Period of small oscillations

You're on the right track. Just be careful with your logic. It isn't clear why you're saying ##V(x_m) = E##. Better to say ##E = T(x_m) + V(x_m)##. You want to show that ##E < \frac{\lambda}{2a}## is impossible since we know that ##\frac{\lambda}{2a}## is the minimum value of V(x) + T(x) for all values of x (except at x = 0). You already know that there is no value of x such that V(x) + T(x) is equal to ##\frac{\lambda}{2a}## at x = a. Now
synkk
Q: http://gyazo.com/1ee7eee0134c25a23b4ad7a6972e1e46

part a)

I have drawn the graph and calculated ## V'(x) = \dfrac{3\lambda x^2 (x^4 + a^4) - \lambda x^3(4x^3)}{(x^4+a^4)^2} = 0 ## and found using the graph that the value of x when the particle is in a stable equilibrium is ## x= -3^{\frac{1}{4}}a ## but I'm not sure how to find the small period of oscillations, I know the formula is ## \dfrac{2\pi}{w} = 2\pi \sqrt{\dfrac{m}{V''(X)}} ## but working out V''(x) is fine, but subbing in the value of x is a lot of algebra to do without a calculator and I have a feeling there is an easier way which I am missing

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your approach is good. I don't see an easier way. If you've already found an expression for V''(x), then it's not too bad to substitute the equilibrium value for x and simplify.

Note that the first derivative V'(x) has the form f(x)/g(x). At the equilibrium value xo, you have f(xo) = 0.

Then V''(xo) = f##\;##'(xo)/g(xo) - f(xo)g'(xo))/g(xo)^2.

The second term on the right is zero because f(xo) = 0.

TSny said:
I think your approach is good. I don't see an easier way. If you've already found an expression for V''(x), then it's not too bad to substitute the equilibrium value for x and simplify.

Note that the first derivative V'(x) has the form f(x)/g(x). At the equilibrium value xo, you have f(xo) = 0.

Then V''(xo) = f##\;##'(xo)/g(xo) - f(xo)g'(xo))/g(xo)^2.

The second term on the right is zero because f(xo) = 0.
Thanks, that helped make it easier,

After plugging it all in I ended up with the period of small oscillations to be ## 2\pi \sqrt{\dfrac{4a^3}{3^{\frac{5}{4}}\lambda}}## which seems strange, doesn't look "nice" and usually in my homework problems solutions usually look tidy.

Last edited:
Moving on to the next part of the question, I need to show that if x = a it implies that ## v_0 > \frac{\lambda}{a} ## I done this using the energy equation ## E = \frac{1}{2}v_0^2 + V(X) ## and subbing in x = a I get ## v_0^2 + \frac{\lambda}{a} = 2E## as E > 0 and 2E>0 then ## v_0^2 > \frac{\lambda}{a} ## I'm having troubles proving it the other way round however,

i.e. if ## v_0^2 > \frac{\lambda}{a} ## then x = a is it as simple to say that as ## E > \frac{\lambda}{a} ## and ##E = \frac{1}{2}v_0^2 + V(x) ## then V(x) must equal ## \frac{\lambda}{2a} ## in order for E to be ## > \frac{\lambda}{a} ## i.e. x = a ----------- NVM this is incorrect, using ## E > \frac{\lambda}{a} ## is a result I got from assuming x = a :|

Also, generally I'm confused about the question, it states that if the particle in the positive x direction then show it will go through a, but if it goes through a then wouldn't the particle keep on moving to + infinity? If so, then how could it possible go back to -a

Last edited:
If ##v_o^2 > \lambda/a## then ##E > \lambda/(2a)##. The only way the particle will not make it to ##x = a## is if the kinetic energy goes to zero at some value of ##x##, say ##x_{\rm max}##, such that ##x_{\rm max} < a##. Think about what that means for the potential energy at ##x_{\rm max}## and use the sketch of your graph to argue that there is no such ##x_{\rm max}## that is less than ##a##.

