Path Integral Basics (Why dimension increases in the integrals?)

In summary, the conversation is discussing the distinction between dq and dqi when considering the propagation from qi to q to qf. This distinction arises due to the need for a second integration and is necessary for the derivation of path integrals.
Elwin.Martin
Alright, I have a kind of dumb question:

Why do I distinguish between dq and dqi when considering the propagation from qi to q to qf?

For example, if we want the wave function at some qf and tf given qi and ti, we may write:
ψ(qf,tf)=∫K(qftf;qiti)ψ(qi,ti)dqi

Why do we distinguish between dqi and say, dq, of an intermediate point q?

I understand that a second integration arises, naturally, since another propagator is defined. I just don't get the need to distinguish? I feel like it's almost book-keeping, like we write out (or don't since we use product notation followed by a script D) our dq's so we don't have to write out more integrals...

I know that's not right though, because we treat q and qi as different things...

Some direction would be great...I feel kind of dumb for whatever I'm missing.

edit:
I think I mis-titled this a little, but it's close enough, I hope.

Physics news on Phys.org
Elwin.Martin said:
Alright, I have a kind of dumb question:

Why do I distinguish between dq and dqi when considering the propagation from qi to q to qf?

For example, if we want the wave function at some qf and tf given qi and ti, we may write:
ψ(qf,tf)=∫K(qftf;qiti)ψ(qi,ti)dqi

Why do we distinguish between dqi and say, dq, of an intermediate point q?

I understand that a second integration arises, naturally, since another propagator is defined. I just don't get the need to distinguish? I feel like it's almost book-keeping, like we write out (or don't since we use product notation followed by a script D) our dq's so we don't have to write out more integrals...

I know that's not right though, because we treat q and qi as different things...

Some direction would be great...I feel kind of dumb for whatever I'm missing.

edit:
I think I mis-titled this a little, but it's close enough, I hope.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking but when deriving path integrals one takes the propagation (or the sum of all propagations) between states i and f and subdivides them, and then subdivides them again, and again until the path between two states has been turned from a finite path in phase space to an infinite sum of infinitesimal paths.

1. What is the path integral method?

The path integral method is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle moving from one point to another. It involves summing over all possible paths that the particle could take between the two points, taking into account the interference between these paths.

2. How does the dimension increase in path integrals?

In path integrals, the dimension increases because the integral is taken over all possible paths of the particle, including those in higher dimensions. This is because the particle can move in any direction in space, and thus the integral must account for all of these possibilities.

3. Why is it necessary to use higher dimensions in path integrals?

Using higher dimensions in path integrals allows for a more accurate calculation of the probability of a particle's movement. In quantum mechanics, particles behave as both particles and waves, and considering all possible paths in higher dimensions takes into account the wave-like behavior of particles.

4. How does the dimension of space impact the path integral?

The dimension of space plays a crucial role in the path integral method, as it determines the number of variables that need to be integrated over. In higher dimensions, there are more possible paths for the particle to take, leading to a more complex integral.

5. Can the path integral method be applied to systems in classical mechanics?

Yes, the path integral method can also be applied to systems in classical mechanics. However, it is most commonly used in quantum mechanics, as it takes into account the wave-like behavior of particles that is not observed in classical systems.