What is the speed of two objects after a perfectly inelastic collision?

In summary, the problem involves two objects with different masses and velocities colliding at an angle of 24 degrees. After the collision, the objects remain stuck together and the question asks for their final combined speed. The solution involves finding the initial and final momenta components in both the x and y directions and equating them to find the final velocity, which is found to be 8.072856 m/s. The direction of the final velocity does not matter for this problem.
Agent M27

Homework Statement

A 6 kg object moving with a speed of 9.9 m/s collides with a 19 kg object moving with a velocity of 7.2 m/s in a direction 24* from the initial direction of motion of the 6 kg object. What is speed of the two objects after the collision if they remain stuck together?

Homework Equations

Px = m1v1icos[tex]\theta[/tex]+m2v2icos[tex]\theta[/tex] = m1v1fcos[tex]\theta[/tex] + m2v2fcos[tex]\theta[/tex]

Py = m1v1isin[tex]\theta[/tex]+m2v2isin[tex]\theta[/tex] = m1v1fsin[tex]\theta[/tex] + m2v2fsin[tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Edit I realized my original way was faulty in its logic.

So what I did was I began by finding the initial and final momenta components in both the x and y directions for the two particles. Being that they stick together their final velocity ought to be the same.

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Pxi = m1v1cos[tex]\theta[/tex] + m2v2cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

=184.37302

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Pyi = m1v1sin[tex]\theta[/tex] + m2v2sin[tex]\theta[/tex]

=55.641573

As I mentioned their final velocity should be equal since they are stuck together. Equating my initial momenta to my final momenta in the x direction I get the following:

Vf = [tex]\frac{(m1v1cos\theta + m2v2cos\theta}{(m1+m2)cos\theta}[/tex]

=8.072856 m/s

When I checked it using the momenta of the y direction I come to a different value for the final velocity which doesn't make sense so I know I made a mistake somewhere... Thanks in advance.

Joe

Edit: I tried a new way, but

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

Thanks Doc Al, are you referring to the first way I solved the problem or referring to this edited version? The first way did not work, so that's why I tried a new method. Thanks for all your help in all of my posts.

Joe

Actually, your first attempt was the correct solution. How do you know the answer you got is wrong?

Agent M27 said:
Thanks Doc Al, are you referring to the first way I solved the problem or referring to this edited version? The first way did not work, so that's why I tried a new method.
I was referring to your original post, which looked fine to me. (I haven't looked at your revision.)

It is an online homework module, and this is not the first question that I have been correct about and it kicked back my answer as incorrect...Thanks for your assistance.

Joe

Thought so. Could be you're entering too many significant figures.

vela said:
Thought so. Could be you're entering too many significant figures.

Do you know the direction (angle) after collision?

inky said:
Do you know the direction (angle) after collision?
Why would that matter?

Doc Al said:
Why would that matter?

I mean after collision, two objects stuck together. So velocities are the same but problem didn't mention direction is angle theta. I think angles are not the same before and after collision.

inky said:
I mean after collision, two objects stuck together. So velocities are the same but problem didn't mention direction is angle theta. I think angles are not the same before and after collision.
True, but the direction of the final velocity doesn't matter for this problem. All they ask for is the speed.

What is a perfect inelastic collision?

A perfect inelastic collision is a type of collision in which two objects stick together after colliding and move with a common velocity. In this type of collision, kinetic energy is not conserved, and some of the energy is lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation of the objects.

What are the conditions for a perfect inelastic collision to occur?

For a perfect inelastic collision to occur, the colliding objects must have the same mass and velocity before the collision. They should also stick together after the collision and move with a common velocity.

What is the difference between a perfect inelastic collision and an elastic collision?

In a perfect inelastic collision, the colliding objects stick together and move with a common velocity, while in an elastic collision, the objects bounce off each other with no loss of kinetic energy. Inelastic collisions result in a decrease in kinetic energy, while elastic collisions conserve kinetic energy.

What are some examples of perfect inelastic collisions?

A common example of a perfect inelastic collision is a car crash, where the cars stick together and move as one after the collision. Another example is a ball of clay hitting a wall and sticking to it. In both cases, some of the kinetic energy is lost, and the objects stick together after the collision.

How is momentum conserved in a perfect inelastic collision?

Momentum is conserved in a perfect inelastic collision because the total momentum of the system before and after the collision remains the same. Although kinetic energy is lost, the total mass and velocity of the objects do not change, resulting in the conservation of momentum.