Particle physics / ideal gas problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the rms speed of a dust particle at 23.0 degrees Celsius, assuming the dust is an ideal gas. The suggested equation to use is v_{rms}=\sqrt{\frac{3k_{B}T}{m}}, where T represents the absolute temperature of the gas and m represents the mass of a single particle. The poster is struggling with converting the given information about density and diameter to determine the correct number of particles and is seeking assistance with the problem.
greenskyy

Homework Statement

Dust particles are approximately 11.0 micrometers in diameter. They are pulverized rock, with density 2500 kg/m^3. If you treat dust as an ideal gas, what is the rms speed of a dust particle at 23.0 degrees C?

Homework Equations

I have no idea.
The only one I would bet money on is:

[tex]v_{rms}=\sqrt{\frac{3k_{B}T}{m}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I made a couple of far-reached guesses at this problem and came to the wrong answer. One method was to use the ideal gas law with pressure = 101325 Pa, and getting the number of particles to be 2.48*10^25. My main issue here is going from density and radius of a particle to a molecular mass or a correct number of particles. I am completely stumped by the problem and getting nowhere. If anyone could offer help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, show us your work for what you've done so far and maybe we'll be able to offer more help! I'll give you a couple of hints though: The absolute temperature of an ideal gas is proportional to its random translational kinetic energy. How might this help you solve the problem?

Your starting formula is OK,

[tex]
v_{rms}=\sqrt{\frac{3k_{B}T}{m}}
[/tex]

but why do you want the number of he particles? In the formula, m means the mass of a single particle. Given the diameter and density, it is easy to get.

ehild

FAQ: Particle physics / ideal gas problem

1. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental particles and forces that make up the universe. It seeks to understand the behavior and interactions of these particles at the smallest scales.

2. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical model of a gas that follows certain assumptions, such as having no intermolecular forces and occupying no volume. It is used to simplify calculations and understand the behavior of real gases.

3. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

4. How is particle physics related to the ideal gas problem?

The ideal gas problem is a common scenario used in particle physics to understand the behavior of particles in a gas. By applying concepts from particle physics, such as kinetic theory and thermodynamics, scientists can better understand and predict the behavior of gases.

5. What are some current challenges in particle physics and the ideal gas problem?

Some current challenges in particle physics and the ideal gas problem include understanding the behavior of gases at extreme temperatures and pressures, finding a unified theory that explains all fundamental particles and forces, and developing new technologies to study and manipulate particles at smaller scales.