PCB Fabrication at Home: Basics & Acids Needed

In summary, the conversation is about making a PCB at home and the sequence of fabrication steps. The person used UV light, basic solution, and acidic solution, but it did not work. They are asking for the names of the bases and acids used in this process. They also mention getting a kit from a specific website and having issues with over-exposure or under-exposure. They suggest checking the density of the transparency and diluting the developer correctly.
hisham.i
Hello, am trying to make pcb at my home, but am not sure about the sequence of fabrication steps.
i put the board in UV light for several minutes, then i put it in a basic solution and finally in ana acidic one, but nothing happened to my board...
What are the names of bases and acids used for this purpose?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I got a kit from here:
http://www.elexp.com/pro-pcb.htm
If I remember correctly there is a developer for the exposed board and then a ferric-nitrate or some such etchant. If you get no image on the board after the exposure and development, and nothing etches, then I suspect you are way over-exposing -- possibly your transparency is not dense enough in the dark areas. If everything etches away then it's way under-exposed. I remember that I had a little brain-fade when I first tried the kit and didn't dilute the developer correctly, which lead to a seeming under-exposure condition too.

What is PCB fabrication?

PCB fabrication is the process of creating printed circuit boards (PCBs) for electronic devices. This involves designing the layout of the circuit, etching the copper traces, and adding components such as resistors, capacitors, and integrated circuits.

Can PCBs be fabricated at home?

Yes, PCBs can be fabricated at home using basic materials and equipment. However, it requires some knowledge and skill in electronics and chemistry.

What are the basic materials needed for PCB fabrication at home?

The basic materials needed for PCB fabrication at home include a copper-clad board, etching solution (such as ferric chloride or ammonium persulfate), a developer solution (such as sodium hydroxide), a resist (such as photoresist or toner transfer paper), and a UV light source (for photoresist method).

What are the acids commonly used in PCB fabrication?

The most commonly used acids in PCB fabrication are ferric chloride and ammonium persulfate. Ferric chloride is a strong oxidizing agent that is commonly used for etching copper. Ammonium persulfate is a milder alternative to ferric chloride and is often used for etching more delicate circuits.

What safety precautions should I take when working with PCB fabrication acids?

When working with PCB fabrication acids, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves, safety glasses, and a respirator. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area and dispose of the acids properly according to local regulations.