For the last question, note that it is possible for the particle to make it past ##x = a## without moving on to + infinity. Again, your graph might be helpful.

TSny said:
If ##v_o^2 > \lambda/a## then ##E > \lambda/(2a)##. The only way the particle will not make it to ##x = a## is if the kinetic energy goes to zero at some value of ##x##, say ##x_{\rm max}##, such that ##x_{\rm max} < a##. Think about what that means for the potential energy at ##x_{\rm max}## and use the sketch of your graph to argue that there is no such ##x_{\rm max}## that is less than ##a##.

For the last question, note that it is possible for the particle to make it past ##x = a## without moving on to + infinity. Again, your graph might be helpful.

ok, thanks for the tips, the reason I had troubles with believing it went back down is because I thought 3^(1/4)a was < a, lol.

Anyway, here is my attempt for proving the "only if":
if ## v_0^2 > \frac{\lambda}{a} ## then as ## V(x) > 0 ## for all positive x then ## E > \frac{\lambda}{2a} ##

assume ## x \not= a ## then ##\exists x_{m} ## s.t. ## x_m < a ##

this implies that ## V(x_m) = E ## as the particle stops moving - but ## as V(x_m) < V(a) = \frac{\lambda}{2a} ## this implies that ## E < \frac{\lambda}{2a} ## which is a contradiction hence x must equal a

is this correct?

for the last part:

if the particle goes to x = -a then the energy must be below the maximum point of the graph, i.e. ## E < 3^{1/4}a \Rightarrow \frac{1}{2} v_0^2 + V(-a) < 3^{1/4}a \Rightarrow v_0^2 < 2\times3^{1/4}a - \frac{\lambda}{a} ##

and ## v_0^2 > \frac{-\lambda}{a} ## so ## \frac{-\lambda}{a} < v_0^2 < 2\times3^{1/4}a - \frac{\lambda}{a} ##

Last edited:
synkk said:
Anyway, here is my attempt for proving the "only if":
if ## v_0^2 > \frac{\lambda}{a} ## then as ## V(x) > 0 ## for all positive x then ## E > \frac{\lambda}{2a} ##

There is no need for the phrase "V(x) > 0 for all positive x". At x = 0 you can show that ##E > \frac{\lambda}{2a}## and by conservation of energy, ##E > \frac{\lambda}{2a}## for all values of x that the particle makes it to.

assume ## x \not= a ## then ##\exists x_{m} ## s.t. ## x_m < a ##

this implies that ## V(x_m) = E ## as the particle stops moving - but ## as V(x_m) < V(a) = \frac{\lambda}{2a} ## this implies that ## E < \frac{\lambda}{2a} ## which is a contradiction hence x must equal a

is this correct?

Yes, essentially. I had suggested that you could approach the problem by assuming that the particle does not make it past ##x = a## and show that this leads to a contradiction. Thus, if the particle does not make it to ##x = a## it must momentarily come to rest at some ##x = x_m## such that ##x_m < a##. Since the graph of V(x) is monatonically increasing, ##V(x_m) < V(a) = \frac{\lambda}{2a}##. Therefore, at ##x = x_m##, ##E = V(x_m) < \frac{\lambda}{2a}##. This contradicts the fact that we know the particle starts out with ##E > \frac{\lambda}{2a}##. I think this is pretty much the same as your argument.

for the last part:

if the particle goes to x = -a then the energy must be below the maximum point of the graph, i.e. ## E < 3^{1/4}a \Rightarrow \frac{1}{2} v_0^2 + V(-a) < 3^{1/4}a \Rightarrow v_0^2 < 2\times3^{1/4}a - \frac{\lambda}{a} ##

and ## v_0^2 > \frac{-\lambda}{a} ## so ## \frac{-\lambda}{a} < v_0^2 < 2\times3^{1/4}a - \frac{\lambda}{a} ##

You just need to make sure the particle does not make it over the hill at ##x = 3^{1/4}a##. So, argue that E must be less than ##V(3^{1/4}a)##. You know that ##E = v_0^2/2##. So, this should give you the restriction on ##v_0^2##. Note that ##v_0^2## is certainly positive, so the lower limit of ##v_0^2## will be 0.

