1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Percent uncertainty?

1. Sep 14, 2004 #1
    hi, I'm attempting a physics problem... it is:
    What, roughly, is the percent uncertainty in the volume of a spherical beach ball whose radius is r= 2.86 plus or minus 0.09 m.
    Now, I tried to find the percent uncertainty by just doing .09/2.86, but I'm assuming I need to do something with the radius (in the way of changing it to the full volume...) before I can calculate this.
    I know that to find the volume it would be 4/3 pi R cubed, but after that... how does the volume correlate to the .09? Does that need to be altered as well? I know the answer is 9% but I would like to actually understand how the question is done!
    I'm just confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

General Rule : When quantities multiply, the relative errors in those quantities add up.

The volume is proportional to the cube of the radius. As a result the percent error in volume is thrice the percent error in the radius.

4. Sep 14, 2004 #3
    ok... so since I cube the radius, I multiply the % error by 3...
    ah. and that gives me 9%.
    You are a genius. Why must physics profs supply us with pages and pages of calculations when you can solve a problem like THAT instead...

5. Sep 15, 2004 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?