Permeability with static and dynamic H fields

In summary, the permeability of a material is generally constant over frequency until eddy current effects start to become noticeable. However, in order to use the material in its linear region and avoid saturation, soft magnetic ferrite materials with low Br are typically used. The permeability of these materials can vary with frequency and material properties, creating a range of values. Hysteresis plots can illustrate this behavior.
SuccessTheory
If a material has a higher permeability (electromagnetism) than another when in the presence of a fixed H field, would it generally also have a higher permeability when in the presence of a changing H field?

Engineering news on Phys.org
no it doesn't : )

it depends on the material properties.

Heh, I'll consider this thread "solved". But our actual discussion in the other thread will hopefully be moved to a general forum since I pmed a moderator.

dude_ said:
no it doesn't : )

it depends on the material properties.

That is not correct. In general, the permeability is fairly constant over frequency, until eddy current effects start to become noticable.

SuccessTheory said:
If a material has a higher permeability (electromagnetism) than another when in the presence of a fixed H field, would it generally also have a higher permeability when in the presence of a changing H field?

Yes, the permeability is fairly constant over frequency. It is the relationship between B and H, as shown in the Magnetic Hysteresis plot on this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysteresis

berkeman said:
Yes, the permeability is fairly constant over frequency. It is the relationship between B and H, as shown in the Magnetic Hysteresis plot on this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysteresis

Thanks for your reply.

dude_ said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=244904

would you mind taking a look at this thread?

Lordy, that's an involved thread. But from a quick read, it seems off-target. The permeability for normal use of a ferrite or magnetic material has nothing to do with the magnetization M and saturation flux. You use the magnetic material in its linear region, so you stay away from saturation (where mu drops), and you use "soft" materials that do not have much Br. Especially if this is for a radio application, you are going to stay away from saturation and use a soft magnetic ferrite material.

Does that help?

Ah, thanks for that. But now I am at a loss as to how I can determine the permeability : ( because I was relying on the magnetization being an indicator of high permeability.

yeah that is true you should stay away from the saturation, this was what i said in that thread.

but, what is more, i am saying that the B/H ratio would change as the frequency is swept. after a certain frequency B/H ratio starts to fall down.

berkeman said:
Lordy, that's an involved thread. But from a quick read, it seems off-target. The permeability for normal use of a ferrite or magnetic material has nothing to do with the magnetization M and saturation flux. You use the magnetic material in its linear region, so you stay away from saturation (where mu drops), and you use "soft" materials that do not have much Br. Especially if this is for a radio application, you are going to stay away from saturation and use a soft magnetic ferrite material.

Does that help?

dude_ said:
yeah that is true you should stay away from the saturation, this was what i said in that thread.

but, what is more, i am saying that the B/H ratio would change as the frequency is swept. after a certain frequency B/H ratio starts to fall down.

It's certainly not constant over all frequencies. You can look at the datasheets for various ferrite materials to see their effective frequency ranges. There are even special ferrites (like material 43, IIRC) that become lossy on purpose at RF frequencies. They are used for EMI suppression, like in the form of ferrite beads on data lines. You definitely would not use one of them for signal processing!

I see what you mean from those hysteresis plots, it seems as if there are "two types of slopes", the one going up and then a less steep one when you are fighting the remenance. So I guess this means absolute permeability is actually a range between these values.

no this has nothing to do with hysterysis.

you would like to stay away from hysterysis as berkeman has suggested.

there is a linear region of operation of ferrite materials, where no hysterysis is observed, and this is the low field regime.

but what differs from ferrite to ferrite is that this linear region's slope changes with frequency and with material properties.

SuccessTheory said:
I see what you mean from those hysteresis plots, it seems as if there are "two types of slopes", the one going up and then a less steep one when you are fighting the remenance. So I guess this means absolute permeability is actually a range between these values.

Ok I missed the last sentence of your last post, but I understand now. Thanks.

Related to Permeability with static and dynamic H fields

1. What is permeability?

Permeability is a measure of the ability of a material to allow magnetic flux to pass through it.

2. What is the difference between static and dynamic H fields?

A static H field refers to a magnetic field that does not change over time, while a dynamic H field refers to a magnetic field that varies with time.

3. How does permeability change with static H fields?

In the presence of a static H field, permeability remains constant and does not change.

4. How does permeability change with dynamic H fields?

In the presence of a dynamic H field, permeability can change and is dependent on the frequency and amplitude of the field.

5. What is the significance of permeability in materials?

Permeability is an important factor in determining the magnetic properties of materials. It affects the strength of the magnetic field that can be generated in a material and is crucial in the design of electrical devices such as transformers and inductors.