1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pebble flung from tire problem

1. Feb 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car whose wheels are of radius r feet is driven at a speed v. A pebble is thrown from one of the wheels.
    A. Neglecting air resistance, find the max height above the roadway which the pebble can reach as a function of r, g, and v.
    B. For very small values of v, what does the height become?
    C. For very large v, what angle gives the maximum height launch?

2. Relevant equations
    velocity=ω*radius

3. The attempt at a solution
    A. I would be able to solve this problem if I could get the velocity of the pebble when it's launched off of the wheel. I just don't know how to figure this out.

B. For small values of v, the height would just become the height from which it is released.

C. For large v, an angle of 0°would give it its max height launch (assuming the wheel is spinning counter clockwise).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi gmianosi! :smile:
    the velocity will be the same as the velocity of the bit of the tyre that it comes from

vector-add the velocity of the centre of the wheel to the relative velocity of the tyre from the centre :wink:
    yes, but so what is the greatest height (for any launch position)?
    why? :confused:

(and what difference does the spin direction make?)

4. Feb 24, 2013 #3

tms

Deleted. I think tiny-tim's interpretation of the problem makes more sense than mine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted