1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle moving in potential

1. Sep 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The wave function for a particle of mass m moving in the potential
    V =
    { ∞ for x=0
    { 0 for 0 < x ≤ a
    { V0 for x ≥ a

is
    ψ(x)
    { Asin(kx) for 0 < x ≤ a
    { Ce-Kx for x ≥ a

with

k = √[(2mE/h2)]

K =√[((2m(V0-E)/h2)]

where h is h-bar in both equations, and remains so throughout this thread.

(a) Apply the boundary conditions at x = a and obtain the transcendental equation which determines the bound state energies E.
    (b) If
    √[(2mV0a2)/h2] = 3pi

determine the allowed bound state energies. Express your answers in the form of a numerical factor multiplying the dimensional factor (h2/(2ma2)).

(c) Given that the normalization factor for the wave function corresponding to the nth energy En is

An = √[2/a]*√[(Kna)/(1+(Kn*a))]

normalize the wave function for the lowest energy state.
    (d) What is the probability that a measurement of the position of a particle in the ground state will give a result ≥ a?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have completed parts (a) and (b) and I believe they are correct, here is a brief outline of what I did.
    At x = a: ψ(a)

Asin(ka) = Ce-Ka (1)

dψ/dx

kAcos(kx) = -KCe-Ka (2)

Dividing (2) by (1):

kcot(ka) = -K
    For the transcendental: z = ka, z0 = a√[(2mV0)/h2]

∴ -cot(z) = √[(z0/z)2-1]

Now setting z0 = 3pi (part b) and graphing -cot(z) and √[(z0/z)2-1] on the same plot, I find that intersections occur just below zn = npi

z = ka = a√[(2mE/h2)] ≈ npi

∴ Solving for En = (n2pi2h2)/(2ma2)

This is where I hit a road block. I believe the lowest energy state is E1 because it is just below pi (or 1pi), but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with this. I want to plug this into Kn, but that creates quite the mess. As for the second portion of ψ(x), I can just normalize that and solve for C using Kn, and I think I have a handle on part (d) as well. Any hints on part (c) or just checking my work so far would be much appreciated.

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You mean it is the first non-zero energy eigenstate? ##\small E_0=0## and all.

You have the equations for the wavefunctions, you have decided that n=1 is the lowest one, so the lowest energy wavefunction must be ##\psi_1## - which you found an expression for in part a and b.

Part c asks for the normalized wavefunction - which requires the normalization factor A1: which you have an equation for.

What's the problem?

You could always check by normalizing the hard way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted