PE/KE-Bullet Hits a Hanging Block?

• Thread starter Merlinnair
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block
In summary, the problem involves a .05 kg bullet hitting a 4 kg block hanging 1.5 m from the ceiling and displacing it by .50 m. To find the KE of the bullet before impact, one can use the equation KE = 1/2 mv^2, but the speed of the bullet can only be determined using conservation of momentum as a lot of the KE will be used for deformation and heating of the block. The maximum potential energy of the block can be found using the equation PE = mgh, with the assumption that the block will only have a small amount of KE converted into GPE. However, since momentum is not conserved in the vertical direction due to the constant gravitational field, another approach
Merlinnair
PE/KE--Bullet Hits a Hanging Block?

Homework Statement

A .05 kg bullet hits a 4 kg block hanging 1.5 m from the ceiling, displacing it by a height of .50 m. What is the KE of the bullet before it hits the block, and what is the max PE of the block?
(So basically, a bullet hits a hanging block and makes it swing upwards by .50 m)

Homework Equations

PE = mgh
KE = 1/2 mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I wanted to use 1/2 mv^2 to find the KE of the bullet before hitting the box, but where would I get v from? I figured I could set something equal to the max PE of the block which I'm assuming is 4 (9.8) (.50), but how would I find v?
I figured the max PE of the block would just be mgh, so: 4 (9.8) (.50) But somehow that felt too easy, and I thought there should be more too it?

Physics news on Phys.org

Merlinnair said:

Homework Statement

A .05 kg bullet hits a 4 kg block hanging 1.5 m from the ceiling, displacing it by a height of .50 m. What is the KE of the bullet before it hits the block, and what is the max PE of the block?
(So basically, a bullet hits a hanging block and makes it swing upwards by .50 m)

Homework Equations

PE = mgh
KE = 1/2 mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I wanted to use 1/2 mv^2 to find the KE of the bullet before hitting the box, but where would I get v from? I figured I could set something equal to the max PE of the block which I'm assuming is 4 (9.8) (.50), but how would I find v?
I figured the max PE of the block would just be mgh, so: 4 (9.8) (.50) But somehow that felt too easy, and I thought there should be more too it?

Using conservation of momentum is the only way to find the speed of the bullet.

A lot of the KE of the bullet will be used for deformation and heating of the block. So only a small amount of the KE of the bullet will be turned into the GPE of the block.

On the other hand, momentum is conserved. So you could use a momentum calculation to find out what the speed of the bullet was.

Edit: of course, momentum isn't conserved in the vertical direction, since we probably want to model the gravitational field as approximately constant. You could shoot the block horizontally and measure how far it swings out to? The momentum of the bullet would be transferred to the block as if the block were a pendulum.

Last edited:

1. How does the energy of a bullet hitting a hanging block affect the block's movement?

When a bullet hits a hanging block, the energy of the bullet is transferred to the block. This increase in energy causes the block to move in the direction of the bullet's impact.

2. What is the relationship between the bullet's kinetic energy and the block's potential energy after impact?

The bullet's kinetic energy is converted into the block's potential energy upon impact. This is due to the transfer of energy from the bullet to the block.

3. How does the mass of the bullet and the block affect the energy transfer during impact?

The mass of the bullet and the block play a significant role in the energy transfer during impact. The larger the mass of the bullet, the more kinetic energy it has, resulting in a greater transfer of energy to the block. Similarly, a heavier block can absorb more energy, resulting in a greater potential energy after impact.

4. How does the speed of the bullet affect the impact on the hanging block?

The speed of the bullet directly affects the amount of kinetic energy it has upon impact. A faster bullet will have a greater impact force, resulting in a larger transfer of energy to the block and a more significant movement of the block.

5. What other factors may influence the energy transfer during a bullet hitting a hanging block?

Other factors that may influence the energy transfer during a bullet hitting a hanging block include the angle of impact, the distance between the bullet and the block, and the materials and composition of both the bullet and the block.