Mercury Perihelion Precession: Analytic Derivation

In summary: Anyway I believe we have to consider the Schwarzschild solution for the Sun at the center of solar system and then calculate both the relation between the proper time of a clock on the Earth respect to the Schwarzschild coordinate time and the same for the proper time of Mercury.You opened an I level thread asking for an analytic derivation:In summary, you are asking for a derivation of Mercury perihelion precession starting from the Einstein Field Equation. There are many sources that could provide this information, including textbooks on general relativity.
cianfa72
TL;DR Summary
Analytic derivation of Mercury perihelion precession
HI,

I'm curios about the analytic derivation of Mercury perihelion precession starting from EFE - Einstein Field Equation (or simply just from Schwarzschild solution of the EFE).

Can you advise me about some source or online material to learn it ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Uhm, how about almost every textbook on GR? Which book(s) on GR did you use to understand the EFE?

Likes vanhees71
cianfa72 said:
Summary:: Analytic derivation of Mercury perihelion precession

HI,

I'm curios about the analytic derivation of Mercury perihelion precession starting from EFE - Einstein Field Equation (or simply just from Schwarzschild solution of the EFE).

Thanks.
I just searched and found this. Looks like the real deal:

http://www.math.toronto.edu/~colliand/426_03/Papers03/C_Pollock.pdf

Likes FactChecker
Thank you (meanwhile I found it also on Carroll 'Lecture Notes on General Relativity'). As far as I can understand the result is given in the Schwarzschild coordinates ('far-away' coordinate time ##t##, reduced radius ##r## and angular displacement ##\phi##).

On Carrol there is also a derivation for the apsidal frequency defined as ##2\pi## divided by the time it takes for the ellipse to precess once around.

From a physical point of view to 'interpret' this result I believe we have to employ the 'correct' interpretation for ##r## and ##t## in particular. Now to check the results of the observations about the precession of Mercury perihelion (e.g. to check the calculated apsidal frequency against observation results) which physical 'time' we have to take in account ?

cianfa72 said:
Thank you (meanwhile I found it also on Carroll 'Lecture Notes on General Relativity'). As far as I can understand the result is given in the Schwarzschild coordinates ('far-away' coordinate time ##t##, reduced radius ##r## and angular displacement ##\phi##).

On Carrol there is also a derivation for the apsidal frequency defined as ##2\pi## divided by the time it takes for the ellipse to precess once around.

From a physical point of view to 'interpret' this result I believe we have to employ the 'correct' interpretation for ##r## and ##t## in particular. Now to check the results of the observations about the precession of Mercury perihelion (e.g. to check the calculated apsidal frequency against observation results) which physical 'time' we have to take in account ?
You are looking for the precession of an orbit per revolution. That's a measurable observable - independent of the theory of gravity you employ.

PeroK said:
In any case, for something on this scale there is effectively a universal time throughout the solar system. There is no need for time measurements of less than a second (at most).
Could you kindly better explain (to me :wink: ) this point ?

cianfa72 said:
Could you kindly better explain (to me :wink: ) this point ?
We can practically manage with universal time in everyday life and in Newtonian mechanics. The effects of velocity and gravitational-based time dilation are negligible except in a few cases where very precise time synchronisation is required.

If you calculate the period of Mercury in Mercury's proper time, for a clock on Earth and Schwarzschild coordinate time, these will vary negligibly given observations made in days, hours, minutes and seconds.

PeroK said:
If you calculate the period of Mercury in Mercury's proper time, for a clock on Earth and Schwarzschild coordinate time, these will vary negligibly...
Not sure to grasp it: do you mean the relation between Mercury's proper time and (proper time) measured by a clock on the Earth on one hand and the relation between Mercury's proper time and Schwarzschild coordinate time on the other ?

cianfa72 said:
Not sure to grasp it: do you mean the relation between Mercury's proper time and (proper time) measured by a clock on the Earth on one hand and the relation between Mercury's proper time and Schwarzschild coordinate time on the other ?
All of them. Do the calculations.

PeroK said:
All of them. Do the calculations.
Sorry not sure to be able to do the calculation. Anyway I believe we have to consider the Schwarzschild solution for the Sun at the center of solar system and then calculate both the relation between the proper time of a clock on the Earth respect to the Schwarzschild coordinate time and the same for the proper time of Mercury.

Last edited:
You opened an I level thread asking for an analytic derivation:

cianfa72 said:
Summary:: Analytic derivation of Mercury perihelion precession

HI,

Thanks.

Then, you say you can't actually follow any of the mathematics or do any calculations?

cianfa72 said:
sorry not sure to be able to do the calculation.

So, you're just wasting our time?

PeroK said:
So, you're just wasting our time?
No, that was not my intention. I was just interested to the logic to employ to do the calculation.

