Personal Blogs | PF Journals

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: er...person's name to the left of the post it pulls up a drop-down menu with the options to view the profile, send a PM, send email, find posts by the person, and add to your buddy list.
Have your own personal blogs :smile:

https://www.physicsforums.com/journal.php

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nifty! Great to see so many recent upgrades to this site! You must have been very busy on these ideas this summer :-)

Earlier, I tried to "discuss" my own first entry. I couldn't see where my reply went.

Yeah the system is a bit clunky right now, I'm going to continue to work on it's usability and style.

...and the point is? is it like personal grafitti or something?

jimmy p said:
...and the point is? is it like personal grafitti or something?

If that's what you want it to be, yes. Journals or Blogs are just places for you to write whatever thoughts you feel like writing...and it looks like the one here has the option that you can either make those thoughts public (this is a good place for those random pet theories people come up with based on absolutely no data but feel the need to share anyway), or you can keep them private, like a diary. I'm not sure of the need to use PF bandwidth for private diaries, but the public blog seems like a good solution to some people who can't resist posting things that don't belong in the forums :wink: Besides, we may get to see the other members' more creative sides once they are given an outlet for that :smile:

Though, I'm wondering, when a journal entry is marked private, can Greg still read it? Is this a way for Greg to go journal snooping? :smile:

Seems like a nice thing to have to me. But, hey, nobody is forcing you to write stuff there :wink:

I've written an entry. Seems a bit random, but there you go... that's me.

Moonbear said:
Though, I'm wondering, when a journal entry is marked private, can Greg still read it? Is this a way for Greg to go journal snooping? :smile:
hehe, I will just write everything in Dutch :devil: :biggrin: :wink:

Monique said:

Write in French instead! It's cool to be Quebecois! :biggrin:

Private: "0 private are private"
lol, I like it.

Monique said:

Shhhh!
*Crumbles Whispers*: There is a Translate into English function built into Google Toolbar, and there's loads of free translation sites! So we can still snoop on Monique's and Dagenais journal and reveal all their inner secrets! :-p

editing a journal entry: time limit?

Question for Greg: Can a given journal entry be edited indefinitely? Or is there a time limit (like for ordinary post--which can't be edited after a 20 hour or so window). I'm thinking that if someone wanted to post an essay on a topic--they might want to keep it up to date by regular tweaking.

Doc Al said:
Question for Greg: Can a given journal entry be edited indefinitely? Or is there a time limit (like for ordinary post--which can't be edited after a 20 hour or so window). I'm thinking that if someone wanted to post an essay on a topic--they might want to keep it up to date by regular tweaking.

This is actually a very good question. I was about to make a list of ... er... "something" in my Journal, and would like to add to that list periodically. Would be nice to know ahead of time if I can do this indefinitely.

Zz.

Put your shopping list on there, so everyone can see what you are going to buy this week, and make suggestions.

Will a link to the journal page be added to a menu somewhere, or is the only way to get there to open a thread I've posted in and click on "read my journal"? And conversely, will a menu be added somewhere in the journal section so we can get back to the rest of the forums once done with snooping...erm...writing in our journals?

Oh, nevermind, I just spotted the link at the top of the page...doh!

Last edited:
Thanks for setting this up.

I second the need for the usual link bar at the top of the journal pages, both main and individual.

There should probably also be a more obvious link to people's profile page than the avatar. The "Posts by this person" link would be useful too.

What does "lock journal" do? Make the whole journal inaccessible to other people? Or just prevent comments?

Are the two occurences of "private" in "0 private are private" intentional? If so what does the phrase mean?

plover,

If you click on the poster's name to the left of the post it pulls up a drop-down menu with the options to view the profile, send a PM, send email, find posts by the person, and add to your buddy list.

enigma said:
plover,

If you click on the poster's name to the left of the post it pulls up a drop-down menu with the options to view the profile, send a PM, send email, find posts by the person, and add to your buddy list.
Yes, but these don't seem to be available on the journal pages.

plover said:
What does "lock journal" do? Make the whole journal inaccessible to other people? Or just prevent comments?

It makes your journal entry inaccessible for viewing and comments from you and other people. In essence, it closes it.

plover said:
Are the two occurences of "private" in "0 private are private" intentional? If so what does the phrase mean?

It means that the person hasn't designated any journal entry as private. If you make a journal entry and choose 'Private' you will be the only person to view it. Most journal entries are 'Public' by default unless you choose 'Private'.

The_Professional said:
It makes your journal entry inaccessible for viewing and comments from you and other people. In essence, it closes it.
It makes the journal unviewable by the author? That seems odd.
It means that the person hasn't designated any journal entry as private. If you make a journal entry and choose 'Private' you will be the only person to view it. Most journal entries are 'Public' by default unless you choose 'Private'.
Yes, that much is clear. However, "0 entries are private ", or simply "0 private", would indicate as much. As it stands, the intention of the wording is unclear.

plover said:
It makes the journal unviewable by the author? That seems odd.

When you lock your journal, yes. It's a feature. Try making a journal entry and then lock it.

plover said:
Yes, that much is clear. However, "0 entries are private ", or simply "0 private", would indicate as much. As it stands, the intention of the wording is unclear.

How is it unclear? it simply means there's no private entry :)

The_Professional said:
When you lock your journal, yes. It's a feature. Try making a journal entry and then lock it.
Ok, I tried it.

But while I wasn't questioning that hiding the journal from other users is useful, I still don't get why locking oneself out is a good idea...
How is it unclear? it simply means there's no private entry :)
The actual meaning of the line is probably not unclear -- it is the purpose of the syntax "0 private are private" that is unclear. (Adding an entry just produces "1 private are private", which is no better.) The syntax appears to be just a normal typing error, in which case there is no problem. However, if the syntax is not a mistake, then its purpose is not obvious. In any event, it's not particularly important.

Better:

i was thinkign of posting a lesson a day on string theory
do you think it would be more usefull if
I created a new username and did journal entries
or just posted in the forum
or just used current name in journla

Related to Personal Blogs | PF Journals

1. What is a personal blog or PF journal?

A personal blog or PF journal is an online platform where individuals share their personal thoughts, experiences, and opinions on a particular topic or theme. It can include a variety of content such as written posts, photos, videos, and audio recordings.

2. Why do people create personal blogs or PF journals?

People create personal blogs or PF journals for a variety of reasons. Some do it as a form of self-expression and to share their passions with others. Others use it as a therapeutic outlet to process their thoughts and feelings. It can also serve as a platform to connect with like-minded individuals and build a community.

3. Can personal blogs or PF journals be monetized?

Yes, personal blogs or PF journals can be monetized through various methods such as advertising, sponsored content, affiliate marketing, and selling digital products or services. However, it is important to note that monetizing a blog requires a significant amount of time, effort, and audience engagement.

4. How often should one update their personal blog or PF journal?

There is no set rule for how often one should update their personal blog or PF journal. It ultimately depends on the individual's goals and schedule. Some bloggers post daily, while others post weekly or even less frequently. The key is to maintain consistency and provide quality content for your audience.

5. Are personal blogs or PF journals a reliable source of information?

Personal blogs or PF journals may not always be a reliable source of information as they are based on personal opinions and experiences rather than factual evidence. It is important to critically evaluate the content and do further research if needed. However, personal blogs can provide valuable insights and perspectives on certain topics.