Pelican Flying Problem

• Thread starter Mitxigan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flying
In summary, the pelican dropped a fish from a height of 4.9 m while flying horizontally, and the fish traveled 7.5 m horizontally before hitting the water below. To calculate the pelican's initial speed, we can use the equation Vx=deltaX/t, which gives us a result in units of m/s. If the pelican were only 3.0 m above the water, the fish would travel a shorter distance before hitting the water, but we would need more information to calculate the exact distance.
Mitxigan
A pelican flying along a horizontal path drops
a fish from a height of 4.9 m. The fish travels
7.5 m horizontally before it hits the water
below.
What was the pelican’s initial speed? The
acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s^2
Answer in units of m/sIf the pelican was traveling at the same speed
but was only 3.0 m above the water, how
far would the fish travel horizontally before
hitting the water below?
Answer in units of mCan someone help me i have no idea how to solve this I am lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure. You did well on nuber one of the template. Now help us to provide adequate assistance (at the right level) by also completing 2 and 3. PF rules don't allow us to help if you don't . Why ? See the guidelines !

1. Homework Statement

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
[/B]
And eh, welcome to PF !

BvU said:
Sure. You did well on nuber one of the template. Now help us to provide adequate assistance (at the right level) by also completing 2 and 3. PF rules don't allow us to help if you don't . Why ? See the guidelines !

1. Homework Statement

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
[/B]
And eh, welcome to PF !

ok number 2 is

vx
dx 7.5
t

vfY
voY 0
aY -9.8
dY -4.9
t

i used this equation

s=1/2gt^2

but i can get the right answers

and number 3 is

i used that equation but i can´t get the right answerand sorry I am new idk how to ask correctly here and stuff

s=1/2gt^2
When you use this equation, what is the result telling you?

2. ) s=1/2gt^2
What is s ?

BvU said:
What is s ?
s is speed

BvU said:
What is s ?

like i get the wrong answer all the time

Like you multiply m/s^2 with s^2 and you are surprised you don't get something with the dimension of m/s ?

Likes physicsshiny
Mitxigan said:
s is speed
No, in the standard SUVAT equations s is distance. Speeds, initial and final, are represented by u and v.

BvU said:
Like you multiply m/s^2 with s^2 and you are surprised you don't get something with the dimension of m/s ?
No is just that i get the answer wrong not the dimensions

So now apply the equation I quoted, and describe what it can tell you. (Remember, s is not speed.)

NascentOxygen said:
So now apply the equation I quoted, and describe what it can tell you. (Remember, s is not speed.)
haruspex said:
No, in the standard SUVAT equations s is distance. Speeds, initial and final, are represented by u and v.

I used the equation Vx=deltaX/t

And i got it right thanks tho ;)

Mitxigan said:
I used the equation Vx=deltaX/t

And i got it right thanks tho ;)
That's the only equation you used? Since you showed no working here, we'll have to accept your word that you solved it correctly.

1. What is the "Pelican Flying Problem"?

The "Pelican Flying Problem" is a theoretical scenario in which a group of pelicans are attempting to fly in a V-formation. However, due to different wing sizes, some pelicans are flying faster than others, causing the formation to break apart and become inefficient.

2. Why is the "Pelican Flying Problem" important?

The "Pelican Flying Problem" is important because it highlights the importance of teamwork and efficiency in achieving a common goal. It also has implications in the study of aerodynamics and animal behavior.

3. How do scientists study the "Pelican Flying Problem"?

Scientists use computer simulations and models to study the "Pelican Flying Problem." They also observe and record the flight patterns of pelicans in their natural habitat to gather data.

4. What are some potential solutions to the "Pelican Flying Problem"?

Some potential solutions to the "Pelican Flying Problem" include adjusting the wing size of each pelican to be more similar, changing the position of pelicans within the V-formation, and implementing communication strategies among the pelicans.

5. What are the real-life applications of studying the "Pelican Flying Problem"?

Studying the "Pelican Flying Problem" can have real-life applications in improving the efficiency of human teamwork and group dynamics. It can also provide insights into how to optimize aerodynamics in aircraft design and improve animal conservation efforts.