PeroK said:
You are looking for the precession of an orbit per revolution. That's a measurable observable - independent of the theory of gravity you employ.
True, but measuring this observable can decide between different theories of gravity. So far Einstein's GR passed all high-precision tests (I don't know to which PPN order nowadays, but it's amazing which precision can be achieved nowadays with, e.g., pulsar timing).

vanhees71 said:
True, but measuring this observable can decide between different theories of gravity. So far Einstein's GR passed all high-precision tests (I don't know to which PPN order nowadays, but it's amazing which precision can be achieved nowadays with, e.g., pulsar timing).
The point is that you predict the precession using either Newton or GR, but there is only one experimental measurement. One can, as they did in the 19th century, measure the precession of Mercury without any recourse to GR.

Likes cianfa72 and vanhees71
cianfa72 said:
I was just interested to the logic to employ to do the calculation.

The logic is that, for the case of the Mercury perihelion precession, the difference between Schwarzschild coordinate time, Mercury's proper time, and the Earth's proper time is negligible, so it doesn't matter which one you want to use for interpretation. Mathematically speaking, the time used in the calculation is Schwarzschild coordinate time; it would be possible to do the calculation explicitly using the proper time of observers on Earth (which is the time ticked by the clocks of the actual observers making the observations), but that would be adding a lot of tedious complication for no useful purpose, given my statement above about the differences between the times being negligible.

Similar remarks apply for this case regarding the difference between the Schwarzschild ##r## coordinate, which is what appears in the math, and proper distance in the radial direction, which is what most people's intuitive interpretation is going to use.

Likes cianfa72
PeterDonis said:
Similar remarks apply for this case regarding the difference between the Schwarzschild ##r## coordinate, which is what appears in the math, and proper distance in the radial direction, which is what most people's intuitive interpretation is going to use.
ok, consider for instance the proper distance in the radial direction from the center of the Sun to Mercury: it is the spacetime 'length' calculated over the spacelike hypersurface of a given Schwarzschild coordinate time ##t##, I guess.
In principle we have to calculate the spacetime length of each spacelike path belonging to that hypersuface joining the center of the Sun and Mercury and then picking the maximum.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
We can practically manage with universal time in everyday life and in Newtonian mechanics. The effects of velocity and gravitational-based time dilation are negligible except in a few cases where very precise time synchronisation is required.
An extreme real-world example being the GPS system, which would have large errors if it did not adjust for gravitational time dilation near the Earth.

cianfa72 said:
consider for instance the proper distance in the radial direction from the center of the Sun to Mercury: it is the spacetime 'length' calculated over the spacelike hypersurface of a given Schwarzschild coordinate time , I guess.

Yes. But the difference between this and the simple radial coordinate ##r## of Mercury in Schwarzschild coordinates is negligible. So it works fine to just think of the radial coordinate ##r##, which is what appears in the math, as being the same as the proper distance, which is what is easy for your intuition to grasp.

cianfa72 said:
In principle we have to calculate the spacetime length of each spacelike path belonging to that hypersuface joining the center of the Sun and Mercury and then picking the maximum

This is just another way of saying that you want the length of the spacelike geodesic between the center of the Sun and (the center of) Mercury, which is what "spacetime length" means.

Likes cianfa72
PeterDonis said:
This is just another way of saying that you want the length of the spacelike geodesic between the center of the Sun and (the center of) Mercury, which is what "spacetime length" means.
sorry maybe i was wrong: in case of spacelike geodesics it should the minimum and not maximum :rolleyes:

cianfa72 said:
in case of spacelike geodesics it should the minimum and not maximum

Yes.

What is Mercury Perihelion Precession?

Mercury Perihelion Precession is a phenomenon in which the point of closest approach of the planet Mercury to the Sun, known as perihelion, gradually shifts over time. This shift is caused by the gravitational influence of other planets and is an important aspect of understanding the dynamics of the solar system.

Why is it important to study Mercury Perihelion Precession?

Studying Mercury Perihelion Precession allows scientists to better understand the gravitational interactions between planets and how they affect the orbits of celestial bodies. It also provides insight into the overall structure and evolution of the solar system.

How is the Analytic Derivation of Mercury Perihelion Precession calculated?

The Analytic Derivation of Mercury Perihelion Precession is calculated using the theory of general relativity, which describes how gravity affects the curvature of space and time. This theory allows scientists to accurately predict the amount of precession that should occur based on the mass and position of Mercury and other planets.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the Analytic Derivation of Mercury Perihelion Precession?

The accuracy of the Analytic Derivation of Mercury Perihelion Precession can be affected by several factors, including the accuracy of the measurements of Mercury's orbit, the influence of other celestial bodies, and any unaccounted for effects such as the presence of dark matter.

What are the implications of the Analytic Derivation of Mercury Perihelion Precession for our understanding of the universe?

The Analytic Derivation of Mercury Perihelion Precession provides evidence for the theory of general relativity and helps to refine our understanding of the laws of gravity. It also allows us to make more accurate predictions about the behavior of other celestial bodies and the structure of the universe as a whole.