Particle thrown from earth's surface

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum height a particle will reach when thrown upward from the surface of the Earth with an initial velocity of 4 km/s and a force of gravity equal to 9.81 m/s^2. The equations used to solve for time and height above the Earth are vf=vi+a*t and Yf=vi+1/2a*t^2+Yo. The correct approach involves converting the units of acceleration to km/s and using the equation v2-u2=2as while carefully considering sign convention. The final velocity at maximum height is zero, which can be used to solve for the maximum height by rearranging the equation.
barz1

Homework Statement

Okay so, a particle is thrown upward from the surface of the Earth with an initial velocity of 4 km/s. Force of gravity equals 9.81 m/s^2.
Find max height the particle will reach.

Homework Equations

Since the particle remains close enough to the earth, I believe simple constant acceleration equations apply.
vf=vi + a*t I used to solve for time
Yf=vi + 1/2a*t2 + Yo I used to solve for height above earth

The Attempt at a Solution

So I feel like this should be the easiest problem in the world. The question tries to throw you off by giving velocity in km/s and acceleration in m/s so converting accel. to km/s since they want an answer in km. I solved for t and got 407.75s then I just plugged this into my second equation and solved for Yf, or height above the earth.
Buttt I am not getting the right answer, I didn't try adding my Yf to the radius of the Earth (although I don't really know why I would be expected to) and this question is from a chapter regarding universal gravitation. So I guess I am just wondering did I go about this problem the right way or no?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
use equation v2-u2=2as
use sign convention carefully

i think you know that at max height velocity is zero

Btw the ACCELERATION due to gravity equals 9.81m/s^2.
So using the equation Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad you can find the max height by solving for d.
Here's a clue: What is the final velocity at maximum height?

What is a particle thrown from the earth's surface?

A particle thrown from the earth's surface refers to any object that is propelled from the ground, typically by a force such as throwing or launching. This can include objects such as balls, rockets, or even small particles like dust or sand.

What factors affect the trajectory of a particle thrown from the earth's surface?

The trajectory of a particle thrown from the earth's surface is affected by several factors including the initial velocity, the angle at which the particle is thrown, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors all work together to determine the path that the particle will follow.

How does air resistance affect the motion of a particle thrown from the earth's surface?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that acts opposite to the direction of motion and can slow down the movement of a particle. This means that the presence of air resistance will cause a particle thrown from the earth's surface to have a shorter range and a lower maximum height compared to a particle thrown in a vacuum.

Can a particle thrown from the earth's surface ever escape the earth's gravitational pull?

Yes, a particle thrown from the earth's surface can escape the earth's gravitational pull if it has enough initial velocity. This is known as the escape velocity and varies depending on the mass and radius of the object being thrown. For example, the escape velocity for a rocket is much higher than that of a thrown ball.

How is the motion of a particle thrown from the earth's surface affected by the rotation of the earth?

The rotation of the earth has a very small effect on the motion of a particle thrown from the earth's surface. This is because the rotation of the earth is much slower compared to the speed of a thrown object, and the effects of the earth's rotation are negligible for most practical purposes.