Periodic function problem

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the value of a periodic function with a period of 12 when given specific values. The key concept is that f(x)=f(x+na) where n is an integer. By using this fact, the value of f(43) can be found by relating it to f(7) and f(11).
Aya
I can someone pleas help me with this problem? Thanks.

A periodic function f has a period of 12. If f(7)=-2 and f(11)=9, determine the value of f (43)

how do you do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, 43 - 7 = 36.

If f(x) has a period of a that means f(x)=f(x+na) where n is an integer.

Can you figure out the problem using that fact?

^ I don't get it can u show me an example?
or would it be like this

f(x)=f(x+na)
f (43)=f(7+12(-2))
f(43)=-17

It just means that if the period is 12 then f(43)=f(43+n*12) where n is an integer.

So f(43)=f(43+12)=f(43-12)=f(43+24)...

In your example you say that f(43)=f(7+12(-2)). This is true but it means that f(43)=f(-17).

You are given f(7) and f(11). Can you relate one of those to f(43) somehow?

f(7)=-2

f(7)=(7+12+12+12)
=f(43)

so f(43)=-2

is that right, what about f(11)? or do i not need to use that?

Yes that's right.

You found out f(43) so I don't know why you're worried about f(11).

^ ok, thanks

1. What is a periodic function?

A periodic function is a mathematical function that repeats its values at regular intervals. In other words, it has a pattern that repeats itself over and over again.

2. What is an example of a periodic function?

An example of a periodic function is the sine function, which repeats itself every 2π radians (or 360 degrees).

3. How do you solve a periodic function problem?

To solve a periodic function problem, you need to first determine the period of the function. This can be done by finding the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs. Once the period is known, you can use this information to find the values of the function at any point in the interval.

4. What is the difference between a periodic and a non-periodic function?

The main difference between a periodic and a non-periodic function is that a periodic function has a repeating pattern, while a non-periodic function does not. This means that a non-periodic function does not have a specific period and its values do not repeat at regular intervals.

5. Can a periodic function have more than one period?

Yes, a periodic function can have more than one period. In fact, any function that has a repeating pattern can be considered periodic, regardless of the number of periods it has. However, the smallest period is typically considered the primary period of the function.