1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pendulum Problem

1. Dec 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A pendulum is composed of a thin rod of length L = 50 cm, a moment of inertia of I = 0.2kgm2 with respect to its center and mass M = 400g. Attached to the bottom of the rod is a point mass (m = 200g). The pendulum swings in a vertical plane, attached by the top end to the ceiling.

2. Relevant equations

T = 2∏√(I/Mg x d)
    *I think*

3. The attempt at a solution

T = 2∏√(.2/(.4)(10) x .25)

No radius was given for the point mass, so I assumed the moment of inertia of center of mass is .2kgm2 and therefore the distance of center of mass (d) would be L/2 or .25m

Did I go about solving this correctly?

Also, the second problem asks: How long will it take for the pendulum to perform 100 oscillations?

Would I simply multiple the period I found from the first part by 100?

Thank you all for your time and consideration.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Don't guess.
    It helps to sketch the situation out:

- Which part of the rod is attached to the ceiling?
    - Which part of the rod has the point mass attached to it?

You are given the moment of inertia for a rod pivoted at the center of mass - but that is not where the rod is pivoted - so you need to adjust this (hint: parallel axis theorem).

... yes.
    The question is basically checking if you understand what "one period" means.

It's good to see you thinking beyond what's in the question - just remember that everything you want to assert has to be justified by something said inside the problem statement.

4. Dec 10, 2013 #3
    Hmm, I see.

The equation for moment of inertia at end of rod is Iend = mL2/3

Therefore, Iend = 1.33 kgm2

From my understanding of using the parallel axis theorem to calculate moment of inertia of a system, one would simply add up the inertias.

Isystem = Icom + Iend of rod + Ipoint mass

Isystem = .2kgm2 + 1.33kgm2 + 2.00kgm2

Isystem = 3.53kgm2

Does this sound more reasonable?

5. Dec 10, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's not how the parallel axis theorem works.

You should only have two terms to calculate inertia: ##I_{tot}=I_{rod}+I_{point}##

You can just look up the inertia for the rod-pivoted-about-one-end.
    However, since the question tells you the com inertia, they are expecting you to use that and the parallel axis theorem. Either way is correct but both together is not.

Aside: interesting... the PF spell-checker does not accept either "inertias" or "inertiæ" (accepted plurals for "inertia").

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted