PC Card vs USB Tuner for Acer Laptop - What to Get?

• Thread starter exequor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc Usb
In summary, the main issue with USB tv tuners is the lag they cause when watching video. PCMCIA tv tuners are also problematic, but the software they come with is better. External USB tv tuners are the best option, as they have no lag and are cheaper than PC card tuners.
exequor
I am considering getting a tv tuner for my acer laptop. I have heard of some lag issues with the usb tuners. I have 64mb of shared video memory (and usb2 ofcourse) but i don't want to buy a usb tuner then there are lag issues. I noticed that the usb ones are cheaper than pc cards and they provide much more features such as am/fm as well as video and sound inputs/outputs.

What would you guys recommend that I get?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I think USB2 will be good enough. I haven't personally tried it, but with a tranfer rate of 480Mbits I think you'll be fine. PCMCIA should be fine too.

The main issue I see is the actual tv turner software. The reason I say this is because I have a hauppauge PCI card and the company's software blows on windows. Linux on the other hand has a nice program called tvtime which works wonders. All the USB2/PCMCIA tv tuners your going to find are going to have about the same quality but it is the software you use the card with that makes the difference.

I don't have any particular model of recommendation, but in your research I would concentrate on the software the tvtuner comes with.

Lag could only be an issue if you are playing video games - other than that, I think a usb adapter should be fine.

One thing I have experienced with PCI cards is that the electric/magnetic fields inside the pc make for worse reception than with external adapters. I didn't believe this when others told me until I tried it myself. The same problem could (but I don't know for sure) exist with pc card tuners.

thanx for the info guys. I think that I will go for the external usb tuner because I get more features for the same price (or a cheaper price).

ATI has a nice one, I have read good reviews of that. look into that, its like $100.

1. What is a PC Card tuner and how does it differ from a USB tuner?

A PC Card tuner is a hardware device that is inserted into the PC Card slot of a laptop to enable TV and radio reception. On the other hand, a USB tuner is a small device that can be plugged into a USB port of a laptop to provide the same functionality. The main difference between the two is the connection method - PC Card tuners use the older PC Card slot while USB tuners use the more common USB port.

2. Which one is better, a PC Card tuner or a USB tuner?

It ultimately depends on your personal preference and the specifications of your laptop. If your laptop has a PC Card slot, a PC Card tuner may be a better option as it will not occupy a USB port. However, if your laptop does not have a PC Card slot, a USB tuner may be a more convenient and versatile choice.

3. How do I know if my Acer laptop has a PC Card slot?

You can check the specifications of your laptop or refer to the user manual to see if it has a PC Card slot. Alternatively, you can physically inspect your laptop - a PC Card slot is usually located on the side of the laptop and looks similar to a credit card slot.

4. Can I use both a PC Card tuner and a USB tuner on my Acer laptop?

Yes, you can use both a PC Card tuner and a USB tuner on your Acer laptop. However, you may need to install separate drivers and software for each tuner, and you can only use one tuner at a time.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when choosing between a PC Card tuner and a USB tuner for my Acer laptop?

Yes, there are a few other things to consider. PC Card tuners tend to have better reception and signal strength compared to USB tuners. Additionally, if you plan on using your laptop for other tasks while using the tuner, a USB tuner may be a better choice as it will not block other ports like the PC Card tuner may. It's also important to check the compatibility of the tuner with your laptop's operating system.