Perpetual Motion

• Thread starter Kalrag
  • Start date

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2018 Award
wow I am glad I joined this site however from the completely dumb level I come from I can almost see how this argument can be solved "proof" all the big names I have spoken to about this all say it cant be done because of this and that and the other thing but none of them talk about the use of potential energy and how it can be used in a way to over come the energy loss through friction can some one help me out with this one please???
What are you asking? The use of something with potential energy can convert that to kinetic and then to another form of energy such as heat. This energy can be used to drive a multitude of things. One of the prime examples is a hydroelectric dam. It uses the potential energy of water changing into kinetic energy as it flows downhill and converts that into electrical energy. You will have more than enough energy to overcome friction, as the rest is converted into electrical energy. However, some of that energy WILL be lost as friction and other effects that there is no way to overcome unless you could get rid of the friction.

ok so I dont pretend to be anything but dumb on this subject but from a theoretical point of veiw if that "downhill" never finished would the energy created be more than that lost???

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2018 Award
ok so I dont pretend to be anything but dumb on this subject but from a theoretical point of veiw if that "downhill" never finished would the energy created be more than that lost???
I wouldn't even try to think like that. Inventing situations is not going to make it any easier for you to understand and learn, it will merely serve to confuse.

And also, what lost energy are you talking about? I've already explained that normally you already have more than enough energy to overcome friction, as otherwise the turbines wouldn't turn and we wouldn't get any electricity.

OmCheeto

Gold Member
wow I am glad I joined this site however from the completely dumb level I come from I can almost see how this argument can be solved "proof" all the big names I have spoken to about this all say it cant be done because of this and that and the other thing but none of them talk about the use of potential energy and how it can be used in a way to over come the energy loss through friction can some one help me out with this one please???
hmm... I don't mean to talk around you, but..... Does anyone know of an I-phone app that converts conjectures into equations?

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving