Pebble flung from tire problem

• Thread starter gmianosi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tire
In summary, vector-add the velocity of the centre of the wheel to the relative velocity of the tyre from the centre :wink:
gmianosi

Homework Statement

A car whose wheels are of radius r feet is driven at a speed v. A pebble is thrown from one of the wheels.
A. Neglecting air resistance, find the max height above the roadway which the pebble can reach as a function of r, g, and v.
B. For very small values of v, what does the height become?
C. For very large v, what angle gives the maximum height launch?

Homework Equations

velocity=ω*radius

The Attempt at a Solution

A. I would be able to solve this problem if I could get the velocity of the pebble when it's launched off of the wheel. I just don't know how to figure this out.

B. For small values of v, the height would just become the height from which it is released.

C. For large v, an angle of 0°would give it its max height launch (assuming the wheel is spinning counter clockwise).

Physics news on Phys.org
hi gmianosi! :smile:
gmianosi said:
A. I would be able to solve this problem if I could get the velocity of the pebble when it's launched off of the wheel. I just don't know how to figure this out.

the velocity will be the same as the velocity of the bit of the tyre that it comes from

vector-add the velocity of the centre of the wheel to the relative velocity of the tyre from the centre :wink:
B. For small values of v, the height would just become the height from which it is released.

yes, but so what is the greatest height (for any launch position)?
C. For large v, an angle of 0°would give it its max height launch (assuming the wheel is spinning counter clockwise).

why? :confused:

(and what difference does the spin direction make?)

Deleted. I think tiny-tim's interpretation of the problem makes more sense than mine.

1. How do pebbles get flung from tires?

Pebbles get flung from tires when a vehicle is driving over a gravel or rocky surface. As the tire rotates, it picks up pebbles and flings them outward due to centrifugal force.

2. Can pebbles cause damage to cars when flung from tires?

Yes, pebbles can cause damage to cars when flung from tires. They can create small dents or scratches on the car's exterior. In some cases, they can also damage the windshield or other parts of the car if they hit with enough force.

3. How can I prevent pebbles from getting flung from my tires?

One way to prevent pebbles from getting flung from your tires is to avoid driving on gravel or rocky roads. You can also install mudflaps or wheel well liners on your car to help block the pebbles from being flung out.

4. Are there any safety concerns with pebbles being flung from tires?

Yes, there are safety concerns with pebbles being flung from tires, especially for pedestrians or other vehicles on the road. The pebbles can cause injuries or damage to other cars if they hit with enough force. It is important to drive cautiously and avoid driving too close to other vehicles when on gravel or rocky roads.

5. How can I remove pebbles that have become stuck in my tires?

If pebbles have become stuck in your tires, you can use a flathead screwdriver or similar tool to pry them out. It is important to be careful when doing this to avoid damaging the tire. If the pebble is too deep or difficult to remove, it may be best to take your car to a mechanic for assistance.