Pd across resistors, can u explain the following?

In summary, when a third resistor is added in parallel to a series circuit with a 12volt power supply and two 2-ohm resistors, the potential difference across each resistor changes to 8v for R1 and 4v for R2 and R3. This may seem contradictory to the idea of a single electron flowing through a circuit, but it can be explained by the fact that the parallel connection provides a wider path for the electron to flow through, reducing the overall resistance and making it easier for the electron to pass through. The analogy of a crowded resistor surface can also be used to explain this concept.
deem
In a circuit that has a 12volt power supply and two 2- ohm resistors, R1 and R2, in series, the pd across each resistor is obviously 6v.
If a 3rd resistor (also 2-ohm)R3, is placed in parallel across R2 then the pd across them changes to the following:
R1=8v R2=4v= R3 (parallel)

However, when I am explaining pd to my students I ask them to imagine they are a single electron, that has to make its way thru the resistors, and has to do a lot of work, and loses elec potential energy as a result. This works very well for series circuits, but the above calculations blow my analogy out of the water, because I inevitably get the “well, if it is a single electron and only takes ONE pathway, then why does it seem easier to get thru the parallel portion of the circuit? Ie. In the original series circuit the electron had to expend half “energy” to get thru the 2-ohm resistor, but just cos a new one is introduced, it eases the pathway thru the second, and now it spends 2/3 of its energy going thru the first resistor and only 1/3 going thru the second.”
In other words, just because another route has opened, this should have no bearing on how hard it is to get thru the very FIRST resistor R1. Also, if an electron takes ONE route (R2), it is completely unaware of the parallel route (R3), and should still have to work just as hard to get thru the R2 as it originally did.

I can explain it properly when we are talking about coulombs because I say that the overall work done by the coulomb is “shared” along the two paths (but I am not even totally happy with that explanation myself!) but surely it should work for individual electrons just as much, and yet each electron takes ONLY ONE path!

Is it because the sheer number of electrons going thru has been reduced so that somehow reduces the work an individual electron has to do, since it is less “crowded” en route?

I understand all the Ohm’s Law calculations, but I really would like a conceptual explanation on a single-electron level that would also explain it in terms of a charge having to battle its way across a crowded resistor surface.

Sorry to have been so longwinded. I have asked several teachers and I have not got any satisfactory response, and if u can help me out at all, I would really apprec.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would forget the "one electron" idea. A lot of educators use http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_2/2.html.

Regards

You can explain that by saying that the parallel connection provides a wider path. So it is easier for the electron flow through it.

Yes. A resistor would be like a restriction. With two equal parallel resistors you would have half the restriction (hence twice the cross-section/path).

1. What is Pd across resistors?

Pd across resistors, also known as potential difference, is the voltage drop that occurs across a resistor in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts and is the difference in electric potential between two points.

2. How is Pd across resistors calculated?

Pd across resistors can be calculated by using Ohm's Law, which states that Pd (voltage) is equal to the product of the current (I) and the resistance (R). In other words, Pd = I * R.

3. What is the unit of measurement for Pd across resistors?

The unit of measurement for Pd across resistors is volts (V). This is a standard unit of measurement for voltage in the International System of Units (SI).

4. Why is Pd across resistors important?

Pd across resistors is important because it allows us to control the flow of electricity in a circuit. By adjusting the resistance, we can change the amount of Pd and therefore control the amount of current flowing through the circuit. This is crucial for regulating the power consumption of electronic devices.

5. Can you explain the relationship between Pd across resistors and current?

The relationship between Pd across resistors and current is described by Ohm's Law, which states that the current flowing through a resistor is directly proportional to the Pd across it. This means that as the Pd increases, the current will also increase, and vice versa. However, the resistance of the resistor remains constant in this relationship.