Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Path Integral Basics (Why dimension increases in the integrals?)

1. Jan 3, 2012 #1
    Alright, I have a kind of dumb question:

Why do I distinguish between dq and dqi when considering the propagation from qi to q to qf?

For example, if we want the wave function at some qf and tf given qi and ti, we may write:
    ψ(qf,tf)=∫K(qftf;qiti)ψ(qi,ti)dqi

Why do we distinguish between dqi and say, dq, of an intermediate point q?

I understand that a second integration arises, naturally, since another propagator is defined. I just don't get the need to distinguish? I feel like it's almost book-keeping, like we write out (or don't since we use product notation followed by a script D) our dq's so we don't have to write out more integrals...

I know that's not right though, because we treat q and qi as different things...

Some direction would be great...I feel kind of dumb for whatever I'm missing.

edit:
    I think I mis-titled this a little, but it's close enough, I hope.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2012 #2
    I'm not quite sure what you're asking but when deriving path integrals one takes the propagation (or the sum of all propagations) between states i and f and subdivides them, and then subdivides them again, and again until the path between two states has been turned from a finite path in phase space to an infinite sum of infinitesimal paths.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook