Generic Soliton Solution Periodicity: Restrictions & Examples

In summary, if you have a generic solution to Einstein's equations that does not have a horizon, then imposing a periodicity on the time will result in a thermal state.
Einj
Hello everyone, I have a question regarding the possible periodicity of time in a generic metric.
Suppose that for some reason I have a solution to Einstein's equations of the kind (in Euclidean time):

$$
ds^2_E=+f(r)dt_E^2+\frac{dr^2}{g(r)}+r^2(dx^2+dy^2).
$$

Am I always allowed to assign some periodicity to the Eucledean time ##t_E## or is there any restriction?

For example, I know that there is a particular solution called "thermal AdS" which is nothing but the usual AdS metric (i.e. not a black hole with an horizon) to which a periodic time has been assigned.

When can I do that?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A periodic euclidean time is equivalent to gluing the two ends of the path integral that prepares your state. This is then equivalent to preparing a thermal state. So periodic Euclidean time is always going to prepare a thermal state via the path integral. Whether or not it is a black hole depends on the actual path integral.

Note when I say path integral I mean that of the boundary CFT. So yes AdS and thermal AdS are the same as far as space-time geometry is concerned but in the latter the CFT is prepared in a thermal state. Black holes in the bulk are also dual to thermal CFTs (at least in most examples e.g. BTZ).

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the path integrals for thermal AdS and BTZ are closely related. In the former the path integral is a torus with one circle parametrized by Euclidean time and the other by the angular coordinate; the latter can be obtained simply by switching the roles of these two coordinates on the torus.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your reply! I guess my question was: since periodic Eucledean time always means thermal state for the boundary CFT, does this mean that if I have a generic soliton solution (no horizon) and I impose the time to be periodic this is going to be a thermal state? Do I have any constrain on the solution in order to be allowed to impose periodic time conditions?

Thanks a gain!

1. What is a soliton solution?

A soliton solution is a type of nonlinear wave solution that maintains its shape and amplitude as it propagates through a medium. It is characterized by its ability to retain its form even after colliding with other solitons or obstacles.

2. What does "generic soliton solution" mean?

The term "generic" in generic soliton solution refers to the fact that it is a solution that can be applied to a wide range of systems and conditions. It is not specific to any particular physical system or set of equations.

3. What are the restrictions for a soliton solution to exhibit periodic behavior?

A soliton solution must satisfy certain mathematical conditions in order to exhibit periodic behavior. These include having a finite energy, being a localized solution, and having a finite number of degrees of freedom.

4. Can you provide an example of a system that exhibits a generic soliton solution?

One example is the Korteweg-de Vries (KdV) equation, which describes the propagation of long, shallow water waves. It has a soliton solution known as the KdV soliton, which is a localized wave that maintains its shape and amplitude as it travels through the water.

5. How are soliton solutions relevant in real-world applications?

Soliton solutions have been observed in various physical systems, such as water waves, optical fibers, and plasma waves. They have practical applications in fields such as telecommunications, where solitons are used to transmit information over long distances without signal degradation.