How Do You Calculate the Period of Oscillation in a Harmonic Potential?

In summary, a harmonic potential with total energy E > 0 has two turning points, xA and xB, and an equation of motion for an object moving within it. The kinetic and potential energies can be expressed as functions of time and it can be shown that the total energy is constant. The period of oscillation can be calculated using the integral given and evaluated for the given potential. The idea of considering distance over time leads to the integral and helps understand its origin.
elevenb

Homework Statement

A harmonic potential is parameterised as:

[tex]V(x)=\frac{k}{2}(x-x_{0})^2[/tex]An object moves within this potential with a total energy E > 0.
(i) Where are the two turning points of the motion xA and xB?

(ii) Write down the equation of motion for the object, and use it to find explicit expressions for the kinetic and potential energies as a function of time. Show that the total energy is constant.

(iii) Show that the period of oscillation is given by:

[tex]t= \sqrt{2m}\int_{X_{a}}^{X_{b}}\frac{dx}{\sqrt{E-V(x)}}[/tex]

and evaluate this integral for the given potential.

Homework Equations

[/B]
OK so I have worked my way through part (i) and (ii) , but I can not see how that integral is the right one, surely this is just integrating 2/v wrt x? I don't understand how that would get you the period?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Motivate it in your mind with the idea of distance over time. If it were moving at a constant speed, and you knew Xa and Xb, what would be the period?

Now try it in little short segments. Suppose you have a small distance over which you approximate the speed as constant. What will be the time required to travel this small little distance?

Now, what do you do to add up a bunch of times for small little distances?

Likes elevenb
Thank you so much, been working for a while and could not see where it came from, but now I do! Thank youuu

Likes DEvens

1. What is a period of harmonic motion?

The period of harmonic motion refers to the time it takes for one full cycle of a periodic motion to occur. This can be seen in various phenomena such as pendulums, springs, and waves.

2. How is the period of harmonic motion calculated?

The period of harmonic motion can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant. This formula applies to simple harmonic motion, where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium.

3. What factors can affect the period of harmonic motion?

The period of harmonic motion can be affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude (maximum displacement) of the motion. In addition, external factors such as friction and air resistance can also play a role in altering the period.

4. How does the period of harmonic motion relate to frequency?

Frequency and period are inversely related, meaning that as the period increases, the frequency decreases. The frequency of harmonic motion is calculated using the formula f = 1/T, where f is the frequency and T is the period.

5. What are some real-life examples of harmonic motion?

There are many examples of harmonic motion in everyday life, such as a pendulum swinging back and forth, a mass on a spring oscillating up and down, the vibrations of guitar strings, and the motion of a swing on a playground. Harmonic motion can also be seen in natural phenomena such as ocean waves and the motion of planets in their orbits.