Particle Octet: Explaining No Spin 1/2 Particles

• Thread starter lark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary, the conversation discusses an exercise in a book about the particle octet and why there are no spin 1/2 particles with uuu, ddd, or sss quarks. The participants also discuss the wavefunctions for particles with uds quarks and whether they are correct. One participant also mentions the importance of taking into account the total wavefunction's spin, spatial, and color dependencies. However, there is some disagreement over whether quarks follow Bose or Fermi-Dirac statistics.
lark
Would anyone like to tell me if I did this right? see attached .gif. It's an exercise in a book I'm reading, about explaining why there aren't any spin 1/2 particles with uuu, ddd, or sss quarks, 1 each of uud, uus, etc., and 2 of uds quarks: the particle octet.
Laura

Attachments

• 25.6.gif
    25.6.gif
    49.8 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't make out the thumbnail or make sense of it.
You can't have three u quarks in a spin 1/2 state, because the spin 1/2 state has mixed symmetry, and only purely symmetric states are allowed for three identical quarks in a completely symmetric spatial state.

lark said:
Would anyone like to tell me if I did this right? see attached .gif. It's an exercise in a book I'm reading, about explaining why there aren't any spin 1/2 particles with uuu, ddd, or sss quarks, 1 each of uud, uus, etc., and 2 of uds quarks: the particle octet.
Laura

The first statement makes no sense. You say that quarks follow Bose statistics even though they are fermions!:yuck:

Of course they follow Fermi-Dirac statistics!
But it's a bit complicated because the total wavefunction has a spin dependence, a spatial dependence but a colour dependence as well. All this must be taken into account.

nrqed said:
The first statement makes no sense. You say that quarks follow Bose statistics even though they are fermions
That exercise is before the book talks about color, it just says the quarks (appear to) follow boson statistics.

Other than that, which is kind of a minor point, does anyone have any comments? Are the wavefunctions for the particles with uds quarks right? That was mostly what I was asking about, because I just came up with a couple of wavefunctions that are linearly independent and look nice and symmetrical.

Laura

Last edited:

1. What is a particle octet?

A particle octet refers to a group of eight elementary particles that are arranged in a specific pattern based on their properties. This pattern is known as the octet rule and it helps to explain the behavior and interactions of these particles.

2. What types of particles are included in a particle octet?

The particles included in a particle octet are the six quarks (up, down, charm, strange, top, bottom) and the two leptons (electron, electron neutrino). These particles are categorized based on their spin, electric charge, and other properties.

3. How are these particles related to spin 1/2?

All of the particles in a particle octet have a spin of 1/2, which refers to their intrinsic angular momentum. This spin value is a fundamental property of these particles and helps to explain their behavior and interactions.

4. What is the significance of the particle octet?

The particle octet is significant because it helps to explain the behavior and interactions of these particles, which are the building blocks of matter. It also provides a framework for understanding the symmetries and patterns in the universe.

5. How does the particle octet fit into the Standard Model of particle physics?

The particle octet is a key component of the Standard Model, which is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. The octet rule plays a crucial role in this model, as it helps to explain the organization and properties of these particles.