1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle physics / ideal gas problem

1. Nov 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Dust particles are approximately 11.0 micrometers in diameter. They are pulverized rock, with density 2500 kg/m^3. If you treat dust as an ideal gas, what is the rms speed of a dust particle at 23.0 degrees C?

2. Relevant equations
    I have no idea.
    The only one I would bet money on is:

[tex]v_{rms}=\sqrt{\frac{3k_{B}T}{m}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I made a couple of far-reached guesses at this problem and came to the wrong answer. One method was to use the ideal gas law with pressure = 101325 Pa, and getting the number of particles to be 2.48*10^25. My main issue here is going from density and radius of a particle to a molecular mass or a correct number of particles. I am completely stumped by the problem and getting nowhere. If anyone could offer help, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2009 #2

jgens

Gold Member

Well, show us your work for what you've done so far and maybe we'll be able to offer more help! I'll give you a couple of hints though: The absolute temperature of an ideal gas is proportional to its random translational kinetic energy. How might this help you solve the problem?

4. Nov 20, 2009 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your starting formula is OK,

[tex]
    v_{rms}=\sqrt{\frac{3k_{B}T}{m}}
    [/tex]

but why do you want the number of he particles? In the formula, m means the mass of a single particle. Given the diameter and density, it is easy to get.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook