How many ways can 6 cards be chosen from a deck to have all suits present?

In summary, permutation and combination are both ways of arranging or selecting items from a given set, with permutation considering the order of the items and combination not. The formula for calculating permutations is n! / (n-r)!, where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items you want to arrange. Permutations with repetition allow for the same item to be repeated multiple times in a sequence, while combinations without repetition do not. The formula for calculating combinations is n! / (r! * (n-r)!), and combinations can be used to solve real-life problems and calculate probabilities.
Robert Houdart

Homework Statement

In how many ways can one choose 6 cards from a normal deck of cards so as to have all suits present?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

4 different cards can be chosen in 13*13*13*13 ways. Now we have to choose 2 remaining cards from 48 cards. This can be done in 48C2 ways.. Therefore, total number of ways will be 13*13*13*13*47*24

However, the book says 13*13*13*13*48*47 (I tend to disagree since we have to choose the remaining 2 cards rather than arrange them) am i right??

Physics news on Phys.org
Robert Houdart said:

Homework Statement

In how many ways can one choose 6 cards from a normal deck of cards so as to have all suits present?

Homework Equations

4 different cards can be chosen in 13*13*13*13 ways. Now we have to choose 2 remaining cards from 48 cards. This can be done in 48C2 ways.. Therefore, total number of ways will be 13*13*13*13*47*24

However, the book says 13*13*13*13*48*47 (I tend to disagree since we have to choose the remaining 2 cards rather than arrange them) am i right??

Both answers look wrong to me! I'm assuming that the order the cards are drawn does not matter. To see this just consider the Hearts.

You have 13 choices of Heart - let's say we have the 2 of Hearts. But, if the first extra card is a Heart (5, say), then this will represent the same situation with these the other way round.

To do it correctly, you have to consider the cases where you have: 3 of 1 suit and 1 each of the others; and, 2 each of 2 suits and 1 each of the others.

Likes Robert Houdart
I agree with PeroK, both of your mentioned possibilities are definitely wrong. There is no requirement that the first four cards you draw need to be of different suits and several of the options you are counting are going to be equivalent.

Likes Robert Houdart
Robert Houdart said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Your answer is 32,216,808, the book's answer is 64,433,616, but the correct answer is between 6,000,000 and 12,000,000; I won't say now exactly what it is. Reasons for the descrepancy has already been explained informally by others.

Likes Robert Houdart
The OP seems to have gone. In any case, I wondered if it could be done using the original method and, if one is careful, it can be done:

##(13)^4(48x)(36y + 11z)##

Where x, y and z need to be chosen to take care of any duplicates.

Just to prevent any future needs for warnings: The OP has only been away for a few hours. It is far too early to start discussing the solution.

PeroK said:
##(13)^4(48x)(36y + 11z)##
Not sure how you are getting that, but it doesn't fit with the answer I get. If you want to discuss further, better use a private conversation.

Let us take suits as A, B, C, D
Now the different case which arises are
3 A 1 B 1 C 1D
1 A 3 B 1 C 1D
1 A 1 B 3C 1D
1 A 1 B 1C, 3 D
2 A 2 B 1C, 1D
2 A 1 B 2C 1D
2 A 1 B 1C 2 D
1 A 2 B 2C 1D
1 A 2 B 1C 2 D
1 A 1 B 2C 2 D

Therefore required number of ways will be 13*13*13 (4* 13c3) + 13*13*6 (13c2 * 13c2) = 6217510
So am I right this time??

Robert Houdart said:
Let us take suits as A, B, C, D
Now the different case which arises are
3 A 1 B 1 C 1D
1 A 3 B 1 C 1D
1 A 1 B 3C 1D
1 A 1 B 1C, 3 D
2 A 2 B 1C, 1D
2 A 1 B 2C 1D
2 A 1 B 1C 2 D
1 A 2 B 2C 1D
1 A 2 B 1C 2 D
1 A 1 B 2C 2 D

Therefore required number of ways will be 13*13*13 (4* 13c3) + 13*13*6 (13c2 * 13c2) = 6217510
So am I right this time??

Correct formulas, wrong final answer.

Likes Robert Houdart
Ray Vickson said:
Correct formulas, wrong final answer.
I guess 8682544 is the correct answer.

Correct. There is also a more straight forward way of counting the possible different cases than listing them and risking to miss one. Can you figure it out?

Robert Houdart said:
I guess 8682544 is the correct answer.

Yes, it is.

1. What is the difference between permutation and combination?

Permutation and combination both involve arranging or selecting items from a given set. However, permutation considers the order of the items, while combination does not. In other words, permutation is for ordered sequences, while combination is for unordered groups.

2. How do I calculate the number of possible permutations?

The formula for calculating permutations is n! / (n-r)!, where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items you want to arrange. For example, if you have 10 objects and want to arrange them in groups of 3, the calculation would be 10! / (10-3)! = 10! / 7! = 10 x 9 x 8 = 720 possible permutations.

3. What is the difference between permutations with repetition and without repetition?

Permutations with repetition allow for the same item to be repeated multiple times in a sequence, while permutations without repetition do not. For example, in the word "BOOK", there are 4! = 24 possible permutations without repetition, but 4⁴ = 256 possible permutations with repetition since there are 4 letters and each can be repeated 4 times.

4. How do I calculate combinations?

The formula for calculating combinations is n! / (r! * (n-r)!), where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items you want to select. For example, if you have 10 objects and want to select groups of 3, the calculation would be 10! / (3! * (10-3)!) = 10! / (3! * 7!) = 120 possible combinations.

5. Can combinations be used to solve real-life problems?

Yes, combinations can be used to solve real-life problems such as combinations of items in a menu, combinations of people in a group, or combinations of lottery numbers. They can also be used to calculate probabilities in various scenarios.