Understanding Periodic Motion: Proving and Explaining its Repeating Nature

In summary, the article provides a definition of periodic behavior and a test to determine if a waveform is periodic.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
A ball dropped from a height of 4.00 m makes an elastic collision with the ground. Assuming no mechanical energy is lost due to air resistance, show that
the ensuing motion is periodic.
Relevant Equations
1-D Kinematic equation
For part (a) of this problem,

1670219975278.png

The solution is,
1670219997324.png

However why did say show the motion is periodic, but then the solutions don't show it, instead explain how it is periodic?

Is there a way to prove that the motion is periodic other than the solution to part (b)?
1670220130981.png

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think periodic means?

Likes ChiralSuperfields and malawi_glenn
haruspex said:
What do you think periodic means?
Time taken for 1 cycle of a motion.

Callumnc1 said:
No, that's the period if it is periodic. How do you decide whether a motion is periodic?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Callumnc1 said:
No, that is called "the period".
What does periodic (motion) mean? And why do you think the motion of the ball in this problem is a periodic motion.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Thank you @haruspex and @malawi_glenn for your replies! A motion is periodic when the period of each cycle is the same. I think the motion is periodic in this case because mechanical energy is conserved as there are no non-conservative forces acting so the max height will be the same each cycle.

Kind regards,
Callum

Callumnc1 said:
instead explain how it is periodic?
Callumnc1 said:
the motion is periodic in this case because mechanical energy is conserved as there are no non-conservative forces acting so the max height will be the same each cycle.
spot on bro!

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Callumnc1 said:
Thank you @malawi_glenn!
Now to be more precise regarding the periodic motion of this ball. What can you say about the time for one cycle? The ball will reach same max height each bounce. How does that affect the time of each cycle?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Callumnc1 said:
A motion is periodic when the period of each cycle is the same.
It is important that the motion actually have a cycle. The definition of "periodic" should include that. When in doubt, Google "periodic definition" or "periodic definition mathematics". You can get hits such as this one.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Callumnc1 said:
A motion is periodic when the period of each cycle is the same.
I concur with @jbriggs444. Can you come up with a sharper definition? How do you define "the same"? What if the motion is complicated? For example, the picture shows the readings of an electrocardiogram (EKG). Is the heartbeat as evidenced by the EKG periodic? What makes, or doesn't make, it so?
EKG.png

Likes ChiralSuperfields, PeroK and malawi_glenn
A motion is periodic when the period of each cycle is the equal. A cycle of the motion starts and ends at the same point which can be arbitrarily chosen.

I think the EKG is periodic because it starts and ends at the same point and the period is the same for each cycle.

Is that better?

Many thanks!

I agree that the EKG is periodic, but you're not there yet.

What starts and ends? What same point? Time increases to the right on the horizontal axis and no point on it is the "same" as some other point on it. The vertical axis is voltage.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
I agree that the EKG is periodic, but you're not there yet.

What starts and ends? What same point? Time increases to the right on the horizontal axis and no point on it is the "same" as some other point on it. The vertical axis is voltage.
Thank you @kuruman for your reply!

I tried to draw what I think is the period of the EKG,
1670285360816.png

The period will be the same as long as you find the same points each cycle, for example,
1670285443197.png

So when I mean by the 'same' points (coordinates on the EKG graph) in that they have the same voltage values, but different time values. The difference between the finial and initial time values for the same voltage is the definition of the period, correct?

Many thanks,
Callum

Likes berkeman
Callumnc1 said:
So when I mean by the 'same' points (coordinates on the EKG graph) in that they have the same voltage values, but different time values. The difference between the finial and initial time values for the same voltage is the definition of the period, correct?
You are definitely on the right track, but there is one final step that we all want you to take to use the standard test for a periodic waveform, as hinted about by this reply:
jbriggs444 said:
It is important that the motion actually have a cycle. The definition of "periodic" should include that. When in doubt, Google "periodic definition" or "periodic definition mathematics". You can get hits such as this one.

