Particles Overview: Learn About Subatomic Particles

• Thread starter Starproj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary, the conversation is about a student who is struggling in their advanced modern physics course because the professor expects them to have knowledge of all subatomic particles. The student has tried to find a condensed table to help them memorize the particles but has been unsuccessful. Another person suggests looking at Wikipedia or the PDG website, but warns that it may be difficult to memorize all of the particles. The conversation ends with the student expressing their gratitude for the helpful links.
Starproj
Hi,

I am in emergency mode! I am enrolled in a 400 level modern physics course, that I thought would be a continuation of the 200-level modern physics required as a sophomore. The prof expects us to be familiar with subatomic particles -- all of them. So far in my education I have only been exposed to bosons and fermions and their constituents. I have tried to do a Google search to find a table that summarizes and catalogs these particles, similar to the periodic table, but the sites I have found, to be honest, are more than I am looking for at this point. Does anyone have or know of a handle at-a-glance table I can use to start memorizing them this weekend? I know this sounds desperate, and I apologize, but I am in dire need.

As always, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're probably going to need to be more specific. If you're looking for a list of all the fundamental particles that we know of (i.e., leptons, quarks, and gauge bosons), that can be found on the Wikipedia page for the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Model" . Or by subatomic particles do you just mean electrons, protons, and neutrons?

A list of all measured (fundamental as well as composite) particles can be found on the http://pdg.lbl.gov/" website. Good luck memorizing all of those. I'm not aware of a condensed table form of those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another good one IMO is: http://www.cpepweb.org/cpep_sm_large.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. By following your links and doing a little elbow grease, I have been able to generate an outline of what's what and in what group.

I should have been an English major...

Related to Particles Overview: Learn About Subatomic Particles

1. What are subatomic particles?

Subatomic particles are tiny particles that make up an atom. They include protons, neutrons, and electrons, which are the building blocks of all matter.

2. How are subatomic particles different from one another?

Subatomic particles differ in their size, mass, and charge. Protons have a positive charge, neutrons have no charge, and electrons have a negative charge. Protons and neutrons are much larger than electrons.

3. What is the role of subatomic particles in an atom?

Protons and neutrons make up the nucleus of an atom, while electrons orbit around the nucleus. These particles are responsible for determining the properties and behavior of an atom, such as its atomic number, mass, and chemical reactivity.

4. Can subatomic particles be created or destroyed?

Subatomic particles cannot be created or destroyed under normal circumstances. However, in certain high-energy environments, such as in particle accelerators, subatomic particles can be created or converted into other particles.

5. How do scientists study subatomic particles?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study subatomic particles, such as particle accelerators, detectors, and theoretical models. By studying subatomic particles, scientists can gain a better understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern the universe.