Particle Size & Mass: Same Size Different Mass?

In summary, elementary particles in QFT do not have a definite size, but the size of a hadron can be measured by its rms charged radius or cross section. The proton and neutron have similar size and mass, but there are no particles with exactly the same mass except for particle/anti-particle pairs. Some possible examples of particles with similar size but different masses are D and B mesons, with about a 15% difference in their charged radii. However, even if the sizes were the same, the proton cannot be considered a point particle. The concept of size in subatomic physics is still being studied, as discussed in Laughlin's Nobel Lecture.
Ranku
Are there examples of particles with same size but different masses?

Physics news on Phys.org
Elementary particles do not have a spatial extension in QFT. Size of a hadron one usually mean rms charged radius which in some way is analogous to how we can talk about "size" of an atom.

I think you either need to specify what you mean by size, or simply re-evaluate your concept of size in subatomic physics.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes ohwilleke, Ranku, jim mcnamara and 7 others
malawi_glenn said:
Elementary particles do not have a spatial extension in QFT. Size of a hadron one usually mean rms charged radius which in some way is analogous to how we can talk about "size" of an atom.

I think you either need to specify what you mean by size, or simply re-evaluate your concept of size in subatomic physics.
It can be rms radius charge or cross section. So are there examples of particles with similar ‘size’ but different masses?

Likes ohwilleke
Ranku said:
It can be rms radius charge or cross section. So are there examples of particles with similar ‘size’ but different masses?
Cross section means reaction probability in particle physics :)
Hadrons don't have a definitive size and only a few charged rms values are known experimentally. Some have been calculated theoretically. But sure for instance the proton and the neutron have both similar size and mass. Kinda depends on what you mean by similar size, what does similar mean? Plus/minus 10%? There are no particles that have exactly the same mass except particle/anti particle pairs.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes ohwilleke, vanhees71 and Ranku
malawi_glenn said:
Plus/minus 10% there are no particles that have exactly the same mass except particle/anti particle pairs.
Sure about that?
I won't cheat by using isospin multiplets.
I won't cheat by using SU(3) flavor multiplets.
I won't cheat by using quarkonia.
I won't cheat by picking particles with identical quark content.
I won't even cheat by picking particles with identical valence quark content.

Λ(1115) and φ(1020), 9.3% different.

Likes berkeman and vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
Sure about that?
I forgot a "?" there, and a capital letter :) I was typing on my cell phone.
That sentence makes no sense as you quoted it, since plus/minus 10% and exactly the same does not fit xD

Now it should make more sense:
malawi_glenn said:
Plus/minus 10%? There are no particles that have exactly the same mass except particle/anti particle pairs.
So the "plus/minus 10%?" I mean't how accurate the OP wanted "similar" to be.

Likes ohwilleke, Motore, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
There is no good way to measure this but D and B mesons should have a similar size, for the strong interaction both charm and bottom are simply a heavy quark. They have very different masses.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71, malawi_glenn and Ranku
Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes mfb, vanhees71 and Ranku
mfb said:
There is no good way to measure this
Transition magnetic moments tells you this. The problem is that these are OK for B*'s but small for D*'s.

Last edited:
Likes mfb, vanhees71 and malawi_glenn
StandardsGuy said:
So if mass size and charge size and scalar size are all different, a proton can't be a point particle.
No one has ever said that protons are point particles either. At least not here. And if they do, they are of course wrong. The proton is not an elementary particle. Did you think it is or what? Even if those radii were the same, proton would not be a pointparticle.

Here is the paper in Nature https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-05730-4 which is a pretty good source.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71
malawi_glenn said:
[...] Now, go and find for us the proof of neutrino size. Are you working on it?
These last posts remind me of the opening paragraph in Laughlin's Nobel Lecture.

apostolosdt said:
These last posts remind me of the opening paragraph in Laughlin's Nobel Lecture.
By all means, enlighten us.

Likes vanhees71
malawi_glenn said:
By all means, enlighten us.
Though not difficult to trace that Lecture, what I recalled was this (in Laughlin's own words):
1680725305840.png

(https://www.nobelprize.org/uploads/2018/06/laughlin-lecture.pdf).

• Haha
Likes vanhees71, malawi_glenn and weirdoguy
Did StandardsGuy dissapear? If some moderation has been done, perhaps some more posts should be removed?

1. What is particle size and mass?

Particle size refers to the diameter or dimensions of a particle, while mass refers to the amount of matter in a particle. They are two distinct physical properties of a particle.

2. How can particles of the same size have different mass?

Particle mass is determined by the type and amount of material that makes up the particle. Therefore, particles of the same size can have different mass if they are made of different materials or have different densities.

3. What factors affect particle size and mass?

The factors that affect particle size and mass include the material composition, density, and shape of the particle. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and external forces can also impact particle size and mass.

4. How is particle size and mass measured?

Particle size can be measured using techniques such as microscopy, sieving, and laser diffraction. Particle mass can be measured using a balance or other analytical instruments.

5. Why is understanding particle size and mass important?

Particle size and mass play crucial roles in various fields such as pharmaceuticals, environmental science, and materials science. Understanding these properties can help in predicting the behavior and interactions of particles, which is essential in developing new products and technologies.