Can you write the fundamental equation that defines periodic behavior based on that article? :smile:

Likes ChiralSuperfields
berkeman said:
You are definitely on the right track, but there is one final step that we all want you to take to use the standard test for a periodic waveform, as hinted about by this reply:Can you write the fundamental equation that defines periodic behavior based on that article? :smile:
Thanks for your reply @berkeman! I found after some research, that a period function must have the following property:
1670288197099.png

Where P = the period of the function and n = non-zero integers.

To me all that equation is really saying at that for a function to be periodic, there must be at least two x-values that have the same y-value. But then that would include parabolas?

I don't think parabolas are considered periodic functions, so I think the correct interpretation is that there must be a domain of x-values which have the same y-value.

Many thanks!

Likes berkeman
Callumnc1 said:
I don't think parabolas are considered periodic functions, so I think the correct interpretation is that there must be a domain of x-values which have the same y-value.
The parabolic y value versus time of a bouncing ball with no energy loss in the bounces (coefficient of restitution = 1.00) is definitely periodic, which you can show with that equation. :smile:

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Good work! Now what would an appropriate ##f(x)## look like for the bouncing ball that got this thread rolling? What would ##x## and ##P## be? Be as specific as you can, and you may define extra variables if you feel you need them.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
for the bouncing ball that got this thread rolling?
Uh-oh, vertigo, I'm getting dizzy...

:wink:

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Likes berkeman
Good work. Note also that the plus sign in your equation can be replaced by ##\pm## in this case, since the parabola is symmetric forward and backward in time. That won't always be the case for periodic functions. :smile:

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Callumnc1 said:
To me all that equation is really saying at that for a function to be periodic, there must be at least two x-values that have the same y-value. But then that would include parabolas?
That equation says that for every x, there are infinitely many other x-values that have the same y-value. Those x values are x+p, x+2p, x+3p, ... along with x-p, x-2p, x-3p, ...

So you can take a snapshot of one period of the graph, slide it over by one period and have something identical to the snapshot of the next period.

Now then, you quote an equation which says that the period is:$$P=\sqrt{\frac{2h}g}$$But that period is the time to fall from rest to ground. If you take a snapshot of that much of the graph and slide it over by one period, does it match the next piece of the graph?

Likes ChiralSuperfields and berkeman
I believe the period should be ##P=2\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}}##, i.e. twice the time it takes to reach the ground from height ##h##. To complete the cycle, it has to go back to the release height.

Likes ChiralSuperfields, jbriggs444 and berkeman
Last edited:
I would just say that if t=0 is the time the ball was dropped at rest from the height h, the ball will get back at the height h and have speed 0 at t = P.
Periodic motion is same position and same velocity when the time P has elapsed.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
malawi_glenn said:
I would just say that if t=0 is the time the ball was dropped at rest from the height h, the ball will get back at the height h and have speed 0 at t = P.
Periodic motion is same position and same velocity when the time P has elapsed.
Ok thank you @malawi_glenn !

1. What is the period of a bouncing ball?

The period of a bouncing ball is the amount of time it takes for the ball to complete one full bounce, from the moment it leaves the ground to the moment it returns to the ground again.

2. How is the period of a bouncing ball affected by the height of the bounce?

The period of a bouncing ball is directly related to the height of the bounce. The higher the ball bounces, the longer the period will be, as the ball will take more time to reach its maximum height and return to the ground.

3. Does the material of the ball affect its period?

Yes, the material of the ball can affect its period. A more elastic ball will have a shorter period, as it can bounce higher and faster. A less elastic ball will have a longer period, as it will not bounce as high or as quickly.

4. How does air resistance impact the period of a bouncing ball?

Air resistance can have a small impact on the period of a bouncing ball. As the ball bounces, it will interact with the air molecules, which can slightly slow down the ball's motion. However, for most practical purposes, the effect of air resistance on the period of a bouncing ball is negligible.

5. Is the period of a bouncing ball affected by the force with which it is dropped?

Yes, the period of a bouncing ball is affected by the force with which it is dropped. The higher the initial force, the higher the ball will bounce and the longer the period will be. This is because a greater force will give the ball more energy, allowing it to bounce higher and take longer to return to the ground.