TSny said:
There is no need for the phrase "V(x) > 0 for all positive x". At x = 0 you can show that ##E > \frac{\lambda}{2a}## and by conservation of energy, ##E > \frac{\lambda}{2a}## for all values of x that the particle makes it to.

Yes, essentially. I had suggested that you could approach the problem by assuming that the particle does not make it past ##x = a## and show that this leads to a contradiction. Thus, if the particle does not make it to ##x = a## it must momentarily come to rest at some ##x = x_m## such that ##x_m < a##. Since the graph of V(x) is monatonically increasing, ##V(x_m) < V(a) = \frac{\lambda}{2a}##. Therefore, at ##x = x_m##, ##E = V(x_m) < \frac{\lambda}{2a}##. This contradicts the fact that we know the particle starts out with ##E > \frac{\lambda}{2a}##. I think this is pretty much the same as your argument.

You just need to make sure the particle does not make it over the hill at ##x = 3^{1/4}a##. So, argue that E must be less than ##V(3^{1/4}a)##. You know that ##E = v_0^2/2##. So, this should give you the restriction on ##v_0^2##. Note that ##v_0^2## is certainly positive, so the lower limit of ##v_0^2## will be 0.

thanks a lot for this - just one confusion - how do you know that ## E = v_0^2/2 ##?

I was thinking as ## v_0^2/2 = E - V(x) ## as ## E <V(3^{1/4}a) ## then ## E - V(X) < \dfrac{3^{3/4}\lambda}{a} ## so ## 0 < v_0^2 < \dfrac{3^{3/4}\lambda}{2a} ## is my logic here correct?

synkk said:
thanks a lot for this - just one confusion - how do you know that ## E = v_0^2/2 ##?

Evaluate the total energy at x = 0.

synkk said:
I was thinking as ## v_0^2/2 = E - V(x) ## as ## E <V(3^{1/4}a) ## then ## E - V(X) < \dfrac{3^{3/4}\lambda}{a} ## so ## 0 < v_0^2 < \dfrac{3^{3/4}\lambda}{2a} ## is my logic here correct?

The first equation should be ##v_0^2/2 = E##. Since the graph of ##V(x)## has only one maximum (at ##x = 3^{1/4}a##), the particle will stop, turn around, and make it to ## x = -a## as long as ##E < V(3^{1/4}a)##.

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
The first equation should be ##v_0^2/2 = E##. Since the graph of ##V(x)## has only one maximum (at ##x = 3^{1/4}a##), the particle will stop, turn around, and make it to ## x = -a## as long as ##E < V(3^{1/4}a)##.

thanks very much... this is my first course in physics so I'm slightly struggling, but got there in the end!

1. What is the Period of Small Oscillations?

The period of small oscillations refers to the time it takes for a system to complete one full cycle of oscillation. It is dependent on the mass, stiffness, and damping of the system.

2. How is the Period of Small Oscillations calculated?

The period of small oscillations can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the system, and k is the stiffness constant.

3. What is the difference between small oscillations and large oscillations?

Small oscillations refer to oscillations that occur within a limited range of displacement and follow a linear relationship between displacement and restoring force. Large oscillations, on the other hand, involve larger displacements and do not follow a linear relationship.

4. How does damping affect the Period of Small Oscillations?

Damping is a force that reduces the amplitude of oscillations over time. It can affect the period of small oscillations by increasing it, as the system takes longer to complete one full cycle due to the energy dissipation caused by damping.

5. What are some real-life examples of Period of Small Oscillations?

Some examples of small oscillations can be seen in pendulums, springs, and mass on a spring systems. These systems exhibit small oscillations due to the relationship between displacement and restoring force.