Partition of Integers with mod

In summary, the subsets of the set of integers - the set of integers divisible by 4, the set of integers equivalent to 1 mod 4, 2 mod 4, and 3 mod 4 - are a partition of the set of integers. This can be seen through the example of 4/4 = 1, 5/4 = 1 R 1, 6/4 = 1 R 2, and 7/4 = 1 R 3. It is also possible to include negative numbers by considering their equivalent mod 4 values.
nicnicman

Homework Statement

Are the following subsets partitions of the set of integers?

The set of integers divisible by 4, the set of integers equivalent to 1 mod 4, 2 mod 4, and 3 mod 4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Yes, it is a partition of the set of integers. Consider 4/4 = 1, 5/4 = 1 R 1, 6/4 = 1 R 2, 7/4 = 1 R 3.

However, how would you create a negative number like -5?

Physics news on Phys.org
nicnicman said:

Homework Statement

Are the following subsets partitions of the set of integers?

The set of integers divisible by 4, the set of integers equivalent to 1 mod 4, 2 mod 4, and 3 mod 4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Yes, it is a partition of the set of integers. Consider 4/4 = 1, 5/4 = 1 R 1, 6/4 = 1 R 2, 7/4 = 1 R 3.

However, how would you create a negative number like -5?

I'm not too clear on what your argument is supposed to mean. What's R? But -5=3 mod 4 since (-5)=(-2)*4+3. Hmm, I think I see. R means 'remainder', yes?

Last edited:
Sorry, I forgot to mention this is far from a formal proof. R just means remainder.

nicnicman said:
Sorry, I forgot to mention this is far from a formal proof. R just means remainder.

Yeah, it is far from formal. But I see what you are doing. Are you supposed to give something formal or just answer yes or no?

Just answer yes or no. And, you answered my question. I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. Thanks.

1. What is the definition of "partition of integers with mod"?

The partition of integers with mod refers to the process of dividing a set of integers into smaller, non-overlapping subsets based on a specified modulus value. It involves finding all possible combinations of integers that add up to a given number, taking into account the modulus value as a constraint.

2. How is the partition of integers with mod different from regular integer division?

The partition of integers with mod differs from regular integer division in that it considers the remainder when dividing the numbers. In regular integer division, the quotient is the only important result, while in the partition of integers with mod, both the quotient and the remainder are taken into consideration.

3. What is the purpose of using mod in the partition of integers?

The use of mod in the partition of integers allows for a more structured and organized way of dividing a set of integers. It helps to group the numbers into smaller subsets with a defined range, making it easier to analyze and work with the data.

4. How is the partition of integers with mod useful in real-life applications?

The partition of integers with mod has various real-life applications, such as in computer science, where it is used in error correction codes and cryptography. It is also used in scheduling and resource allocation problems, as well as in number theory and algebraic geometry.

5. What are some common algorithms used for the partition of integers with mod?

Some commonly used algorithms for the partition of integers with mod include the Euclidean algorithm, Chinese remainder theorem, and the sieve of Eratosthenes. These algorithms help to efficiently find all possible combinations of integers that satisfy the modulus constraint and form the partitions.