1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PDE of a 3d function

1. Jun 18, 2009 #1
    b]1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]
    Find the characteristics, and then the solution, of the partial differential equation

x[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/tex]+xy[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}[/tex]+z[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial z}[/tex]=0

given that u(1, y, z)=yz

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Found this question on an old exam and am not quite sure what to do.
    Initialy i tried to take the z derivative to the other side and still take dy/dy=y to be the characteristics, leaving me to solve

x[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/tex]+z[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial z}[/tex]=0.

but i think thats wrong.
    Could someone please point me in the right direction.
    thanks
    [
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you clear on what "characteristics" are for a partial differential equation?

The characteristics for this equation are given by
    dx/dt= x, dy/dt= xy, and dz/dt= z. From the first and third, x= Aet and z= Cet. The second equation is dy/dt= Aety which separates as dy/y= Aetdt and integrates as ln(y)= Aet+ B' or y= BeAet= Bex. Also, z= Cet and, from x= Aet, et= x/A so z= Cex/A. That is, taking x= t as parameter, the charateristics are given by x= t, y= Bet, and z= Cet/A.

4. Jun 18, 2009 #3
    Ok thanks. So would the solution of the PDE still be just an arbitary function of the constant combination of variables? how do i combine all the characteristics to form a single solution?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook