Path of light in material of continuously varying refractive index

Thank you!In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of ##y(x)## that minimizes the time functional ##T[y]##, which is defined as an integral involving the speed of light and the arc length. After some calculations, the result is obtained but with some errors, which are then corrected. However, another participant in the conversation presents a different approach by considering the optical Lagrangian and the index of refraction, which leads to a new constant of motion. This insight is appreciated by the original speaker.
etotheipi
Homework Statement
Suppose that the speed of light ##c(y)## varies continuously through a medium and is a function of the distance from the boundary ##y=0##. Use Fermat's principle to show that the path ##y(x)## of the light ray is given by

$$c(y)y'' + c'(y)(1+y'^{2})=0$$
Relevant Equations
N/A
I've been playing around with this for quite some time now this morning but can't get the last bit out. I defined the time functional to be $$T[y] = \int_{x_1}^{x_2} \frac{\sqrt{1+(y')^{2}}}{c(y)} dx$$ which follows from consideration of the time taken to cover an infinitesimal section of arc. I want to find the ##y(x)## that minimises ##T## so I let ##F(x,y,y') = \frac{\sqrt{1+(y')^{2}}}{c(y)}## and put the whole thing into the magic equation $$
\begin{align}
\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y'}\right) &= \frac{\partial F}{\partial y} \\ \frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{1}{c(y)} \frac{y'}{\sqrt{1+(y')^{2}}} \right) &= \frac{\partial F}{\partial y} \\ \frac{1}{c(y)} \frac{y''\sqrt{1+(y')^{2}} - \frac{(y')^{2}}{\sqrt{1+(y')^2}}}{1+(y')^2} + \frac{c'(y)}{c(y)^{2}} \frac{(y')^{2}}{\sqrt{1+(y')^2}} &= - \sqrt{1+ (y')^2} \frac{c'(y)}{c(y)^{2}}
\end{align}
$$ This turns out to be equivalent to $$c(y) y'' + c'(y) (1+(y')^2) = \frac{c(y)(y')^2}{1+(y')^2} - c'(y)(1+(y')^2)$$So it's sort of what we want, except not really since I've got that annoying thing on the RHS! Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes JD_PM
Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out, there were two errors in my working!

In equation (3), I ended the derivative chain too early and forgot to multiply the second term in the first fraction by ##y''##. The first fraction should actually read $$\frac{1}{c(y)} \frac{y''\sqrt{1+(y')^{2}} - \frac{(y')^{2}(y'')}{\sqrt{1+(y')^2}}}{1+(y')^2}$$ And secondly, the second fraction in equation (3) should be negated. With those corrections, the desired result is obtained after a bit of cancellation.

Phew...

With all due respect, I have a different take on your problem. Your optical Lagrangian is, $$
\mathcal L=\frac{\sqrt{(1+y'^2)}}{c(y)}$$ and thus$$
\frac{\partial{\mathcal L}}{\partial {y'}}=\frac{y'}{c(y)\sqrt{(1+y'^2)}}\\
\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{\partial{\mathcal L}}{\partial {y'}})=\frac{y''}{c(y)\sqrt{(1+y'^2)}} + y'\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{1}{c(y)\sqrt{(1+y'^2)}})\\
\frac{\partial{\mathcal L}}{\partial {y}}=-\frac{c'(y)\sqrt{(1+y'^2)}}{c(y)^2}$$ and we have.$$
\frac{y''}{c(y)\sqrt{(1+y'^2)}}+y'\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{1}{c(y)\sqrt{(1+y'^2)}})=-\frac{c'(y)\sqrt{(1+y'^2)}}{c(y)^2}\\
c(y)y''+c'(y)(1+y'^2)=-c(y)y'\sqrt{(1+y'^2)}\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{1}{c(y)\sqrt{(1+y'^2)}})$$For the l.h.s. to be zero, we must have,$$
\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{c}{c(y)\sqrt{(1+y'^2)}})=0$$where I have multiplied by c (speed of light in vacuum) and we see ##\frac{c}{c(y)\sqrt{(1+y'^2)}}## is a constant of motion. The ratio ##\frac{c}{c(y)}## is the index of refraction and we infer that the index of refraction is proportional to a differential element of arc length.

• Love
Likes etotheipi
Fred Wright said:
For the l.h.s. to be zero, we must have,$$
\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{c}{c(y)\sqrt{(1+y'^2)}})=0$$where I have multiplied by c (speed of light in vacuum) and we see ##\frac{c}{c(y)\sqrt{(1+y'^2)}}## is a constant of motion. The ratio ##\frac{c}{c(y)}## is the index of refraction and we infer that the index of refraction is proportional to a differential element of arc length.

That's a really nice insight, I hadn't considered anything further than the given result!

1. What is the "path of light" in a material with continuously varying refractive index?

The path of light in a material with continuously varying refractive index is the trajectory that light takes as it travels through the material. This path is affected by the changing refractive index, which determines the speed of light in different parts of the material.

2. How does the refractive index of a material affect the path of light?

The refractive index of a material determines how much the speed of light is slowed down as it passes through the material. This, in turn, affects the direction of the light as it travels through the material, causing it to bend or refract.

3. What is the relationship between the refractive index and the speed of light in a material?

The refractive index and the speed of light in a material are inversely proportional. This means that as the refractive index increases, the speed of light decreases, and vice versa.

4. How does the continuously varying refractive index of a material affect the behavior of light?

The continuously varying refractive index of a material can cause light to bend or refract as it travels through the material. This can result in interesting optical phenomena, such as the creation of rainbows or the mirage effect.

5. How is the path of light in a material with continuously varying refractive index calculated?

The path of light in a material with continuously varying refractive index is calculated using the laws of refraction and Snell's law. These laws take into account the changing refractive index of the material and the angle of incidence of the light to determine the direction of the light as it passes through the material.