PE 75 primitive Pythagorean triples

• Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Primitive
In summary: Second, we can use a faster function in python to find primitive triples called gcd(). It takes O(n*log(n)) time. Third, we can use a different algorithm called sieving. In summary, The question asks for primitive Pythagorean triples such that S=a+b+c<15×105. The first way is to find all the primitive triples and it takes 1.6 seconds in Python. The second way is to use a faster function called gcd(). It takes O(n*log(n)) time. The third way
Vanadium 50 said:
Nonsense.

I mean arrays don't support (|) or (&) operations. Of course, array's can be used. But I have to transform these operations into the loops and that's not so good.

I'll do the same thing but using extra loops to create operations.

I can do the same with set's and only using 2 simple operation symbol. I don't see how using arrays would change the run-time, without changing the algorithm itself. (Also I remember that sets are faster then when searching numbers in it. In my previous question about prime numbers I guess)

I think the problem is in the algorithm itself.

I can try to create a method where at some steps I can reset the num_set_0 so that the length of set does not exceed ten thousand

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, you're the boss. Your code runs in an hour, mine in milliseconds. What do I have to teach you. Good luck!

I am not the boss. I just argued that just changing set to arrays would not make any difference without chaging the algorithm itself.

Because lists do not support -, &, | operations.

I created functions for these oprations and turn my code into the list version. At max_sum = 10 000, my code is 33 times faster then list version.

If there's a faster way then doing these logical operations on lists other then creating functions, maybe things could be different. But I don't know how to do that.