Pedal Power: A Business Success Story & Wiring Questions

In summary, the speaker is discussing their pedal powered business that uses 24v DC motors connected to the back wheel of a bike. They have wired multiple generators in parallel and are experiencing a decrease in the expected power output. They are questioning if this is due to the generators cancelling each other out and if there is a better wiring configuration. The speaker also mentions using 2x 16v 500F ultracapacitors in series and using diodes to isolate the generators. Another person suggests that all the diodes must be forward biased for the desired outcome.
colintonks
Hi, this is my first post so sorry it is not a contribution!

Anyway, I have a pedal powered business that is doing very well. We use 24v DC Motors as seen here
http://buggies.builtforfun.co.uk/FactFiles/motors.html" . Each motor is connected to the back wheel of the bike (we use a diode next to each motor), so when people pedal it creates about 100w. My question is about wiring. To save time, 3 or 4 of the bike generators are wired in parallel so that we only have one wire per four bikes returning to the charge controller where they all join up. Each bike was tested prior to the event, producing about 5 amps each (we operate a 24v system). However, we found that when all 12 bikes were operated together we only seemed to manage a maximum of 18amps. This was bizarre. I expected to get at least 800w, not 250w.

I hope this is somewhat clear.

So my question is, because we have these generator in parallel motors are somehow cancelling out each other? Is there a better configuration other than wiring each motor back to the charge controller individually?

Thanks for your help!
Colin

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the load on these generators?

TVP45 said:
What is the load on these generators?

2x 16v 500F UltraCapacitors in series

http://www.tecategroup.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_62_66&products_id=122

Does that answer the question?

Thanks
Colin

Thanks. How are the generators isolated from one another?

TVP45 said:
Thanks. How are the generators isolated from one another?
there is a diode on the + side of each generator to prevent the current of one motor driving the other. The three groups of four motors join together. Here is a rough diagram that I hope you can make sense of (attached)

thanks
colin

Attachments

• System Block Diagram v2.jpg
    System Block Diagram v2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 501
I think I understand. You are paralleling voltages. That makes it a little easier on everybody and may get the caps charged faster due to a reduction in series resistance (I can't tell all that from the diagram, but that looks right). However, the currents in parallel don't add.

It seems to me that if one motor is generating more voltage than another, the diode of the motor with less voltage will be reverse biased and none of the energy from that motor will be used.

To do what I think you want to do, all of the diodes must be forward biased. That means the voltage of the capacitor must stay below the voltage of the motor generating the least voltage.

Maybe you just need a bigger capacitor or perhaps a rechargeable battery.

Belay my post. Skeptic2 sounds right.

Related to Pedal Power: A Business Success Story & Wiring Questions

1. What is "Pedal Power" and why is it considered a business success story?

"Pedal Power" is a company that uses stationary bikes to generate electricity and power events. It is considered a business success story because it has been able to combine a unique and eco-friendly concept with profitability.

2. How does "Pedal Power" generate electricity?

The stationary bikes are connected to a generator which converts the mechanical energy from pedaling into electrical energy. This energy is then stored in batteries or used immediately to power events.

3. Can "Pedal Power" be used for larger events and businesses?

Yes, "Pedal Power" can be scaled up to accommodate larger events and even provide electricity for businesses. Multiple bikes can be connected together to generate more electricity.

4. Is "Pedal Power" cost-effective compared to traditional sources of electricity?

Yes, "Pedal Power" can save money in the long run as it relies on human-powered energy rather than expensive sources like fossil fuels. Plus, the cost of renting the bikes for events is often offset by the novelty and marketing potential of the concept.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using "Pedal Power"?

No, "Pedal Power" has been designed with safety in mind. The bikes are securely anchored and the generator is enclosed with protective barriers. Additionally, trained staff are always present to ensure proper usage and address any safety concerns.