1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Path length of a light ray

1. Aug 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A glass optical fibre of length L = 3.2 m is in a medium of glycerine with a refractive index n0 = 1.47 . The fibre has a core of refractive index, n1 = 1.58 and diameter, d = 100μm surrounded by a thin cladding of refractive index, n2 = 1.53. The end of the fibre is cut square (see diagram).

[PLAIN]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4976/imagenz.gif [Broken]

For the aforementioned fibre, what is the total path length of a ray within the fibre that enters the fibre at the acceptance angle?

3. The attempt at a solution

Here are the stuff that I have already calculated:

* The minimum angle, θ2, for total internal reflection at the core/cladding boundary: 75.5 degrees.

* The angle, θ1, to the axis of the fibre that corresponds to the minimum angle, θ2: 14.5 degrees.

* The acceptance angle θ0: 15.6 degrees.

So, now to find the path length of a ray within the fibre that enters the fibre at the acceptance angle I tried using trigonometry:

Since d=100.0 μm = 100 x 106 m. We have d/2 = 50 x 106.

[tex]sin (14.5) = \frac{50 \times 10^6}{x}[/tex]

x= a very huge number!!

But the answer must be 3.305 m! What did I do wrong? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1 μm is not 106 m.

ehild

4. Aug 8, 2010 #3
    Oh, I meant 10-6. But why is it that I end up with 1.9 x 10-4? This is not the right answer...

5. Aug 8, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are a lot of reflections in that 3.2 m long fibre. The light goes through the whole length of the fibre, but trawels along a zigzag path which is longer than the fibre length.

ehild

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook