Can a Permanent Magnet Hoverboard Work on a Magnetic Floor?

In summary, a person plans to build a floating magnet skateboard that will use 400 magnets each with 250g of lift. They are also planning to install an enclosed flywheel on the front of the board.
spikie1
Ive had a look through the forums regarding this subject but I've found more questions than answers to issues that i would like to know
firstly I am planning on building a perminant magnet hoverboard that floats on a perminant magnet floor
slightly crazy i know
the board is a skateboard in size I've covered it in holes 10mm dia 5 mm deep with a 6 hole pcd of 13mm so they are very closely packed together I've done this with a cnc mill so they are pretty accuratly spaced I am planning on doing the same with the floor was going to use a full sheet of ply as a starter
Now for some questions i know Earnshaws theorem won't allow a stable floating magnet in a stable field etc
but if the field is wide enough ie an ice rink i wouldn't slip out of the field as there are walls around the edge of the rink? Is that true would it work? Also issue with board flipping because of size of magnets been used approx 400 on a board would it flip because there isn't enough energy to flip board because there force only exerts over a small range individualy about 250g over about 10mm repulsively
so if boards can't flip because of range of the repulsive force even if it did the amount of force on the other side if the board is reduced due to the thickness of the board
and the board can't leave the field because there are walls around the rink
Would it work? Or would fields combine amoung small magnets etc
i haven't been able to find any info on fields in magnetic arrays and i don't really want to spend a huge anount on magnets just to find out that that there are other forces at work that I am unaware of
im hoping that 400 ish magnets each with 250g of lift will be enough to elivate a person 10mm and not flip the board and the walls around the rink will stop the board leaving the field
the floor will be same spacing and same magnets as board

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to mention i am also planning on mounting an enclosed flywheel on the front of the board in the hope that i can use the gyroscopic action of it to provide some steering by tilting the board I am hoping it will pull the nose left and right anyone know how much mass ill need in this?

1. What is a permanent magnet hoverboard?

A permanent magnet hoverboard is a type of personal transportation device that uses magnetic fields to levitate and move. It consists of a board with wheels, a battery, and powerful permanent magnets.

2. How does a permanent magnet hoverboard work?

A permanent magnet hoverboard works by utilizing the repelling force between two magnets of the same polarity. The board contains strong permanent magnets that interact with a magnetic track on the ground, creating a hover effect.

3. Is it safe to use a permanent magnet hoverboard?

Yes, a permanent magnet hoverboard is generally considered safe to use. However, as with any form of transportation, it is important to follow safety guidelines and wear proper protective gear while riding.

4. How fast can a permanent magnet hoverboard go?

The speed of a permanent magnet hoverboard can vary depending on the model and terrain, but most hoverboards have a maximum speed of around 10-12 miles per hour.

5. Are there any limitations to where a permanent magnet hoverboard can be used?

Yes, a permanent magnet hoverboard can only be used on a specially designed magnetic track or surface. It cannot be used on regular roads or sidewalks.