Pauli Matrices and orthogonal projections

In summary, the conversation discussed using the Pauli Matrices and an orthogonal projection in solving a problem involving a complex vector and the identity matrix. Hints were given on how to approach the problem, including using common identities and matrix notation. The conversation also briefly mentioned solving the particle in a box problem using Schroedinger's equation.
clumsy9irl
Ok, I'm working with the Pauli Matrices, and I've already gone through showing a few bits of information. I've got a good idea how to keep going, but I'm not exactly sure about this one--

say M= 1/2(alphaI + a*sigma)

where alpha E C, a=(ax, ay, az) a complex vector, a*sigma=ax sigmax+ay sigmay+ az sigmz, and I is the identity matrix.

So, an orthogonal projection means that for a matrix P, P^2 and P dagger are both equal to P, right?

Supposedly alpha and a can beonstrained so that M is an orthogonal projection.

How would I go about doing that? :confused:

Thanks muchly!

Physics news on Phys.org
Some hints

Hey there !

Here are some hints on a was to do it :

You will only use the fact that [tex]M^2 = M[/tex]...

1) Compute [tex] M^2 [/tex] :

[tex] M^2 = \cfrac{1}{4}\left(\alpha I + \sum_i a_i \sigma_i \right)^2 = ...[/tex]

You will find a term like [tex] \sum_i \sum_j a_i a_j \sigma_i \sigma [/tex]

In order to reduce this term, use some common identities :

[tex] \sigma_i \sigma_j = I \delta_{ij} + i \epsilon_{ijk} \sigma_k [/tex]

and

[tex] \sigma_i \sigma_j + \sigma_j \sigma_i = 2 \delta_{ij} I[/tex]

If you applied them correctly, you should get something quite simple. You then use the fact that [tex] M^2 = M [/tex] and you will find by identification :
[tex] \alpha = 1 \text{ and } ||a|| = 1 [/tex], which is your final answer (Hopefully, I didn't mess up).

If you're not confident with the use of the Levi-Civita symbol, another (more tedious) way is to write all in matrix notation (2x2), compute M^2 and put this equal to M... You will get 4 equations, which will reduce to the answer given above.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Florian

i must've screwed something up, for I'm getting a sqrt(2) for my alpha?

maybe i screwed up something with the identities...

oh, and i almost forgot, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

can we solve the particle in a box problem using schrodingers equation?

mayriluseeya said:
can we solve the particle in a box problem using schrodingers equation?

Sure, it's easy; they do it in Halliday and Resnick.

(But not with the Pauli spin matrices.)

Related to Pauli Matrices and orthogonal projections

1. What are Pauli matrices?

Pauli matrices are a set of three 2x2 complex matrices named after physicist Wolfgang Pauli. They are widely used in quantum mechanics and represent spin operators for spin-1/2 particles.

2. How are Pauli matrices related to orthogonal projections?

Pauli matrices are related to orthogonal projections in that they can be used to construct orthogonal projection operators. Specifically, the three Pauli matrices, along with the identity matrix, form a basis for the space of all 2x2 complex matrices, which allows for the construction of any orthogonal projection operator.

3. What are the properties of Pauli matrices?

Pauli matrices have several important properties, including being Hermitian (equal to their own conjugate transpose), unitary (equal to their own inverse), and traceless (the sum of their diagonal elements equals zero).

4. How are Pauli matrices used in physics?

Pauli matrices have a variety of applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics. They are used to represent spin operators, to construct orthogonal projection operators, and are also involved in many quantum mechanical equations and calculations.

5. Can Pauli matrices be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, Pauli matrices can be generalized to higher dimensions. In fact, for any integer n greater than or equal to 2, there exists a set of n matrices, each with dimensions nxn, that satisfy the same properties as the Pauli matrices. These are known as the n-dimensional generalization of the Pauli matrices.