relx}=15 cm/s^2##, ##\vec {\dot{\omega}}=-10 rad/s^2##.

But how do I get ##v_{rely}## and ##a_{rely}##? And what's the difference between ##\vec a_{rel}## and ##\vec a##?

20190913_2306041.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Like Tony Stark said:
Well, I tried plugging the data in the formula. I know that ##\vec a_b = 0; \vec \omega=3 rad/s ; \vec r## can be calculated using trigonometry. Then I also know that ##v_{relx}= 10 cm/s##, ##a_{relx}=15 cm/s^2##, ##\vec {\dot{\omega}}=-10 rad/s^2##.
You need to specify directions for the vectors ##\vec \omega## and ##\dot {\vec \omega}##.

But how do I get ##v_{rely}## and ##a_{rely}##?
Think about the time dependence of ##y_{rel}##.

And what's the difference between ##\vec a_{rel}## and ##\vec a##?
What are the two frames of reference that you are working with in this problem? ##\vec a_{rel}## is the acceleration of ##A## relative to one of these frames and ##\vec a## is the acceleration of particle ##A## relative to the other frame. You need to decide which acceleration goes with which frame. The source from which you got the "Homework Equation" probably describes the notation.

TSny said:
You need to specify directions for the vectors ##\vec \omega## and ##\dot {\vec \omega}##.

Think about the time dependence of ##y_{rel}##.

What are the two frames of reference that you are working with in this problem? ##\vec a_{rel}## is the acceleration of ##A## relative to one of these frames and ##\vec a## is the acceleration of particle ##A## relative to the other frame. You need to decide which acceleration goes with which frame. The source from which you got the "Homework Equation" probably describes the notation.
What do you mean with "Think about the time dependence of ##y_{rel}##"? It seems that the velocity doesn't have ##y## component if you consider that the ball just moves from side to side. But it confuses me when I think about the rotation of the disc. Does it have ##y## component in that case?

Like Tony Stark said:
What do you mean with "Think about the time dependence of ##y_{rel}##"? It seems that the velocity doesn't have ##y## component if you consider that the ball just moves from side to side. But it confuses me when I think about the rotation of the disc. Does it have ##y## component in that case?

Yes, it can be confusing. It's not clear whether the axes drawn in the picture are fixed relative to the disk or fixed relative to the inertial frame. So, to make things clear, imagine x and y axes are painted on the disk in the orientation shown in the figure. Call these axes the xrel-axis and the yrel-axis. These axes rotate with the disk such that the xrel-axis always remains parallel to the groove.

The position of particle ##A## relative to the disk can be specified by the coordinates ##x_{rel}## and ##y_{rel}## of the particle relative to these axes. ##v_{rel y}## is the time derivative of ##y_{rel}##. So, if you know the time dependence of ##y_{rel}##, you can deduce the value of ##v_{rel y}##. That's why I suggested thinking about the time dependence of ##y_{rel}##. It does turn out to be pretty trivial.

TSny said:
Yes, it can be confusing. It's not clear whether the axes drawn in the picture are fixed relative to the disk or fixed relative to the inertial frame. So, to make things clear, imagine x and y axes are painted on the disk in the orientation shown in the figure. Call these axes the xrel-axis and the yrel-axis. These axes rotate with the disk such that the xrel-axis always remains parallel to the groove.

The position of particle ##A## relative to the disk can be specified by the coordinates ##x_{rel}## and ##y_{rel}## of the particle relative to these axes. ##v_{rel y}## is the time derivative of ##y_{rel}##. So, if you know the time dependence of ##y_{rel}##, you can deduce the value of ##v_{rel y}##. That's why I suggested thinking about the time dependence of ##y_{rel}##. It does turn out to be pretty trivial.
Oh, I see... but the data that was given to me is with respect to what? With respect to the disc, as if it was stationary? Or respect to the Earth, as if I was seeing the disc in a stationary place?

Like Tony Stark said:
Oh, I see... but the data that was given to me is with respect to what? With respect to the disc, as if it was stationary? Or respect to the Earth, as if I was seeing the disc in a stationary place?
I think the velocity and acceleration components, ##v_x## and ##a_x##, given in the problem are relative to the disk, not the earth. They could have been clearer about that.

They ask you to find the acceleration relative to the earth.

1. How does the rotation of a disc affect the trajectory of a particle moving within it?

The rotation of a disc creates a centrifugal force that causes the particle to move in a curved path instead of a straight line. This is known as the Coriolis effect.

2. Can the direction of rotation of the disc affect the particle's motion?

Yes, the direction of rotation of the disc can affect the particle's motion. If the disc is rotating clockwise, the particle will move towards the center of the disc, while if the disc is rotating counterclockwise, the particle will move away from the center.

3. How does the speed of the disc impact the speed of the particle?

The speed of the disc does not have a direct impact on the speed of the particle. However, the speed of the disc can affect the rate at which the particle's direction changes due to the Coriolis effect.

4. Is the particle's motion affected by its position on the disc?

Yes, the particle's motion is affected by its position on the disc. The further the particle is from the center of the disc, the stronger the centrifugal force will be, causing the particle to move in a larger curved path.

5. Can the rotation of the disc cause the particle to move in a circular path?

Yes, the rotation of the disc can cause the particle to move in a circular path as long as the centrifugal force is balanced by a centripetal force, such as friction or tension in a string attached to the particle.